[Q] How to unbrick a phone if odin doesn't detect it? (!!SOLVED!!)

Search This thread

itsFreezy

Mar 29, 2014
Phone specs first :)
Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-i9100
Rooted
CWM
Hardcore speedmod
android 4.1.2 jb
PC is windows 8
I remember i had turned the usb debugging on in dev options

so last night i tried to install cyanogenmod on my device with the cyanogenmod installer for PC and Android.
I was having a bit of usb problems with noticing that my pc did detect the phone, but i couldn't see the phone in
"my computer" file. I thought it would soon fix by itself(i dont know why) and also noticing that detecting device in cm installer
took a lot of time. So when it finally detected the phone it started installing the CM. Although after coming to the
"installing operating system" point, it stopped and said "we couldn't talk to your phone" and having this blue CM guy standing in the screen
of my phone. I tried again several times with rebooting my pc and phone. To the phone appeared again this blue cm figure just standing there.
When i would go and try again on pc it said the "we couldn't talk to your phone" text again. So i gave up with the installer and thought that would be better to flash that CM with Odin. At this point i couldn't access my phone(except for download mode and recovery) of course because it had screwed up the system. I tried to search internet for some usb problem fixes and there were some solutions on changing something in your
device settings and dev options, i cant go there, so for now thats not an option. I started following a tutorial in youtube on how to install cm with odin and root your device. My first question here is that should i install everything and start from scratch (Gapps,CM and kernel) or just the CM ROM? And the problem here is that when i started following the tutorial and came up to the part of having to move the Rom,kernel and gapps to the phone's sd card, i realised that wouldn't work because i cant see the phone on my pc, for now that's the problem number 1. My pc says "unknown device" ( i think thats what it means, see im translating) when i try to plug my phone in. Got any solution for this so we could move on to step 2?
And btw this is in a bit of a hurry, as i really have to get this phone working today.I need it! :crying:
And yeah i did read the other threads about PC not recognizing the phone but those solutions there require the phone to be turned on and changing something there. So basically my phone is bricked and cant connect to pc with usb, i have tried another pc too with 2 usb cables but the phone wont show up under "my computer"

Last edited:

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Get stock firmware from Samfirmware, try & flash with Odin. Problems with flash ? Find Hopper8's 'Odin troubleshooting' thread stickied in General; try as much of the stuff in that thread as you need to in order to get a successful flash of stock firmware & a clean slate (I.E a working phone, getting the phone back to this state should be your only thought at this point), then you can try reflashing a custom rom/whatever from there if you want to.

If you do have problems with the stock flash, make sure you actually do everything in the thread, or your phone will stay busted. These things are fixed with perseverance & doing everything possible, there is no easy fix.

Also, please don't post about the same issue twice, there was no need for you to make this thread & post to the other thread as well.

itsFreezy

Mar 29, 2014
Get stock firmware from Samfirmware, try & flash with Odin. Problems with flash ? Find Hopper8's 'Odin troubleshooting' thread stickied in General; try as much of the stuff in that thread as you need to in order to get a successful flash of stock firmware & a clean slate (I.E a working phone, getting the phone back to this state should be your only thought at this point), then you can try reflashing a custom rom/whatever from there if you want to.

If you do have problems with the stock flash, make sure you actually do everything in the thread, or your phone will stay busted. These things are fixed with perseverance & doing everything possible, there is no easy fix.

Also, please don't post about the same issue twice, there was no need for you to make this thread & post to the other thread as well.

So just flashing the stock rom? Does the firmware need to be specifically from that region you live in?
Got the Odin detecting my phone now so that's one step further. Huge thanks for helping me! :)

AzriHafiz

Mar 25, 2014
So just flashing the stock rom? Does the firmware need to be specifically from that region you live in?
Got the Odin detecting my phone now so that's one step further. Huge thanks for helping me! :)
Yes, for me. I never tried to flash stock rom using other country. So, I don't know what will happen if I do so. Maybe you will get some problems with calls, messages, etc..?

itsFreezy

Mar 29, 2014
So now i have tried to flash 3 different ROM's and everytime i get stuck for a while in the SetupConnection step and after about 2 minutes it just says all threads completed succeed 0/1 failed and cant open the serial (COM) port. I am on download mode on the phone.

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Then you need to go back to Hopper's thread and try everything suggested in the thread, including multiple PC's if necessary.

I did say your phone will stay busted in my PP if you didn't do everything in that thread as many times as you need to (looks like the prophecy is being fulfilled). There is nothing else that isn't in that thread that can be suggested in these situations, that thread is the Bible.

Only you can fix your phone in this situation, we can't do it for you. I've given you the tools to get it done, it's up to you whether you do & how long your phone stays in its current state.

itsFreezy

Mar 29, 2014
Huuuge thanks to you !

Then you need to go back to Hopper's thread and try everything suggested in the thread, including multiple PC's if necessary.

I did say your phone will stay busted in my PP if you didn't do everything in that thread as many times as you need to (looks like the prophecy is being fulfilled). There is nothing else that isn't in that thread that can be suggested in these situations, that thread is the Bible.

Only you can fix your phone in this situation, we can't do it for you. I've given you the tools to get it done, it's up to you whether you do & how long your phone stays in its current state.

I already said this, but thank you for helping, i got it working! I flashed in a cwm kernel and stock rom.You really dont know how
grateful i am! It was kinda stupid to go and try install cyanogenmod without backing up, but that's not going to happen in the future.
Also i think i needed this to happen, i mean it still was a very good lesson to understand the basics of odin flashing and kernels,roms and rooting.
I really thought for a while that i had lost my phone. Hopper8's thread really helped!

Reactions: MistahBungle

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Good man. And yes, you're right, having this sort of thing happen early on can be a really good learning experience & give you the knowledge/confidence to recover from just about anything (had a not dissimilar experience to yourself about a week after I got my S2 2+ yrs ago, I learned a helluva a lot in the two days my phone was borked) that happens in future.

Don't forget to thank Hopper's OP in his thread if you haven't already.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Huuuge thanks to you !

I already said this, but thank you for helping, i got it working! I flashed in a cwm kernel and stock rom.You really dont know how
    grateful i am! It was kinda stupid to go and try install cyanogenmod without backing up, but that's not going to happen in the future.
    Also i think i needed this to happen, i mean it still was a very good lesson to understand the basics of odin flashing and kernels,roms and rooting.
    I really thought for a while that i had lost my phone. Hopper8's thread really helped!