Froyo and no Trackball update?

Search This thread

Kpow

Apr 13, 2009
Orlando
I wonder why Google didn't give us this update that the hacking community has had for so long. Thoughts?

pjcforpres

Nov 11, 2008
CR
Because they didn't even give us this update... who knows, maybe it will be in the actual release, if this isn't it.

Edit:

It seems that there IS this feature built in, just depens on the app, etc... at least some are reporting colored track ball alerts for differing apps.

Last edited:

Alleviate

Jul 19, 2009
I can confirm the above edit. I get different colors but no way of changing to a preference.

-------------------------------------
Sent from my Motorola Razr.

tamatama11

Jan 21, 2010
On my GF stock nexus phone i updated to froyo and for text it came up as magenta color.
I tried using handcent sms to change the color but i dont think it is configured yet to control that.

ben_zin

May 12, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
I just did a little test with AK notepad and set a notification to glow green and sure enough, it works. I guess the individual apps have to give you the option to change the color.

Kpow

Apr 13, 2009
Orlando
People are getting mixed results with the trackball. I can get AK Notepad to work, but nothing else does. On an AT&T N1

Andrew.s

Apr 28, 2010
I just did a little test with AK notepad and set a notification to glow green and sure enough, it works. I guess the individual apps have to give you the option to change the color.

That's what it is. I use SMS Popup for my text notification and the app itself gives me the option to change the trackball color. Everything else is still white.

nDrg

Jan 30, 2010
Edinburgh
I can see lilhermit creating a working patch for stock 2.2 seeing that Trackball Alert should work just fine now :)

cristianomad

May 23, 2010
My color trackball works with AK notepad!
Change the LED color settings, create a new note, set the remind and turn standby mode (press power button) and wait!

flak0

Jan 3, 2009
Pembroke Pines , FL
I wonder if the .34 kernel from cyanogen breaks the trackball . For those of u who its working what kernel version you have? .34 or .32 stock

codito

Nov 30, 2009
I really miss trackball alert and the modifications made to the messaging app, I need my colored notifications back!

D

diversificationied

There's a reason there are no configurable colors for the trackball.

The update to the trackball is behind the scenes and it's meant for the developers. It's up to the application makers to choose the colors for their notifications.

On the plus side, this is android and that's why we have things like lilhermits trackball notifcation alert modifier. =)

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah I'm disappointed with froyo because I wanted color track ball for my gmail, talk, etc. How will third party developers be involved with the core stock Google apps? That was the whole point, Google! I'm sure its only 3 lines of code to add into settings to switch the color.

Otherwise you would just root in the first place which defeats the whole point of waiting all this time for official support in froyo.

D

diversificationied

Third party developers can and already do send the information to light up the trackball.