Search This thread

globatron

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
UPDATED:

HTC unlock supports the View.
I have S-OFF working as an upgrade path
It is possible to rollback from HC to GB, irrespective of S-OFF or not.

There is some more work required on the procedures, but it can all be done.

-----Information below this line is kept for historical reference------

The Honeycomb upgrade for the View is expected to start rolling out.

Before taking this upgrade please read the following in order to be aware of the consequences of taking the upgrade if you want any root options or custom ROMs or custom recovery.

It is expected that the upgrade will contain a new hboot (that has been strongly hinted at by reliable sources but never explicitly confirmed), that being the case you should be aware of the following consequences:

1. If you take this upgrade there is no HTC unlock for the View yet.
    • This means no root for now
    • This means no custom ROMs for now
    • This means no rollback to gingerbread for now
    • In other words this is a dead-end for now.
  2. There is no S-OFF tool for the view when running on HC (revolutionary will not work)
  3. There is currently no known working temp root exploit on HC (again this means no rollback)

So with that depressing information out of the way, here is the good news:

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

While some of you will want to stay completely stock and have no need for root or custom roms/recovery and I entirely respect that opinion and option as being valid others may be undecided. If you are undecided I strongly suggest that you either:
  1. Wait until you have decided
  2. Perform the S-OFF upgrade, which is reversible and will allow you to go back to stock if you want to.

Again, to re-iterate if you take the upgrade as is you will be stuck with no options but to stay completely stock.

Last edited:

E.T.Heil

Dec 19, 2011
C'bus Ohio
I hate to ask this, but I want to make sure since I am newb in all areas relating to rooting,flashing etc. You are in fact referring to the View and not the Flyer?

RedWingsFan

Jul 7, 2010
Thanks for the heads up.

I am getting my View in the next week and will not upgrade to HC until there is a way to roll back to GB

mschafe

Dec 12, 2006
Just got the notification on mine too, thanks for the heads up even though I really want to upgrade. I will wait!

deejayspinz

Dec 16, 2011
Moto G 2015
Another question from a 1 week old Android Noob. Is this update you are referring to an official one from HTC/Sprint? (my device is out of WiFi range, so I cant tell if there are updates), or is this from devs like yourself (globatron)?

TSGM

Dec 20, 2011
Yes, I put an "over the top" highlight of the in the first post to clarify.

Another question from a newbie. Is everything you said (except for the rollout date) still applicable to the Wi-Fi HC update for the Flyer? That is to say, we should wait for further news before upgrading from stock GB to HC?

Last edited:

globatron

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
Another question from a newbie. Is everything you said (except for the rollout date) still applicable to the Wi-Fi HC update for the Flyer?

No. There is an official HTC unlock for those, and as a result it is possible to rollback to GB and S-OFF there, that said I have all the pieces needed to handle the upgrade S-OFF upgrade of the flyer from day 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: E.T.Heil

kennyminot

Jan 9, 2011
I don't want to whine and clog up the thread, but some comments are driving me nuts. Plus, this might clear up some confusion. Here's some things I've learned over the last couple weeks, when I've been waiting for the impending Honeycomb update:

1. While the hardware of the HTC Evo View and the HTC Flyer is extremely similar, they are different enough that the Honeycomb upgrade for the View won't work on the Flyer. If you have questions about the Honeycomb Flyer update, you probably should redirect any questions to that thread. Flyer users have already been able to update to Honeycomb for a couple weeks, which has been the cause of much jealousy among us View owners.

2. Globatron - who I will commend for somehow having all this inside information - has clearly marked this as a View thread. To just give you a couple examples, it's titled, "WARNING to View Users" and also contains "View" in giant red letters in the opening few sentences. This information clearly doesn't apply to the Flyer.

Three cheers to Globatron. I'll be taking his advice and waiting until he can post a rootable HC update. I'm thrilled about possibly having universal stylus support, which will make this tablet the best $250 I've ever put down on a piece of technology.

Reactions: TSGM

redzee

Oct 25, 2009
miami
GoodandEvo.net has this warning about updating if rooted.

Update: If you rooted using Revolutionary, hold off on applying this update for now. I'm currently stuck at the white HTC start-up screen, and now have to wait for my battery to die before I can fix this in recovery since there's no way to pull the battery on this tablet.

spartan1987

Aug 5, 2010
Atlanta
I don't want to whine and clog up the thread, but some comments are driving me nuts. Plus, this might clear up some confusion. Here's some things I've learned over the last couple weeks, when I've been waiting for the impending Honeycomb update:

1. While the hardware of the HTC Evo View and the HTC Flyer is extremely similar, they are different enough that the Honeycomb upgrade for the View won't work on the Flyer. If you have questions about the Honeycomb Flyer update, you probably should redirect any questions to that thread. Flyer users have already been able to update to Honeycomb for a couple weeks, which has been the cause of much jealousy among us View owners.

2. Globatron - who I will commend for somehow having all this inside information - has clearly marked this as a View thread. To just give you a couple examples, it's titled, "WARNING to View Users" and also contains "View" in giant red letters in the opening few sentences. This information clearly doesn't apply to the Flyer.

Three cheers to Globatron. I'll be taking his advice and waiting until he can post a rootable HC update. I'm thrilled about possibly having universal stylus support, which will make this tablet the best $250 I've ever put down on a piece of technology.

Word. Globatron is pretty much the Evo View God. $0.02

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATED:

HTC unlock supports the View.
    I have S-OFF working as an upgrade path
    It is possible to rollback from HC to GB, irrespective of S-OFF or not.

There is some more work required on the procedures, but it can all be done.

-----Information below this line is kept for historical reference------

The Honeycomb upgrade for the View is expected to start rolling out.

Before taking this upgrade please read the following in order to be aware of the consequences of taking the upgrade if you want any root options or custom ROMs or custom recovery.

It is expected that the upgrade will contain a new hboot (that has been strongly hinted at by reliable sources but never explicitly confirmed), that being the case you should be aware of the following consequences:

1. If you take this upgrade there is no HTC unlock for the View yet.
    2. There is no S-OFF tool for the view when running on HC (revolutionary will not work)
    3. There is currently no known working temp root exploit on HC (again this means no rollback)

So with that depressing information out of the way, here is the good news:

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

While some of you will want to stay completely stock and have no need for root or custom roms/recovery and I entirely respect that opinion and option as being valid others may be undecided. If you are undecided I strongly suggest that you either:
    1. Wait until you have decided
    2. Perform the S-OFF upgrade, which is reversible and will allow you to go back to stock if you want to.

Again, to re-iterate if you take the upgrade as is you will be stuck with no options but to stay completely stock.
    Can my two beta testers make their machines ready for remote access this evening? I be active a little after 5 eastern. One of you knows who you are, the other I spoke to on #alpharev last night.

Before the questions start I'm not going to name them, to avoid them getting bombarded with questions and I an NOT looking for anyone else at this time so do not pm/email etc asking if you can be an early tester, the answer is no.

I am only posting this in the open so that people know there is progress. I am not going to answer any questions on what that progress is or how much longer it will take. In the alpharev/Revolutionary tradition it will be released when ready.
    Questions, etc, Can this be done?

Let me try to make this easier for you since the devs hands are full from answering these questions. It sounds like this is the first time you are attempting to modify an android device.

YOU ARE STOCK Gingerbread View (2.3.3 or 2.3.4)
    A) You upgrade to Stock Honeycomb View -> You loose any ability to load a custom recovery or root for the time being. It may be even indefinitely if the devs can't find a way to gain root.

B) You keep yourself at stock Gingerbread -> You still have a rootable device and can load custom roms, but are advised to not upgrade until the patched HC is out and you can continue to load custom roms and whatever you want when that is completed.

I'm going to try a simple computer analogy assuming you run windows or OSX.

S-ON means the Hboot can't be modified. You can only boot directly into Stock Windows without any option, opportunity to boot into a custom OS. It's like saying it's a one way street directly into the Stock OS.

S-OFF means the Hboot can be modified. Think of it as a custom boot for Windows if that's what you're using. It allows you to install "modified Windows" that is free of some programs or whatever are tweaked/removed/improved in custom roms. This is like saying there is multiple streets at an intersection that allow you to end at the destination YOU choose it to be (which is the rom).

There is no point in backing up your device if you are on stock and intend to stay stock unless you just want to save your data. There's no way to revert from Honeycomb->Gingerbread with official stock rom. It's like I just said, a one way street. If you attempted to do it, it likely wouldn't even let you or you'll end up bricking your device after trying to downgrade.

The general steps are
    1) Achieve S-OFF to customize the HBOOT
    2) Achieve root / Load Recovery program
    3) Flash the custom rooted roms and be able to flash more custom stuff in the future.

Globatron is NOT working on a ROM. He's working on re-gaining S-OFF for people who want to load Honeycomb on their tablet.
    Ok, breaking news at this point. Rollback from offical ota is possible.
    Re-flash the honeycomb clockworkmod recovery through fastboot, power off your view from the fastboot menu and wait until tomorrow. It's 4.30 AM here and I'm done for the night. I'll sort you out tomorrow.