SD Card Unexpectedly Removed

Search This thread

OwenW71

Jul 20, 2010
I'm having the dreaded 'SD Card Unexpectedly Removed' issue. The card seems to work fine in other devices, but my Note 2 cannot deal with it. Mine is a SanDisk 32GB Class 4. It was working fine for weeks, and now all of a sudden, it loses the card every time the phone goes to sleep. Once the phone wakes up, it flashes the warning, then says 'Preparing SD Card', and it works fine until the phone goes to sleep.

I noticed that many Verizon Note 2 users are having the same issue...
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-note-2/231647-sd-card-unexpectedly-removed.html

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

kpursuer

Oct 21, 2010
Avon, CT
It did happen to me with my sandisk 32GB class 4 card. I swapped it with a 16 GB card from a 2 year old
moto droid unused in my basement dump and it worked. It has been over 3 wks now and no issues. I dont think it is a device fault but sense that many note 2 users have bumped into this issue lately..something fishy.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

lazirahs

Jul 26, 2010
Hi guys.. I've same issue last night.. All data missing.. Cannot open on computer also.. Any solution?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

eijisawakita

Sep 6, 2010
I had this problem also. I had 32 gb class 10 sandisk sdcard 1st time I bought this phone. It was working fine for the 1st 3 weeks but after that I got that dreaded message everytime I wake my phone. I thought its my phones hardware but when my brother and I swapped cards, that message never appeared again. I currently have a 16 gb class 10 sd. My brother has tmobile galaxy s2, that message showed after 2 days of using that card. I reformatted that card and checked it for errors multiple times. There was no problem. I dont know probably some samsung phobes have issues about sdcard 32 gb and above. I have read it in galaxy s3 forums also.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Esevw

May 31, 2010
Puyallup
I'm actually having a similar problem with my sn2 not reading my 32gb SanDisk card, I'm going to try to reformat it and see what happens. Just got the phone two days ago.

Esevw

May 31, 2010
Puyallup
I fixed my problem by installing the new twrp 2.3.2.3 recovery using goo manager. I followed these instructions from the twrp website.
In goo manager tap menu on your phone and hit install openRecoveryScript, tap yes, verify filename displays your devices name and hit yes. The file will download and install on your device, now reboot.

Hopefully this helps people

Reactions: pawan459

havocd

Dec 7, 2012
I have a sandisk 64gb class 10 I havent had this problem as of yet...

OwenW71

Jul 20, 2010
I'm just gonna throw this out there... It kinda seems like the latest Samsung phones are happily corrupting SD cards right and left. Now, maybe some cards are more susceptible to this, but the fact remains that this is not just anecdotal anymore. We need to get the various phone groups that are seeing this issue to band together and contact Samsung for a fix.

Reactions: titooo7

jacky37

Oct 17, 2012
My Sandisk class 10 32gb card died on me too. Went to best buy exchanged for another one, reformat it. ... so far so good.

OwenW71

Jul 20, 2010
Mine worked fine for a while, too. I'm not sure what triggered it, but I think the phone did something to it. The reason I think this is simple. I have had many devices with SD cards in them, and never have I had one go bad. This phone was using a card that I had used for months before in another phone, and within a month the card was bad. When I looked online, I found hundreds of cases of the same issue, mostly with Samsung S3 and GN2 phones. It seems too much to be a coincidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: titooo7

limpysmalls

Mar 23, 2011
Eugene
I am having the same issue. It is with all SD-Cards I try after some time. I have 2 32gb Sandisk class 10 that I tried and a handful of 2 and 4 gb class 4 and class 6 cards. After sometime, 20 minutes to a couple of hours I starting getting the "SD Card unexpectedly removed" Then a quick scanning s Card message. I tried formatting the cards with different computers and even using my Linux machine to see if it would fix it.

Has anyone come up with a solution yet? Should I swap the phone out for another one since I have ruled out the SD-Card as being the problem.

My 14 days hits this weekend and it is easier to get things done at T-Mobile before that time frame expires.

limpysmalls

Mar 23, 2011
Eugene
All fat32 for me. Phone is stock, holding out on root for awhile so I can learn why Touchwiz is so hated.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

OwenW71

Jul 20, 2010
I tried ExFAT, but the phone did not recognize it at all.

I wonder if anyone has had this issue with a Samsung brand card?

Swyped from a hand-held Galaxy.

$rt

Dec 13, 2012
Im getting the same problem with my 32 gb sandisk sd card but luckily amazon is still willing to exchange it out for me
Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

limpysmalls

Mar 23, 2011
Eugene
I formatted mine to exfat to see what would happen. I checked online and this phone supports exfat natively. I moved my files back on to the card after the format and then tossed it in the phone and it worked. It has been over an hour and still has not removed itself unexpectedly.

Will report back in tomorrow after I give it some time to settle.

limpysmalls

Mar 23, 2011
Eugene
It is still removing itself almost everytime the phone goes to sleep. The last time it actually unmounted and tols me it was safe to remove the sd card when I woke the phone up.

What cards are people running? I have 2 I am testing this with:

SanDisk ultra 32GB SD-HC U1 (comparable to class 10), 1 is formatted to exfat and is half filled with mp3's, the other is fat32 and half filed with mp3's.

The mp3's are different on each card, I have a folder of music that I always throw back on the card but thought it might be corrupted so last night I made a new folder and added fresh music to see if that was the issue.

I found the official sd formatter program from the SD Alliance to try. I just formatted 1 of the cards with it and am moving the music back now. It will be a while though. From sd to computer the speeds are 12 to 30 MB/s but from computer to sd it is 2 to 5 MB/s?

Hope to have this figured out by the end of the day.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have 3 different 32GB MicroSD cards -- Kingston Class 4, Patriot Class 4, and SanDisk UHS Class 10 (red/grey). I also have the Note 2 and my wife has the S3.

The problem seems to be a combination of Samsung's MicroSD slot and SanDisk's super thin MicroSD cards. Both the Patriot and Kingston 32GB MicroSD cards are noticeably thicker (almost 2x) and both fit more firmly in my Note 2' and S3's MicroSD slots.

I also have the same problem when using only the SanDisk MicroSD card in my multi-slot card reader. I get card not inserted errors as well as cyclical redundancy errors, misc write errors, etc. This card reader was not cheap and I paid good money for it because I use it for semi-pro digital photography -- I cannot have a card reader messing up my photos. I purchased my SanDisk MicrosSD card with a full sized SD adapter (just because that's the one that was the best deal). Guess what -- the SanDisk MicroSD card formats, reads, and writes perfectly fine when using the full sized SD adapter in the same card reader. Neither the Patriot nor Kingston MicroSD cards will fit in the SanDisk full-sized SD adapter, so clearly this SD adapter's slot is specifically designed for the significantly thinner SanDisk MicroSD cards.

So, I think the problem is that SanDisk made their newer MicroSD cards too thin, so they're not making constant, proper contact inside Samsung's card slots (and my card reader). My Acer A500 tablet has a better designed card slot so (at least so far) the SanDisk MicroSD card isn't giving me any problems in it. Likewise, my Patriot Class 4 card that's now in my Note 2 is not exhibiting any of these problems because it's a thicker card so my Note 2 (so far) seems happier with it.

Anyway, that's my current theory. I wonder if there are any other memory manufacturers who thinning up their card designs? So far, it's just been SanDisk that I've encountered this. Seems like most of the people here on this thread are also having problems with just the SanDisk cards.
    Hope this helps, but I've used many different brands of miniSD cards and particularly with SanDisk brand, it is best to just put it straight into your phone without reformatting. I have the Note 2, SIII and my wife the SIII. Both SIII's are using the same SanDisk 64GB Class 10 card.

With my phone I put the SanDisk straight into my phone without reformatting. However, on my wife's phone I reformatted (Fat32) on the PC and reformatted once in the phone. Her SD card started acting up.

Contrary to what many people thought including myself, I thought the cards usually all came in Fat32...however, I come to find out the SanDisk's come formatted in exFat, which was a complete SERIOUS?! moment for me. I guess the 'newestest' phones like the Note 2 are exFat friendly?

So my theory is with SanDisk, just leave it alone and put in the SD as is. (For newer phones) I can think of a hand full of reasons of why I think SanDisk's crap out if formatted, but I'll leave the speculation to rest.

Good Luck!

(btw: The best cards I've used are by far Samsung, PNY and A-Data. What they all have in common is that the chip component itself is all made in Korea. Well obviously Samsung is Korean...but I'm referring to PNY and A-Data.)

Cheers

What I have noticed is that most people having issues have a 32gig SanDisk. I am using a SanDisk 64gig (class 10) and haven't had any problems. I took the card out of the packaging and inserted it into my phone. No formatting.. I am stock/rooted with only a little bloat removed.

**EDIT**
    I forgot to mention that my sdcard was for Android Phones. It had the Android Robot on the packaging ect.
    any solutions?

Been trying follow the whole thread....

Please correct me if I missed anything ...

All these possibilities has been discussed but none concluded to be the root issue

- SD card (Sandisk, Kingston, PE etc) manufacturer problem
    - Loose micro ribbon/adapter connecting SD card
    - Samsung Android screen wake up (code issue)
    - Internal Android issue
    - Depending on type of files stored
    - Digital Rights Management

I am beginning to think that that this is Google, Dropbox, Samsung and all the other Big Player's master plan to force us to use their 'CLOUD' vs external storage.

Possible Fix(s)

*All of which either does not work or miraculously worked for some*

- Insert folded paper with SD card (making it tighter to hold)
    - switch on protect SD card under developer options
    - settings > storage > Unmount card and mount it back on
    - Format card
    - Change to FAT32/ExFat
    - Factory reset phone
    - Restart phone
    - Throw phone on the floor and stomp on it
    - Burn it and watch it depart to hell
    - Call Samsung 1-800 and hear them bulls**t you saying it's not my problem, I've already made my money
    - Call Google and get no response
    - Vent on XDA and get no replies

Above all choose Peace and Love and sleep peacefully like a baby!
    I'm just gonna throw this out there... It kinda seems like the latest Samsung phones are happily corrupting SD cards right and left. Now, maybe some cards are more susceptible to this, but the fact remains that this is not just anecdotal anymore. We need to get the various phone groups that are seeing this issue to band together and contact Samsung for a fix.

Mine worked fine for a while, too. I'm not sure what triggered it, but I think the phone did something to it. The reason I think this is simple. I have had many devices with SD cards in them, and never have I had one go bad. This phone was using a card that I had used for months before in another phone, and within a month the card was bad. When I looked online, I found hundreds of cases of the same issue, mostly with Samsung S3 and GN2 phones. It seems too much to be a coincidence.