how to mount windows phone as drive?

Search This thread

wuiyang

Jun 22, 2014
Pahang
how do you mount a windows phone 8 as drive? (etc: e:/) i want to get import some app data and change my other phone to windows phone

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
You don't, unless you have a (very rare and not available for sale) engineering/development device. Retail WP8 devices use Media Transfer Protocol (MTP, same as cameras and many MP3 players). You can browse part of the filesystem using Windows Explorer, and upload or download files from those parts that you can access, but you aren't directly interacting with anything that appears as a file system so you can't mount it as a drive.

@ Goodday
is that the same reason thats why you cant reach the files with the commandpromt from your pc?
I have beeing playing with the older version of windowsexplorer app......
The one you can use the cmd line..................i wanted to try the same from my pc but....no go.

just curious

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Correct, CMD does not support MTP devices. Windows Explorer and a few other programs (Total Commander has a plugin for it, I think) can access MTP, but CMD only supports things that can be specified by UNC, and that doesn't include MTP.

EDIT: it's possible to actually run CMD on your phone, and access it using Telnet. You currently have to use an app sandbox (the CMD binary isn't signed, so far as I can tell, and therefore can't be run outside a sandbox) so the privileges are pretty limited even with capability-unlock and are minimal without it, but it's possible nonetheless.

Reactions: Amadeus01

wuiyang

Jun 22, 2014
Pahang
so if it isn't possible to mount windows phone as drive, what about emulator on a phone? does it works?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You don't, unless you have a (very rare and not available for sale) engineering/development device. Retail WP8 devices use Media Transfer Protocol (MTP, same as cameras and many MP3 players). You can browse part of the filesystem using Windows Explorer, and upload or download files from those parts that you can access, but you aren't directly interacting with anything that appears as a file system so you can't mount it as a drive.
    Correct, CMD does not support MTP devices. Windows Explorer and a few other programs (Total Commander has a plugin for it, I think) can access MTP, but CMD only supports things that can be specified by UNC, and that doesn't include MTP.

EDIT: it's possible to actually run CMD on your phone, and access it using Telnet. You currently have to use an app sandbox (the CMD binary isn't signed, so far as I can tell, and therefore can't be run outside a sandbox) so the privileges are pretty limited even with capability-unlock and are minimal without it, but it's possible nonetheless.