Be wary of Fake Micro-SD Cards (I Got Ripped Off)

Search This thread

rahtrip

Jun 24, 2013
Guys be very careful of the Micro SD cards you buy off of eBay and Craigslist. I can confidently say that more than half of them are probably fake. I recently bought one off of eBay for a 40 bucks and it was a 64 gb Micro Sd Card. I put it in my phone and noticed that it kept unmounting on me and had atrociously slow data transfer/read rates. Also pictures would not save onto it and the ones that did save would not open after. Upon further inspection and thanks to this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXuxOnHgs0c , I found that the one I bought on eBay was fake and demanded a return right away. So just watch out. You can also use this program to detect counterfeit or real by testing the specs of the storage unit you bought: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml

Superguy

Nov 28, 2007
Baltimore
You're better off buying them locally or from reputable online shops.

If you have a MicroCenter close to you, they usually have good prices on flash memory. Only downside is they only go up to 32GB class 10 micro SD cards as of my last visit a couple weeks ago.

TipoF130

Nov 11, 2010
NYC
www.flickr.com
These things aren't expensive, I don't know why you'd buy them second hand after spending the money on a new flagship phone. I've always bought Sandisk cards from actual camera shops like B&H and Adorama and have never had a problem.

YoungAceAtlanta

Feb 8, 2009
New York, NY
instagram.com
When I'm shopping online I only trust one site for my electronic needs and that's Amazon. And when I'm shopping on Amazon I don't buy from any seller in China. I stick with Amazon fulfillment(aka Prime, ships directly from amazon warehouse) or a trusted seller

If your going to spend $40 just go to Amazon or Best Buy. Actually Amazon has a sale on SD cards. Save yourself like $20

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

twiggums

Oct 6, 2007
When I'm shopping online I only trust one site for my electronic needs and that's Amazon. And when I'm shopping on Amazon I don't buy from any seller in China. I stick with Amazon fulfillment(aka Prime, ships directly from amazon warehouse) or a trusted seller

If your going to spend $40 just go to Amazon or Best Buy. Actually Amazon has a sale on SD cards. Save yourself like $20

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

+1

If you're going to buy anything online electronics based stick with reputable retailers. Amazon is great, newegg and microcenter are good as well. Ebay, craigslist, etc can be such a gamble when it comes to electronics it's really not worth it, if it looks too good to be true it usually is.

joyrida12

Apr 6, 2014
Houston
We have Best Buy and Frys here in Houston, for accessories I'll go try them at Best Buy and then buy it off Amazon or newegg. Frys, while it's great for electronics and computer parts, has a horrible selection of phone accessories. There's one micro center here but it's way too far from my side of town.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

chevyjohn01

Oct 25, 2014
Roland, OK
I got burned once before

I bought a 32Gb from ebay auction for $11. It had similar problems. Would save files to it, but kept umounting and would dump all the files on it to lost.dir. They all had broken file extensions and the filenames were garbled. I since just play it safe and stick to sandisk sd cards from amazon.

breakwaterr

Mar 30, 2014
ebay sd cards

yes same thing to me, a lot of problems and it died after a month or so. Dont go for cheap sd cards on ebay

hack14u

Nov 23, 2010
Mobile, AL
The Extreme cards are mega expensive, but from time to time my local BB has incredible sales on them. Watch the site. I actually check every couple of days for the sales as I tend to buy things I might not need now, but will appreciate someday, lol.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think that goes without saying. Some things you should just buy from a shop ...... real shop