[GUIDE]Full ROM backup/dump for MTK6573 & MTK6516 phones !!![NOT nandroid backup]

Search This thread

balamu96m

May 2, 2011
Chennai
Hi all MTK6573/MTK6516 users !!!!

SEE SECOND POST FOR MTK6516 phones.

THIS POST IS FOR MTK6573 phones.

This is for all MTK6573 users with Android 2.3(.x). Also for all B63M phones !!

Follow this guide to backup your FULL ROM !! You can even flash your phone through FlashTools with this COMPLETE backup !!!

ROOT IS REQUIRED !!

Here is the guide:

1) ROOT is necessary. It is recommended to put the phone in 'Airplane mode' so that it won't disturb the process and make sure you have ~500 mb space in SD card.

2) Download 'MTK-6573-BackUpTools.rar' from attachments and extract it to your SD Card. You'll have 2 folders - 'gscript' and 'Install'.

3) Install 'GScriptLite.apk' from gscript folder.

3) After installation, open the 'GScriptLite' application -> Menu -> Add Script.

4) Tick 'Needs SU ?'

5) Click 'Load File' and select 'Back23.sh' and then select 'save'

6) Now Click on 'Back 23' and Super User will ask for Permission and allow it. Nothing more to touch. Wait for few minutes. After few mins, it will say 'Auto Close is Cancelled'. Now its safe to close.

7) Your Back-Up will be in 'backup_' folder located in your SD card's root.
It will have files named ' firmware.info, preloader.img, nvram.img, seccnfg.img, uboot.img, boot.img, recovery.img, secstatic. img, misc.img, logo.img, expdb.img, cache.img, system.img, data.img' in that folder. Copy it to your computer and keep it at a safe place. More Over if you are posting in the forums or sharing it online, don't include ' data.img, cache.img and nvram.img' as they contain your personal information.

NOTE: The backup script is not created by me. Gathered all information from the web !!

Hit THANKS if you find this useful !!:D:D

Attachments

• MTK-6573-BakUpTool.rar
    426.2 KB · Views: 14,435
Last edited:

balamu96m

May 2, 2011
Chennai
For MTK6516 !!

THIS POST IS FOR MTK6516 phones.

This is for all MTK6516 users with Android 2.2(.x).

Follow this guide to backup your FULL ROM !! You can even flash your phone through FlashTools with this COMPLETE backup !!!

ROOT IS REQUIRED !!

Here is the guide:

1) ROOT is necessary. It is recommended to put the phone in 'Airplane mode' so that it won't disturb the process and make sure you have ~500 mb space in SD card.

2) Download 'MTK-6516-BackUpTools.rar' from attachments and extract it to your SD Card. You'll have 2 folders - 'gscript' and 'Install'.

3) After installation, open the 'GScriptLite' application -> Menu -> Add Script.

4) Tick 'Needs SU ?'

6) Now Click on 'Back 23' and Super User will ask for Permission and allow it. Nothing more to touch. Wait for few minutes. After few mins, it will say 'Auto Close is Cancelled'. Now its safe to close.

It will have files named ' firmware.info, preloader.img, nvram.img, seccnfg.img, uboot.img, boot.img, recovery.img, secstatic. img, misc.img, logo.img, expdb.img, cache.img, system.img, data.img' in that folder. Copy it to your computer and keep it at a safe place. More Over if you are posting in the forums or sharing it online, don't include ' data.img, cache.img and nvram.img' as they contain your personal information.

NOTE: The backup script is not created by me. Gathered all information from the web !!

Attachments

• MTK-6516-BakUpTool.rar
    426.2 KB · Views: 3,861
Last edited:

LeStonga

Mar 3, 2009
A few questions!

Hello!

Thank you for this software, it worked with making a dump of my rom. How do you create a scatter file to use in SP Flash Tool? Or do you have another program that I can use to flash these files back onto the phone?

The SP Flash Tool I am using V2.1129.00 does not show as many partitions as what was backed up by my phone with the default MT6573 scatter file that it comes with.

I keep getting errors trying to load/burn the files to my phone.

PLEASE HELP!!

balamu96m

May 2, 2011
Chennai
Hello!

Thank you for this software, it worked with making a dump of my rom. How do you create a scatter file to use in SP Flash Tool? Or do you have another program that I can use to flash these files back onto the phone?

The SP Flash Tool I am using V2.1129.00 does not show as many partitions as what was backed up by my phone with the default MT6573 scatter file that it comes with.

I keep getting errors trying to load/burn the files to my phone.

PLEASE HELP!!

You can try this:

Copy the backup_ folder from your sd card to your computer. Now place a copy of a the scatter file.txt in that folder.

Now in SP Flash tool, browse to the folder and select the scatter file that you placed.....all files will be loaded automatically......

LeStonga

Mar 3, 2009
It didnt work . . .

Hello!

I took your advice and attempted to load the scatter file from the same folder that the backup partitions are in.

A few of they files loaded on their own, not all of them, and their are still partitions missing.

When I open the scatter file in txt editor it shows all partitions.

When I open the scatter file in smart phone flash tool i only show
preloader
dsp
uboot*
bootimg*
recovery*
secro
logo*
android*
usrdata

The files above are what shows in sp flash tool program and the ones with the * are the files that load automatically.

I did try a smart phone flash tool version 5.1140 and the scatter file did load correctly with all the partitions, but again not all load and I get an error when I try to load them manually. In addition, I have never been able to successfully use version 5.1140 to flash.

I was able to flash in version 2.1129, but as I said I couldnt load every partition so I am missing my nvram and other partitions.

Can you recommend anything else?

Maybe a different version of sp flash tool that you know works? Maybe a different program all together?

THANKS!

yuweng

Feb 5, 2012
@Bala
Yo, bro, its been awhile since our last chat ! :eek: You have been like an android modding/ hacking teacher/ guru & i'm sure alot of users will benefit from all of it... ;)

@LeStonga
Yes, in fact your are correct, there is a software by linerty(these russians are so 'terror', not only hacking but coming out with tools to make it easier) that converts the extracted firmware.info back into scatter.txt...You can find the tuts & tools here.

The tuts even show you ways to upload with FlashTool too ! i know there is an upload function but never knew the way to use it though...:eek:

Reactions: balamu96m

LeStonga

Mar 3, 2009
Hello balamu96m!

Thank you for your suggestions, that was the website which I first followed instructions for.

As you can see however, even when Bruno (administrator of the tutorial you provided in the link) opened his scatter file, nvram partition is not shown. I was able to use the program balamu96m pointed me to and it made perfect backups of all my partitions.

My problem is that sp flash tool loads my scatter file and it is the same as Bruno's which is lacking several partitions, especially the nvram partition.

If i use an updated sp flash tool (v5), when I load my scatter file all of my partitions are shown, including nvram, but I have never had any success flashing my phone with that version.

Maybe I can use that version but someone has to help me set up the configurations to flash . .. i.e. download with or without battery, com, baud rate, etc.

Sp flash tool V2.11 was easy to use and straight forward, but even though my scatter lists all my partitions (when i open in a text editor), it only loads the partitions shown in bruno's tutorial, not including nvram.

balamu96m

May 2, 2011
Chennai
@Bala
Yo, bro, its been awhile since our last chat ! :eek: You have been like an android modding/ hacking teacher/ guru & i'm sure alot of users will benefit from all of it... ;)

@LeStonga
Yes, in fact your are correct, there is a software by linerty(these russians are so 'terror', not only hacking but coming out with tools to make it easier) that converts the extracted firmware.info back into scatter.txt...You can find the tuts & tools here.

The tuts even show you ways to upload with FlashTool too ! i know there is an upload function but never knew the way to use it though...:eek:

Hi yuweng bro!

It seems miui is going to release their source code........i read in the russian forum at 4pda that one mtk6573 was running miui 4 (ics).......is that true??

So when miui sources are out, can we build one for our mi-357/350n??

Waiting for your reply :)

yuweng

Feb 5, 2012
@Bala
AFAIK, Miui public part of their source code before the launch of their first android phone, Xiaomi M1 & now launching their next version M2 which is based on ARM Cortex-A8 & coincidentally, its just been launch today ! Its fully supported by the Miui team & it has two ROM, one ROM for daily use & the other one for you to flash their 'nightly' built. Best is that you can switch over to either one of them at any time ! Great for android enthusiastic...:D

However, of all hundreds over MT65xx android phone manufacturer all over the world, non of them actually ported it to Miui ! There is only one answer to this, it will be copied over to all other MT65xx ! Thats what Chinese are best at...(Oopps, i'm a Chinese too...:p)

So, i think you won't see an official Miui phone on MT65xx platform...:eek: Currently, official Miui ROM is for single SIM...:( You can check out Miui sources here & here

If its really true that the russian has ported Miui to MT65xx, very soon we'll have Miui running on every MT65xx...:eek:

What you said on the other thread is true, if Mediatek keep on keeping their source code, i think very soon they can keep it to themself forever....:p No android enthusiastic will ever buy their phone ever...:p Even HTC has released the source code for a whole bunch of devices recently after been pressured by android enthusiastic... :D

@LeStonga
AFAIK, FlashTool is not for flashing NVRam(IMEI). However, you can use it to backup NVRam then restore it. Typically, you only need to download boot, recovery, logo, android, usrdata. Normally, i just download 'android' partition only(system.img) I normally put a 'tick' at 'No Action' for NVRam...

FlashTool_1.jpg

There is a thread on how to backup & restoring your MT65xx IMEI by cybermaus just over a week ago...;)

vanlaosonya

Jun 7, 2012
help help

I have android phone china H4300. mediatek mtk6573. yesterday , i deleted stock launcher and format factory the phone. so i don't use it.
please help me up rom (i haved rom) or install the Launcher ,...
thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: hdnote

aze2learn

Nov 26, 2008
Hey balamu....

Can you please tell me how to restore this backup...???

Allow me to answer ... ;)

To restore this backup, 1st you need to convert the firmware.info into your own scatter.txt file. Read here : http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.com/2012/04/creating-rom-dump-of-your-mt65x3-device.html

Then you run SPflash tool, choose your scatter file and the appropriate area to flash. You don't need to flash all area. Just boot+system (android) to restore is sufficient. You can change the file by double-click at the appropriate row. Untick to deselect, tick to select which area to flash.

Again, no need to flash the whole thing ... some file contains private info such as nvram/userdata. I've read that many device already bricked by flashing wrong file (specially uboot) unless it's from your own backup.

hisoka8888

Jul 18, 2012
no cache.img, system.img, data.img

hi balamu, i need some help.
i have an mt6516 phone. i followed every step, but 3 files didn't show up i.e cache.img, system.img, data.img
in the end of running script, gscript show "no such files". my question are: is that normal? are those file important? any ideas to get these files?
i really need any help here.
so thx in advance

balamu96m

May 2, 2011
Chennai
hi balamu, i need some help.
i have an mt6516 phone. i followed every step, but 3 files didn't show up i.e cache.img, system.img, data.img
in the end of running script, gscript show "no such files". my question are: is that normal? are those file important? any ideas to get these files?
i really need any help here.
so thx in advance

they are really important...................you can retry the process again.......it should work.....!

Reactions: hisoka8888

hisoka8888

Jul 18, 2012
silly me

found out the problem. looks like i didn't do exactly one of your step "extract into sd card". i actually extract the content into a folder inside the sd card, so gscript can't find the "Install" folder. I copied the folder into sd card and redo the process then those file showed up. LOL.
anyway, nice share... :good::good:

1krokogator

Dec 9, 2011
Hi,Thanks for tutorial,I backup my phone,create scatter file and all goes ok but now i have 1 litl problem,my phone is mobiwire aquila mt6573 platform, he got factory recovery e3 and i wanna change to cwm and Bruno say that cwm must be specific for phone so is any chance to find cwm for my phone or any hack/swap from backup recovery or any other method?

Sorry guys on bad english or wrong section

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all MTK6573/MTK6516 users !!!!

SEE SECOND POST FOR MTK6516 phones.

THIS POST IS FOR MTK6573 phones.

This is for all MTK6573 users with Android 2.3(.x). Also for all B63M phones !!

ROOT IS REQUIRED !!

Here is the guide:

2) Download 'MTK-6573-BackUpTools.rar' from attachments and extract it to your SD Card. You'll have 2 folders - 'gscript' and 'Install'.

4) Tick 'Needs SU ?'

For MTK6516 !!

THIS POST IS FOR MTK6516 phones.

This is for all MTK6516 users with Android 2.2(.x).

ROOT IS REQUIRED !!

Here is the guide:

2) Download 'MTK-6516-BackUpTools.rar' from attachments and extract it to your SD Card. You'll have 2 folders - 'gscript' and 'Install'.

4) Tick 'Needs SU ?'

@Bala
    AFAIK, Miui public part of their source code before the launch of their first android phone, Xiaomi M1 & now launching their next version M2 which is based on ARM Cortex-A8 & coincidentally, its just been launch today ! Its fully supported by the Miui team & it has two ROM, one ROM for daily use & the other one for you to flash their 'nightly' built. Best is that you can switch over to either one of them at any time ! Great for android enthusiastic...:D

However, of all hundreds over MT65xx android phone manufacturer all over the world, non of them actually ported it to Miui ! There is only one answer to this, it will be copied over to all other MT65xx ! Thats what Chinese are best at...(Oopps, i'm a Chinese too...:p)

So, i think you won't see an official Miui phone on MT65xx platform...:eek: Currently, official Miui ROM is for single SIM...:( You can check out Miui sources here & here

If its really true that the russian has ported Miui to MT65xx, very soon we'll have Miui running on every MT65xx...:eek:

What you said on the other thread is true, if Mediatek keep on keeping their source code, i think very soon they can keep it to themself forever....:p No android enthusiastic will ever buy their phone ever...:p Even HTC has released the source code for a whole bunch of devices recently after been pressured by android enthusiastic... :D

@LeStonga
    AFAIK, FlashTool is not for flashing NVRam(IMEI). However, you can use it to backup NVRam then restore it. Typically, you only need to download boot, recovery, logo, android, usrdata. Normally, i just download 'android' partition only(system.img) I normally put a 'tick' at 'No Action' for NVRam...

FlashTool_1.jpg

There is a thread on how to backup & restoring your MT65xx IMEI by cybermaus just over a week ago...;)
    @Bala

@LeStonga

help help

I have android phone china H4300. mediatek mtk6573. yesterday , i deleted stock launcher and format factory the phone. so i don't use it.
    please help me up rom (i haved rom) or install the Launcher ,...
    thank you