LG G2 android system usage?

Search This thread

winklethemoose

Mar 4, 2011
I've noticed that even when I usey phone a lot of the day with screen on that my G2 is the first phone that the android system always uses more battery than the screen and I do not understand that. Every other phone I have had in the past(and it has been a lot because I'm a Verizon rep) my display takes much more battery. I notice that there is a ton of LG's crap running under android system, is that why I'm not seeing the battery life I would expect out of a 3000mah phone. I'm getting about 17-18hrs out of it. Which is good. But it's not Great! Any insight would be cool.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Dchibro

Jul 28, 2011
San Diego, CA
Something that falls under the Android System category can trigger and go rogue, causing idle drain to be way higher than it should be. Its happened to me 3 times in two weeks, and a reboot cleared it up each time. I'm not certain as to the culprit as it wasn't obvious in BBS.

Sent from my LG G2 via Tapatalk

winklethemoose

Mar 4, 2011
Restarts, root, reflash, nothing has helped so far. I've gone as far as disabling everything I can that is lg and the system still uses more.

meld

Jun 30, 2012
JKT
Android system on mine always on top
But, get easily 6hours screen time? how much screen time you got?

Android system always top i think because this device have GRAM
Make screen usage is very little, thats why.
If this device doesn't have GRAM maybe screen always on top but with worst battery life

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010
Android system always top i think because this device have GRAM
Make screen usage is very little, thats why.
If this device doesn't have GRAM maybe screen always on top but with worst battery life

No that is not why, the "GRAM" as you call it is simply a tiny amount of memory that is dedicated to storing a screenshot on what is on the screen and will shut down the GPU if a static image is on screen for more than 10 or 15 seconds. It has nothing to do with the screen drawing power.

Android System covers a ton of things on the phone, you need a better app that looks into individual processes to see which part is actually causing the excessive drain.

meld

Jun 30, 2012
JKT
Hmm, im not sure but before own G2 i own G Pro.
Screen usage on G Pro always on top, android system is nowhere near. But battery life G2 is much better even android system always on top.

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda app-developers app

Ready2Mosh

Jun 18, 2007
If you go to the Task Manager app hit menu then settings and go to stop services you can check apps to keep them from running in the background, awesome feature.

Edit:
Ever since I stopped the facebook app, the stock email app, google play music, music,and youtube my battery is a lot better, was really good to begin with, but with these stopped, even better.

Last edited:

biggles316

Oct 1, 2013
Disable wifi

Restarts, root, reflash, nothing has helped so far. I've gone as far as disabling everything I can that is lg and the system still uses more.

I've been having real battery problems on my G2 as well - I found threads online attributing battery problems to the latest version of Google Play Services which can also raise the system usage. Turning off Wifi Location at the device level fixed the battery drain for me - it sucks to have to turn it off but it's clear that my battery drops like a truck with it on, is totally fine with it off.

ginold

Sep 7, 2011
Can anyone confim that this is normal? i have an LG g2 with 3000mah and i loose 1% of battery every MINUTE while playing games, so 10 minutes of modern combat 4 or plats vs zombies is around 10 % (strange because the graphics complexity is very different) , 60-70% brightness, sound half way or headphones. Some people are speaking about "5h of screen time easily" while i get 2-3h ... some site even says " When we had kept the WiFi and 3G network on for a whole day, had surfed for around 3 hours, played games for about 1 hour, watched videos for around 1.5 hours and had talked for 2 hours we were able to get back up for 1.5 days. "

Xenovias

Nov 4, 2013
Jakarta
Can anyone confim that this is normal? i have an LG g2 with 3000mah and i loose 1% of battery every MINUTE while playing games, so 10 minutes of modern combat 4 or plats vs zombies is around 10 % (strange because the graphics complexity is very different) , 60-70% brightness, sound half way or headphones. Some people are speaking about "5h of screen time easily" while i get 2-3h ... some site even says " When we had kept the WiFi and 3G network on for a whole day, had surfed for around 3 hours, played games for about 1 hour, watched videos for around 1.5 hours and had talked for 2 hours we were able to get back up for 1.5 days. "

Normal, depending what game you play.
MC4 and PVZ is heavy games. If you play simple game like cartoon war you will see the result is different.
Never ever heard smartphone can play MC4 straight in 5 hours

ginold

Sep 7, 2011
well, mc 4 and pvz are both very different and i would dare saying mc4 is much more demanding in gpu and cpu, but whatever game i play its always the same. And i will surprise you - i found someone on this forum saying he actually played pvs for 5h ...that would be impossibru on my phone.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

in addition i find it strange, that even though the battery is draining at rate of 10% per 10 minutes in average, after all in battery use menu it says the game has consumed only 2-4% of all with android system and media server on top as usual. Maybe the game isnt that battery draining but something else turns on while playing and eats the battery...

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

1 30h of screen on time, 30 % left. And i swear i havent been playing for more than 40-50 min...

Last edited:

1ceb0x

Jun 25, 2010
The Earth
well, mc 4 and pvz are both very different and i would dare saying mc4 is much more demanding in gpu and cpu, but whatever game i play its always the same. And i will surprise you - i found someone on this forum saying he actually played pvs for 5h ...that would be impossibru on my phone.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

in addition i find it strange, that even though the battery is draining at rate of 10% per 10 minutes in average, after all in battery use menu it says the game has consumed only 2-4% of all with android system and media server on top as usual. Maybe the game isnt that battery draining but something else turns on while playing and eats the battery...

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

1 30h of screen on time, 30 % left. And i swear i havent been playing for more than 40-50 min...

wrong wrong wrong wrong. it does not matter what output the user has on the screen. what matters is the optimization in the code. MC4 can be super optimized while PVZ can be made in paint and you will have the same battery usage. And 1% while playing games, no matter what game it is, it is OK in terms of usage.