[OTA][ZIP] Kitkat ND8 full unmodified ota

Search This thread

bigwillyg

Mar 1, 2011
I threw this on my wife's external sd but the stock recovery won't see it. I selected apply update from external storage but it doesn't see it. Do I need to put it in the root or a sub folder?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

bilgerryan

Inactive Recognized Developer
I threw this on my wife's external sd but the stock recovery won't see it. I selected apply update from external storage but it doesn't see it. Do I need to put it in the root or a sub folder?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

You need to rename it update.zip

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png

slyphin

Mar 16, 2009
my install fails and says failed to verify write signature and it reboots. its renamed to update.zip and im on mk3 stock

v3lvetf4ir

May 7, 2014
You'll be fine as long as you don't try to flash a 4.4 ROM without the 4.4 Bootloader (take the OTA or Odin the ND8 tar). That's what everybody bricked on, flashing ND8 on the MD4 Bootloader. You already have Knox, as long as you don't try to downgrade your firmware you should be fine.

I have virgin mobile as well on MK5. It'll be okay to flash the ND8 tar on Odin right? I've been waiting forever to get 4.4 and I'm itching to upgrade it, lol.

i.love.my.galaxy

Dec 29, 2013
I should have never done this damn update , apparently kit kat is so horrible that htc has put a hold on 4.4.2 until 4.4.3 is released to fix the battery drain issues with Android os and android system...Note - DO NOT TAKE THIS UPDATE well unless you want fast battery drain and high Android os and system usage

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy s3 , Protected by Otterbox Armor

marcran75

Jul 22, 2013
Syracuse,NY
I should have never done this damn update , apparently kit kat is so horrible that htc has put a hold on 4.4.2 until 4.4.3 is released to fix the battery drain issues with Android os and android system...Note - DO NOT TAKE THIS UPDATE well unless you want fast battery drain and high Android os and system usage

What you are stating is not true.Many ppl are reporting great battery life,performance and memory usage on this update. You shouldn't post telling ppl "do not update" because of your experience. Every phone reacts differently therfore not everyone is going to experience the same issues you are.

Sent from my BlackedOut VM GS3 running MOAR powered by DKP

bilgerryan

Inactive Recognized Developer

Whatever .. Numbers don't lie. It's the same if not better than 4.3. Not knowing how battery drain works is most people's problem. Turn off your data, Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth when not in use, those are the biggest battery drains. You don't need data when your screen is off. Check out the MANY MANY threads on how to extend your battery life. And once we get a custom kernel battery life will really start to get extended. You must not remember how bad any stock ROM is on battery, you're comparing it to the custom ROMs, just be patient, it will only get better.

Attachments

• 1399464996471.jpg
    1399464996471.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

marcran75

Jul 22, 2013
Syracuse,NY
My experience

Sent from my VM GS3 running Sprint 4.4.2 (ND8)

Attachments

• 1399465164669.jpg
    1399465164669.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 1399465199756.jpg
    1399465199756.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 178

the_original_teknikl

Mar 22, 2013
I have virgin mobile as well on MK5. It'll be okay to flash the ND8 tar on Odin right? I've been waiting forever to get 4.4 and I'm itching to upgrade it, lol.

Yes. I'm Virgin Mobile and already did it. ..

Just follow the instructions in the op and you're good

Sent from my Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 with Touchwiz Android Kitkat 4.4.2.

v3lvetf4ir

May 7, 2014
You'll be fine as long as you don't try to flash a 4.4 ROM without the 4.4 Bootloader (take the OTA or Odin the ND8 tar). That's what everybody bricked on, flashing ND8 on the MD4 Bootloader. You already have Knox, as long as you don't try to downgrade your firmware you should be fine.

Yes. I'm Virgin Mobile and already did it. ..

Just follow the instructions in the op and you're good

Sent from my Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 with Touchwiz Android Kitkat 4.4.2.

Thanks much! :3:highfive:

i.love.my.galaxy

Dec 29, 2013
What you are stating is not true.Many ppl are reporting great battery life,performance and memory usage on this update. You shouldn't post telling ppl "do not update" because of your experience. Every phone reacts differently therfore not everyone is going to experience the same issues you are.

Sent from my BlackedOut VM GS3 running MOAR powered by DKP

Well must be bad if htc is holding off seeing every other phone having issues

i.love.my.galaxy

Dec 29, 2013
My experience

Sent from my VM GS3 running Sprint 4.4.2 (ND8)

Ok... but how many wakeups are you having... mine and many others are insane

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

@marcmcran75

Its not just me and its not just this damn device

Heres couple links to other devices and phone company's saying not to update and going to hold off on rolling kk out ..

Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Affecting Device Battery Life | TheNewsReports.com
http://www.thenewsreports.com/android-4-4-2-kitkat-update-affecting-device-battery-life/4182/syedas

T-Mobile Support Community
https://t-mobile.jive-mobile.com/#jive-discussion?content=/api/core/v2/discussions/66314

Last edited by a moderator:

i.love.my.galaxy

Dec 29, 2013
And you're saying there's no way to stop wakelocks? Look at my Android System... 13%. DeBloat and turn off location services, take some permissions away from some apps and you will get good battery life. I've seen just as many wakelocks on any other version of Android, and the links you provided refer to unrooted users who probably don't know squat about their devices. If you are rooted there are plenty of things you can do to extend your battery life. And I was referring to custom TW ROMs not AOSP.

Have debloated , have brightness all the way down ,
Bluetooth tooth off
Location off
Sync off

Greenify basically everything I can that wont interfere with the os

Hell look now my phone has done a completely something different android os and system has dropped off and my screen has shot up ? Wth ?

And im at work so I cant really use my phone

Pictures attached

Attachments

• 1399473406126.jpg
    1399473406126.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 1399473484909.jpg
    1399473484909.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 163

i.love.my.galaxy

Dec 29, 2013
Sorry guys just frustrated ... ill chill and see what happens next couple days / weeks

Either way im stuck with 4.4 now lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Full UNMODIFIED ota. Don't take if you don't want to:

Download: http://android.clients.google.com/p...fbe72.USER_L710_SPR_MK3_to_ND8_Update_FWD.zip

I take no responsibility for your actions if you flash this.

Requirements:
    1) Be on stock, odexed, unmodified MK3 rom
    2) May or may not work by flashing through custom recovery, otherwise flash with stock recovery

Thanks bilgerryan for the filename
    Test 1, 4.4 rom doesn't boot. Faith not lost however as this happened back on 4.3...

Also a note...if you find any ND8 files of mine online, please do not link to them as they may or may not break your phone until I've thoroughly tested and posted links myself
    So if you decide to flash them...do so at your own risk :silly:
    Ok guys, tests have come back from the lab (haha) but it looks like if you want the ND8 rom to boot, you need the ND8 firmware, mainly the bootloader.

So until I can provide a flashable for the firmware, I'd suggest to flash the ND8 tar provided in the Android dev section.

I will be releasing the rom within the next day, followed by a deknoxed version (Knox apps removed) and a full ND8 firmware flashable.

Sucks, but we gotta do what we gotta do.

Make sure after you flash the firmware to NEVER attempt to flash a stock tar < ND8, or flash firmware in any other form with version < ND8.

ND8 stock tar: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2738533

To get root back, simply ODIN flash a custom recovery after flashing the stock tar and then the recovery will install root the first time you boot into it.

:thumbup:
    I'll get a quick review video up soon to show it off. Anyone want to see anything in particular?
    Not too much of a huge difference. KK is a lot more smooth and better on RAM!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA mobile app