Developers edition - possible to extract goodness from ota?

Search This thread

808phoneaddict

Dec 26, 2011
Figuring that the stock one is so locked down, is it possible to take new features of an ota of the regular s5 and flash it to a dev edition one without messing up root? Things like updated boot, going from 4.4.x to 4.5, etc?

I recall but never fully understood that was the problem with the s4, they never sent out ota update for the dev edition....

Just debating getting an s5 dev edition, but don't want to be stuck with original firmware/software

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

G

GuestK00143

Figuring that the stock one is so locked down, is it possible to take new features of an ota of the regular s5 and flash it to a dev edition one without messing up root? Things like updated boot, going from 4.4.x to 4.5, etc?

I recall but never fully understood that was the problem with the s4, they never sent out ota update for the dev edition....

Just debating getting an s5 dev edition, but don't want to be stuck with original firmware/software

I believe you can upgrade from 4.4 to 4.5 but have to flash a unlocked bootloader like one from t-mobile or a international version. From what I gather from the Note 3 thread that's pretty much how they do it.

808phoneaddict

Dec 26, 2011
Well I know the s4 dev edition's problem was that they wouldn't update firmware for it, stuff like the boot (I forget which other things weren't able to get updated since they weren't sending out otas), which left the device with only it's original firmware

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You'll be able to do some stuff. Consider how cm releases updated firmware even though the carrier doesn't make a release. It's tough but possible.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk