[STOCK KERNEL][NOV20] guestekrnL v2.2.1 | stable, smooth [VIBRO- &RAMHACK] [AROMA]

Search This thread

Ferrum Master

Dec 22, 2010
Rīga
I forgot to add. That I set freqs for second core in manner that both cores are always running at slightest load using trym's OC app for better score and more objective comparsment. Due to differences in stock core ramping between kernels.

Yeah I know how to attain more. But for this test both environments were same fresh installed DM 1.3Beta.

The next thing... I could also put up quadrant score, there the 200Mhz gain gives the lead to spica. Quadrant is way to unstable for benches anyways...
But for now perfomance crown is yours, let us see about power department in the morning. And thanks for your work Stefan, and Spica too... competition is always welcome.

Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA

Reactions: Stefan Gündhör

TrymHansen

Jun 7, 2011
According to your screenshots, the 1.4 kernel is slightly faster at everything except floating point math, where gustekrnL wins by a lot. Could have been a fluke of course, but I guess different compilation flags can account for this. (If dalvik-apps even use anything of the kernel when doing math, I honestly don't know.)

Stefan Gündhör

Oct 24, 2011
Hinterholz 8
According to your screenshots, the 1.4 kernel is slightly faster at everything except floating point math, where gustekrnL wins by a lot. Could have been a fluke of course, but I guess different compilation flags can account for this. (If dalvik-apps even use anything of the kernel when doing math, I honestly don't know.)

In the screenshots spica kernel is running at 1,4 GHz and still 350 points lower than mine @1,2 GHz. This has to be a bug in HP kernel, as @1,4 GHz you should usually be able to score around 7000 points and not around 6000.

However, comparing scores run at different freqs makes no sense anyway and honestly what I care most about is smoothness not benchmarks.

Edit: But of couse still thx for comparing as this can be helpful to other users

Last edited:

TrymHansen

Jun 7, 2011
In the screenshots spica kernel is running at 1,4 GHz and still 350 points lower than mine @1,2 GHz. This has to be a bug in HP kernel, as @1,4 GHz you should usually be able to score around 7000 points and not around 6000.
Yeah, I know, I noted that the 1.4Ghz kernel was slightly faster than the 1.2Ghz kernel, which you would expect, in everything except floating point math. That result sticks out, and is also attached a lot of weight-points in Antutu.
However, comparing scores run at different freqs makes no sense anyway and honestly what I care most about is smoothness not benchmarks.
Agreed.

Good work on the latest, no sign of scaling bug. (Even at a polling interval of 10ms there's no sign of it, so I think we can safely say it's gone.)

Haven't had a chance to test it much yet, but as of now it looks like this is the kernel you wanted to make. Congrats.

Reactions: Stefan Gündhör

Stefan Gündhör

Oct 24, 2011
Hinterholz 8
Good work on the latest, no sign of scaling bug. (Even at a polling interval of 10ms there's no sign of it, so I think we can safely say it's gone.)

Haven't had a chance to test it much yet, but as of now it looks like this is the kernel you wanted to make. Congrats.

Thank you Trym :) Hopefully it is, I really hope so... Then I could upload it as final (with latest GuesteOC and OC up to 1,3, 1,4 or 1,5 GHz -- not decided yet) and finally find some time to update my two ROMs (GoodBye 1.1 and gueste2x v3.2).

Reactions: kkyoiori2001

asrhael

Dec 14, 2010
Hi Dev, your kernel is a good alternative to the stock one..I noticed the stock kernel has a bug with the cpu/touch screen interacions (high usage ~70% just when hold the finger in the screen).

Your kernel Don't have that bug, and provide me a very responsive cellphone, butttt...I have a doubt with the embebbed GuesteOC (2.0.3 by Myrt). When I change the values from "Led brightness, Min/Max freq, etc" that values never applied in my 2.3.4 GB (v20H Indian), and when I configure it and then restart the app, that show me only the defaults values.

SetCPU is not present in my O2x so, why can't I change and tweak your kernel in my p990?.

Best regards,
asrhael

TrymHansen

Jun 7, 2011
Hi Dev, your kernel is a good alternative to the stock one..I noticed the stock kernel has a bug with the cpu/touch screen interacions (high usage ~70% just when hold the finger in the screen).

Your kernel Don't have that bug, and provide me a very responsive cellphone, butttt...I have a doubt with the embebbed GuesteOC (2.0.3 by Myrt). When I change the values from "Led brightness, Min/Max freq, etc" that values never applied in my 2.3.4 GB (v20H Indian), and when I configure it and then restart the app, that show me only the defaults values.

SetCPU is not present in my O2x so, why can't I change and tweak your kernel in my p990?.

Best regards,
asrhael
This is because you don't have working init.d - in other words support for startup-scripts. They not only restore the values, but also set the permissions for various files so that the app can work.

You can solve this by 1) First installing guestekrnL 1.6, which came with init.d support, and 2) install guestekrnL 1.6.2 again - OR - install Spica PowerPack, which also enables init.d. 1) and 2) is the cleaner option, it will not install anything you don't need.

(Stefaaaaan: Why the heck did you stop making a boot-image with init.d? ;-))

Last edited:
Reactions: wapz

asrhael

Dec 14, 2010
Dude...you're a genius man!, install 1st the 1.6 version then 1.6.1 solved my problem, the init.d was successfully created (not necessary to reboot between zip flash).

Thanks man...now everything is configurable.

This is because you don't have working init.d - in other words support for startup-scripts. They not only restore the values, but also set the permissions for various files so that the app can work.

You can solve this by 1) First installing guestekrnL 1.6, which came with init.d support, and 2) install guestekrnL 1.6.2 again - OR - install Spica PowerPack, which also enables init.d. 1) and 2) is the cleaner option, it will not install anything you don't need.

(Stefaaaaan: Why the heck did you stop making a boot-image with init.d? ;-))

vpaulve

Sep 26, 2010
Trying 1.6.2: no BSOD, no reboot, very smooth, excellent!

Enviado desde mi LG-P990 usando Tapatalk

Ferrum Master

Dec 22, 2010
Rīga
Oh yes no voodoo...

I vote for max 1.4GHz, 1.5GHz is way too hot...altough for fun you can realease drag racer version of the kernel.

Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA

Marsou77

Feb 2, 2011
Earth
Ultra smooooth! But I think I found a bug... I can't play Fruit Ninja because my finger isn't detect for 3-4 sec.., detect my finger, and don't detect again...

Sent 2X faster with my LG

KillerbeeNL

Dec 25, 2008
Ultra smooooth! But I think I found a bug... I can't play Fruit Ninja because my finger isn't detect for 3-4 sec.., detect my finger, and don't detect again...

Sent 2X faster with my LG

Just tryed the free version and 3 point fingers detected and works perfect.

Django 1.1 and newest testkernel

Last edited:

Stefan Gündhör

Oct 24, 2011
Hinterholz 8
Okay you guys lets write a little todo list for me for final version:

- delivery with boot image
-fixing voodoo support
- checking on that touch screen fingers problem one had
- oc up to 1.4 ghz

anything else?

Please report about power consumption during use, also try with less use of second core for compariso thx :)

Reactions: CaptainHook8

cojo11

Mar 15, 2011
hamburg
i think the time for real Statement of Power is to short now,i can tell you in 1 or 2 days,but in my Rom are some tweaks that not in your Kernel,so i will see whats happend;-)

Pascalone19

Mar 12, 2012
www.tecnoyouth.it

-fixing voodoo support
- oc up to 1.4 ghz

anything else?

Please report about power consumption during use, also try with less use of second core for compariso thx :)

So I'm just using the version 1.6.2 tests, it seems very smooth, I just seem to notice some microlag regarding temple run, maybe it's my impression! I'll do more testing now I want to see the battery life!

CaptainHook8

Jul 26, 2011

-fixing voodoo support
- oc up to 1.4 ghz

anything else?

Update GuesteOC tool...:D

vpaulve

Sep 26, 2010
Uhm, first BSOD after I have minutes plugged the phone to power (after 10 hours, 32%, full wifi, games).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [STOCK KERNEL][NOV20] guestekrnL v2.2.1 | stable, smooth [VIBRO- &RAMHACK] [AROMA]

guestekrnL kernel v2.2.1 + GuesteOC v2.3 (TrymHansen) -- with Aroma :cool:

;) - If you like my work, you could press thx, vote positively for this thread or buy me a beer.

If you want to test you device's stability: Try TrymHansen's Myrt Torture Tester! - this tool is awesome : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1645938 -- read the instructions first!

Donators from XDA:
    • Daniele S.
    • flat__line
    Thank you !! :good: :cowboy:

Basic kernel description:

• this is a Gingerbread LG O2X Stock kernel! not for use with Cyanogenmod
    • focus on stability, smoothness and great power consumption
    • Linux 2.6.32.9
    • allows Ramhack from 0-96 MByte (this means 0-96 MB additional real RAM, lowering GPU Ram), can be set easily with GuesteOC app, reboots aren't affected by ramhack.
    • comes with TrymHansen's famous GuesteOC app - following kernel-features can currently be controlled with it:
      • stepless or stepful over- and underclocking from 216 MHz - 1450 MHz
      • complete deactivation of second cpu core (and reactivation of course)
      • setting of maximum screen-off frequency
      • second cpu core activation speeds/times and auto-calculation of those
      • change of IO schedulers and read-ahead buffer
      • swappiness
      • 2-way virtual RAM enhancement: you can choose between Swap & ZRam and enable/disable them on the fly
      • disable fsync (can be used for higher benchmarks) - attention, disabling is bad for your data in case of sudden power loss and also it can both decrease or increase power consumption
      • touch-light brightness (101 intensity steps choosable)
      • special feature: changing auto-backlight intensity (8 intensity steps choosable)
      • on-the-fly changing of virtual RAM size (16 - 256 MByte)
      • slider for vibration intensity (from very low to strong)
      • changing Ramhack-Size directly from within GuesteOC with a slider - 0-96 MB; modifying boot image and reboot happens automatically on applying
    • app for Undervolting included (MyrtUV by TrymHansen)
    • Default CPU speed is 1000 MHz - but you can OC using the included app of course
    • OnTheFly-changing of kernel logging policy:
      Code:
      kernel_logging
      (OTF name)

It accepts values 0, 1 or 2
      • 0 = no logging [GuesteOC-default, set on boot after kernel flash]
      • 1 = logging only when screen is on
      • 2 = logging all the time [kernel-internal default, used until overwritten by GuesteOC]

This can be controlled/set via GuesteOC app.
      [Kernel logging is what you see when you open the app "aLogcat"]

less or no logging is believed to save some battery juice
    • merged/included FORCE_FAST_CHARGE - credits to chad0989
    For this kernel + the GuesteOC app to work properly you need init.d scripts to be working on your ROM. You should be able to enable them using the latest AROMA installer of guestekrnL >= v2.1, if they are not working on your ROM.
    The toolchain affects: stability, smoothness, performance & power consumption.
    If you can't enable ZRam, upgrade to Rebuild 2 release of guestekrnL v2.0 or to a newer release
    If something else doesn't work: Recommended is Busybox 1.19.4 -- install it with JRummy installer, not a different installer!
    @ROM-CHEFs (important!):
    If you want to directly include guestekrnL v2.x in your Stock ROMs, you will have to set the command line parameters of your ROMs boot.img (via Android kitchen -> modify boot image -> modify command line params) to the following (otherwise Ramhack can't be enabled by the users):
    Code:
    mem=415M@0M nvmem=96M@416M loglevel=0 muic_state=1 lpj=9994240 CRC=3000001a323ed07 vmalloc=256M brdrev=1.0 video=tegrafb console=ttyS0,115200n8 usbcore.old_scheme_first=1 tegraboot=sdmmc tegrapart=recovery:35e00:2800:800,linux:34700:1000:800,mbr:400:200:800,system:600:2bc00:800,cache:2c200:8000:800,misc:34200:400:800,userdata:38700:c0000:800
    (This will enable the default 32 MB RamHack right after the installation of your ROM with latest guestekrnL included.)
    Also in v2.0 the setup script and many setup files of guestekrnL have changed - make sure to merge all the important parts into your ROM setup. Also do not include boot-up scripts which modify LED brightness or virtual RAM and similar stuff or disable kernel logging because that's the job of GuesteOC app.​
    Changelog latest version:
    • v2.2.1
      • smoothness-related changes for higher smoothness
      • tun.ko now built-in in kernel again
      • spica toolchain edition now is default preselected on in AROMA installer
    • v2.2
      • better RAM management
      • tun.ko now as kernel module instead of built-in in kernel
      • dropped symbi0sis-toolchain edition, instead added spica1234 toolchain edition (like the name says this toolchain has been built by spica1234, credits for this chain go to him)
      • new unique feature: introducing dual-vibrator support:
        • in GuesteOC you can set the kernel's vibration intensity (like you already know)
        • new: intensity 1500 - 2700 uses "weak" vibrator output device for vibration (the one used in original stock kernel)
        • intensity levels >2700 - 3700 use the "strong" vibrator output device
        • some prefer the weak device because it seems to be more "accurate", others prefer the stronger one
        • now it's completely up to you which one to use, without having to change the kernel version! Enjoy :cool:
    Changelog version 2.1:
    • v2.1
      • also read the v2.0 Changelogs!
      • added FlixEdition-Power by and for flix123 with the following differences to official version: https://github.com/StefanGuendhoer/guestekrnL_for_stock_v1.6.2_upwards/compare/master...FlixEdition - the differences are minimal because I merged some good changes into the official version of the kernel. Nevertheless thanks to flix123 for his endless efforts to make this kernel smoother :good::victory: Currently the FlixEdition-Power is only different from guestekrnL-Flix123-Chain in it's default GuesteOC settings (heavy use of second core, different scheduler, stock led brightness,...) and in the default ramhack size. Still flix123 has earned his own edition named after him, as he is the creator of the very smooth flix-toolchain I use for 2 of my builds as well and the one responsible for some more smoothness improvements in the kernel in general.
        Still I recommend to use the normal/official build as of the default heavy use of second core of FlixEdition-Power (higher battery drain during use) and because fsync is disabled by default - not everyone likes that.
      • AROMA Installer is now able to enable init.d, apply smoothness tweaks and convert filesystem to ext4 if a user selects this option - however this option can only be experimental as it replaces the boot image, which should but might not work fine on every stock ROM. Backup first!
    Changelog version 2.0 part 3/3:
    Changelog version 2.0 part 2/3:
    • v2.0 Rebuild 1
      • this kernel version is basically the same as v2.0 so please read the changelog of v2.0 additionally!
      • introducing 2 new editions (built with a toolchain by flix123) for provision of maximum smoothness + an extra AROMA version with ALL kernel editions inside:
        10ztyxl.png
      • all other editions are the same as before, only GuesteOC has been updated and they have been recompiled (couldn't avoid)!
      • AROMA installer package has been built automatically by my new enhanced kernel building script
      • AROMA installer package allows you to choose between 6 different kernel editions, and allows you to set max. CPU frequency, RamHack size, desired IO Scheduler and ZRam enabled/disabled right during the installation of the guestekrnL kernel
      • new GuesteOC v2.3 directly included with undervolting AND overvolting (new) - TrymHansen is the creator of guesteOC, thank you very much for this awesome new version, Trym! :good:
      • complete sources of guestekrnL v2.0 will be published soon - this means the Ramhack for stock, vibration strength for Stock, tweakable kernel logging and other features introduced by me for guestekrnL will be available for other developers too - please don't forget who introduced them first.

Advice:
    Please try the new edition(s) compiled with flix123 toolchain (by flix123, thanks to flix for provision!) - you can test & install them along with your preferred settings with the cool new AROMA installer package!

Changelog version 2.0 part 1/3:
    • v2.0
      • introducing ramhack + changeable ramhack size (!) (details some lines below) - never seen on any LG O2X stock kernel before
      • introducing completely adjustable vibration intensity (!) (details some lines below) - never seen on any LG O2X stock kernel before
      • additional UHOC (ulta high OC) version is available too with default clock of 1,1 GHz and max clock 1,536 GHz - the frequency/voltage table looks like this:
        <=216 MHz - 770 mV \ <=389 MHz - 770 mV \ <=503 MHz - 800 mV \ <=760 MHz - 875 mV \ <=912 MHz - 925 mV \ <=1150 MHz - 1025 mV \ <=1312 MHz - 1125 mV \ <=1408 MHz - 1225 mV \ <=1536 MHz - 1325 mV
        (9 steps because symbi0sis offers one faked additional freq/volt step unlike other kernels)
      • only use UHOC version if you really need overclocking > 1,45 GHz! otherwise use default version (HOC) with OC up to 1,45 GHz
      • new symbi0sis toolchain v2 with full arm hard-float ABI support instead of softfp, updated components and tweaks
      • 4 kernel versions:
        mtrbk.png

Which version of the kernel should I take?
        • only take a version with "-UHOC" at the end of the filename if you really need highest overclocking
        • symbi0sis toolchain is always changing and work in progress. its purpose is to beat guestekrnL toolchain in kernel smoothness, performance and battery.
        • hmm which version to choose? guestekrnL tool chain or symbiosis tool chain? what is the difference?

As mentioned the compilation toolchains are used for compiling the kernel under linux (= making binary kernel image out of kernel source files) and affect battery, stability, smoothness (scrolling) and performance of the kernel.

guestekrnL chain is from May 31 2012 (initially created for guestekrnL) while symbi0sis v2 is from October 10 2012. guestekrnL chain is the "good old stable&smooth one" and symbi0sis is the one aiming to beat (be better than) gueste --- war of the chains :laugh::cool:

Some differences:
          - symbi0sis chain v2 uses gcc compiler v4.5.4 (2012) while guestekrnL uses gcc v4.5.3 (2011)
          - symbi0sis chain v2 uses some newer libs and components than guestekrnL chain
          - symbi0sis chain v2 is a full hard-float chain while guestekrnL chain is softfp (probably performance improvement)
          - some differences in build flags
          - minor other differences

Feedback on the performance of both chains by different users:
          - symbi0sis chain v2 seems to provide a bit better power consumption than guestekrnL chain
          - symbi0sis chain v2 seems to provide the best overall performance
          - guestekrnL chain seems to provide the smoothest slow-scrolling (so the fewest lags when scrolling very slowly)
          - guestekrnL chain seems to be a bit more stable than symbi0sis chain (so if you use symbi0sis and have freezes or something you might want to try guestekrnL chain edition)

So just try whatever edition you like, they are both not bad at all.​
      • enhanced kernel building script which automatically builds all 4 versions of the kernel (2 toolchains + UHOC/nonUHOC) - advantage for me basically because it saves time :laugh:
      • switched back to ZRam without snappy compression due to some lagginess reasons
      • drastically improved smoothness
      • various changes in kernel configuration, inspired by 1.1.2 of my CM7 symbi0sis kernel
      • added full arm hard-float ABI support for performance
      • there have been some changes in the kernel & GuesteOC default values, so the currently recommended settings will be set in GuesteOC automatically after kernel flash. Try them.
      • changed auto-brightness steps: the lowest step now is 99% identical to CM7 kernel original default auto-brightness
      • new build flags for kernel modules
      • updated GuesteOC app by TrymHansen (thank you!!!) for controlling new kernel feature, supporting new kernel modules structure & mounting and fixing some bugs
      • tweakable kernel logging (logging disabled by default)
      • screen-state-based kernel behavior: giving for example the possibility of kernel logging only when screen is on
      • kernel modules can now be loaded with "modprobe <module-name>" and don't need to be loaded with "insmod <full_module_path/module-name.ko>" - advantage: modprobe doesn't need full module path and also loads dependent modules if there are dependencies
      • stability improvements
      • removed Compcache (ZRam is better)
      • I introduced a completely new kernel OnTheFly feature: (never seen on any LG O2X stock kernel before)
        Code:
        kernel_logging
        (OTF name)

It accepts values 0, 1 or 2
        • 0 = no logging [GuesteOC-default, set on boot after kernel flash]
        • 1 = logging only when screen is on
        • 2 = logging all the time [kernel-internal default, used until overwritten by GuesteOC]

This can be controlled/set via GuesteOC (see screenshot).
        [Kernel logging is what you see when you open the app "aLogcat"]

less or no logging is believed to save some battery juice
      • Amazing new features by TrymHansen for GuesteOC:
        • on-the-fly changing of virtual RAM size (16 - 256 MByte)
        • slider for vibration intensity (from very low to strong)
        • changing Ramhack-Size directly from within GuesteOC with a slider - 0-96 MB; modifying boot image and reboot happens automatically on applying - THX again to TrymHansen, you are the best!
      • optimized AES and SHA1 routines
      • current size of Ramhack is OTF readable in /proc/gueste/ramhack_size -> default: 32 MB Ramhack [changebale in GuesteOC]
      • OTF changeable vibrator (haptic feedback) intensity in /proc/gueste/vibe_intensity (values 1500-3700) [changebale in GuesteOC as well]
      • enabling optimized crypto routines in defconfig
      • added 3 small binaries to kernel setup zip for providing GuesteOC app the possibility to change ramhack size
      • many changes in kernel configuration
      • battery-related changes
      • some other, minor things
      • some tweaks
      • credits during changes of this release to TrymHansen, morphic, wkpark, vadonka, faux123 and benee - If I forgot someone he/she is most likely mentioned in the git commits or source code merges or the changelogs and commits of my symbi0sis kernel

Ramhack:
    Ramhack size in MB (set it in GuesteOC):
    MisjudgedTwat said:
    0 -- Everything is working
    32 -- Everything is working [in rare cases problems with video rec]
    48 -- Everything is working [in some cases problems with video rec]
    64 -- 1080p video recording/playback doesn't work
    80 -- 1080p video recording/playback and some very heavy 3D games doesn't work (Chainfire3D texture resolution adjust help)
    96 -- 1080/720p video recording/playback, and many 3D games doesn't work (Chainfire3D texture resolution adjust help)

Questions:
    • What does virtual memory/RAM mean? Virtual memory means that the real available RAM (the more the bigger Ramhack is) can either be compressed to simulate additional RAM (= ZRAM) or it can be enhanced using a Swap file which will be stored on the SD card. Swap is slower than compressed RAM, and compressed RAM is faster but needs more battery!
    • I OC'd / UV'd too high and get bootloops - what now? If you OC'd too high and get bootloops, re-flash only the kernel, it will remove OC / UV ! No need to re-flash whole ROM.

Download all versions: http://www.mediafire.com/?9lvnkfthj9dbo
    Installation: Just flash. Preferably use a clean system without many left-overs from other kernel so you don't get a wrong impression of symbi0sis kernel.
    Stefan Gündhör said:
    Hi! Nice to hear that you are willing to try guestekrnL :good:
    Well since some version guestekrnL deletes some init scripts and some additional stuff flashed along with other kernels like HorsePower, but there might be some files (left-overs) not being deleted by guestekrnL setup script.
    Easiest way would be if guestekrnL cleaned the whole init.d folder, but I always criticized this about kernel DEVs doing this because in this cause all custom init.d scripts added by creators of custom ROMs would be lost too.

However there are some things guestekrnL can't/doesn't clean: Tweaks by other kernels in /system/build.prop file per example. These entries will be left over even if you change your kernel.
    You could of course replace this file with the original file of the ROM you use.
    Additionally in past some kernels also replaced some system files with tweaked or different ones. You can't really undo that.

But basically this is no problem, the tweaks will work with guestekrnL as well. I just mentioned it because user experience / power consumption / stability of "clean ROM + guestekrnL" versus "ROM with different kernel previously + guestekrnL" might be different.

But just go ahead, try guestekrnL and if you think you need a full wipe you can still do that later on :)
    Complete sources in the main download folder: http://www.mediafire.com/?9lvnkfthj9dbo

Screenshots: will follow soon :)

Changelogs & description guestekrnL v1.x:

guestekrnL v1 - for Stock & Stock-based ROMs

Download all Versions: http://www.mediafire.com/?9lvnkfthj9dbo
    Latest version (v1.8.1-HighOC): http://www.mediafire.com/?pfby2anqqdifz
    Latest FlixEditions by Flix123 (based on guestekrnL 1.8.1 if > v1.3): http://www.mediafire.com/?kguh32agjhmgp

You find the latest GuesteOC tool (for overclocking and tweaking) by TrymHansen always here: LINK

You need init.d to be already working on your ROM in order to use GuesteOC! - If u don't have init.d yet, u can enable using a spica PerformancePack

Easily build your own (modified) version of guestekrnL: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1678049

Changelog:
    June 09, 2012 -- added best battery edition of guestekrnL v1.8.1: LINK

Changelog:
    June 03, 2012 -- guestekrnL v1.8.1-HighOC: LINK

Changelog:
    May 30, 2012 -- first community build of guestekrnL is out -- guestekrnL-FlixEdition-v1.1: LINK

Changelog:
    May 28, 2012 -- rebuild of guestekrnL SR99R100.1PI.1337 using a different VM -- rebuilt version is smoother than the build from yesterday (May27)!

Changelog:
    May 27, 2012 -- guestekrnL SR99R100.1PI.1337: LINK

Changelog:
    May 13, 2012 -- guestekrnL v1.7_SE-Final: LINK

Changelog:
    May 01, 2012 -- guestekrnL v1.7.0: LINK

Changelog:
    April 26, 2012 -- guestekrnL v1.6.2: LINK

Changelog:
    April 17, 2012 -- guestekrnL v1.6.1: LINK

Changelog:
    April 13, 2012 -- Bugfix01 for guestekrnL v1.6:
    Small Bugfix: Trym has discovered a very small bug, causing one of the saved OTF frequencies not to be remembered correctly after reboot. You can solve it by flashing the Bugfix01 or the kernel with Bugfix01 included.
    (This is no kernel bug! Just a bug in an /etc/init.d/ script responsible for "remembering" the OTF values)

Changelog:
    April 12, 2012 -- guestekrnL v1.6 + Bugfix01 (April 13): LINK

Changelog:
    March 26, 2012 -- guestekrnL v1.5: LINK

Changelog:
    March 20, 2012 -- guestekrnL v1.4.1: LINK

Changelog:
    March 07, 2012 -- guestekrnL v1.3.1:
    • extremely small kernel and modules sizes (even without -Os compilation flag)
    • both ZRam (+369 MB Ram) and Swap (+383 MB Ram) enabler/disabler available for download - freedom of choice :) (ZRam enabler will disable Swap and vice-versa) ; Zram should be more performant than Swap, but eventually also drain the battery faster ; both ZRam and Swap are disabled by default
    • BFQ scheduler updated
    • many entries added to global kernel configuration file "include/linux/guestekrnl.h" (only important for users interested in compiling guestekrnL from source)
    • bug fixes, performance tweaks
    • compilation flags changed (-O2 instead of -Ofast)
    • some kernel logging removed
    • xz-compressed kernel image, xz-(de)compression (boot-time) support added
    • reverted some changes in lowmemorykiller
    • many voltage and clock/speed adjustments
    • new version of ZRam enabler, the old one won't work!
    • stable, not too highly undervolted kernel -- you can UV yourself using UV tools though (only overclockable edition)

Changelog:
    March 03, 2012 -- guestekrnL v1.2.1:
    • Overclocking bug fixed - once CPU is OC'd it will stay OC'd now
    • changes in cpu speed steps: new steps are 216, 324, 503, 800, 1015, 1100, 1216, 1408 (same steps as etana kernel currently uses)
    • kernel default cpu speed now 1.0 GHz like stock kernel
    • screen off max cpu speed now 503 MHz
    • changes again in second core handling
    • stability fixes
    • strong vibration editions (thx to spica1234) -- please note that strong vibration might cause problems if haptic feedback is enabled in LG stock keyboard:
      markop90 said:
      I guess the vibrator is too strong and LG "tap" sensors are activated moving the cursor randomly
    Changelog:
    March 02, 2012 -- Additional version without OC/UV possibility @1.0 GHz Stock-max.Speed -- for stock kernel lovers ;)

Changelog:
    March 01, 2012 -- guestekrnL v1.2 FINAL:
    • never-seen smoothnes @ 912 MHz (= underclocked)
    • non-working ramzswap kernel module removed
    • ZRAM integrated as kernel module (use is optional; use of ZRAM "increases" RAM amount (= +369MB), but might drain battery faster)
    • activation/deactivation pack for ZRAM
    • old swap file will be deleted on kernel or zram pack install
    • lower swappiness if no ZRAM is used
    • ipv6 enabled again
    • revert second core activation & treshold back to stock kernel settings for better battery
    • there will be an additional version with stronger vibration soon (thanks and credits to spica!)
    • currently two downloadable & flashable kernel ZIPs:
      1. guestekrnL_v1.2_FINAL_withAndrevOC_normalVibration.zip -> Andrev OC Adjuster and Myrt Undervolt GUI will be installed directly with the kernel
      2. guestekrnL_v1.2_FINAL_Bulk_normalVibration.zip -> Only the kernel will be installed
    -- pending: version with stronger vibration

Changelog:
    February 18, 2012 -- FINAL version of v1.1:
    • new cpu speed steps & voltages
    • again more smoooothness (scrolling, responsiveness)
    • max. ScreenOff CPU frequency lowered to 316 MHz and some other changes (hopefully saving some juice)
    • 3 versions of kernel with different cpu speed steps:
      1. Low overclock version with cpu speed steps 216-316-503-655-816-912-1015-1100 (MHz) -- recommended version!!
      2. Medium overclock version with cpu speed steps 216-316-503-655-816-912-1015-1216 (MHz)
      3. High overclock version with cpu speed steps 216-316-503-655-816-912-1015-1312 (MHz)
    • the first 7 cpu speed steps are the same in all 3 versions, because I decided these steps are the best choice -- there is only one OC step because there can only be 8 CPU steps (handled by OC tools)
    • try 1,1Ghz max version, it is smooth enough for nearly everyone I hope, even at 1,0 GHz!!
    • default max cpu clock (screen on) is 1015 MHz

Features/Description​

WIPE DALVIK CACHE BEFORE INSTALL

- EXT2/3/4 built in
    - based on official LG v20Q kernel sources
    - OC/UV support, overclocking up to 1408MHz
    - Andrev OC compatibility
    - not highly undervolted by default, you can do this yourself using tools
    - however, still some voltage tweaks
    - CPU clock locked at max. 503 Mhz while screen is off (taken from swiftextreme kernel if I remeber correctly) - no need to set this in oc tools
    - default CPU clock at 1.0 GHz, you can higher/lower it yourself using OC tools
    - very smooooooth
    - Voodoo Sound
    - SLQB
    - CIFS, TUN
    - SWAP & ZRAM support
    - many Tweaks either by me or "inspired" and taken from the source codes of ironkrnL and SwiftExtreme kernel
    - compiled with Linaro GCC & Toolchain
    - more things which you can find in the latest changelogs

Credits:
    - setiron
    - fajarep
    - cpasjuste
    - pastime1971
    - spica1234
    - supercurio
    - dr4go
    - LG for v20Q sources

Big THX to spica1234 for supporting me via PM during development!!!!

14nzlu1.png
    33at160.png
    bj7omr.png

Latest sources @ Github (1.0 sources @mediafire): https://github.com/StefanGuendhoer/LG-P990-O2X----guestekrnL-for-stock for kernels < 1.6.2 and https://github.com/StefanGuendhoer/guestekrnL_for_stock_v1.6.2_upwards for kernels > 1.6.2 OR at http://androtransfer.com/?developer=gueste&folder=sources

Source for kernel 1.7-SE is within the download folder of the kernel and @androtransfer and @mediafire!

GuesteOC

This post has been moved here.
    guestekrnL v1.6 + GuesteOC v2.0

Revolution is here

TrymHansen and I have worked many days and nights to take v20Q stock kernel and the Overclocking & Controlling tool to their next levels.

-------------- The Kernel (by Stefan Gündhör) --------------​
    Revolutionary & never seen before:
    - OnTheFly adjustment of auto background light intensity-scaling
    - Fixed Second Core CPU scaling bug when device runs on battery
    - Full OnTheFly Control of whole Second Core Handling
    - Strong Vibration for both haptic feedback and incoming calls, seperately selectable (though incoming call vib feature needs to be tested and feedback)
    - Fixed Frequency Adjustment bug when second core is active and frequency of CPU gets changed while active
    - Completely rewritten setter methods for cpu frequency, allowing better second core handling and easier handling via GuesteOC tool
    - OTF alternative for easier adjustment of LED button brightness
    - Automatic calculation of second core enable/disable frequency limits based on current CPU frequency via OTF (can be enabled or disabled)
    - Many new additional voltages and frequencies adjustable via OTF
    - Completely "redesigned" OTF code, getters will always show the current value even if it has been changed internally in kernel and not from outside; also the setters aren't bugged anymore when you p.ex. remove the new line from an OTF file and insert a value with one digit less than before
    - Swap, ZRAM, Compcache, nothing -- freedom of choice

Other things to be mentioned:
    - huge increase in smoothness (though this is no hybrid kernel)
    - powersaving
    - OC up to 1,4 GHz again
    - remerged some of HP SR3R kernel changes (credits and thx to spica1234!)
    - merged, adapted, fixed, enhanced spica's OTF code for my needs. Credits for the OTF and some other tweaks by spica1234 and appreciation for his work go to spica1234!
    - compiled with "modded" linaro toolchain
    - fixed wifi/usb tethering
    - fixed frozen apps bug of guestekrnL v1.5
    - no more JRCU (switched to TreeRCU)
    - one version fits all (no more non-OC version as the "Second Core CPU scaling bug when device runs on battery" has been fixed by me, which only happened on OC kernels before and is as I believe the reason for increased battery drain in OC kernels until now)
    - normal battery driver
    - BatteryLifeExtender enabled
    - switched from Deadline to Simple IO Scheduler
    - auto-lowering of various frequencies on ScreenOff for saving energy
    - OC cleaner for flashing (reverting OC settings to standard) will come soon

If you come accross...
    ... a black screen while phone is plugged but LEDs are still active, just press power button like you want to get phone out of sleep. This happened to me once right after install of kernel, but not anymore.

-------------- The Tool (by TrymHansen) --------------​
    20120412222537.png
    20120412222607.png
    20120412222625.png
    20120412222631.png
    (English language is available too of course)

Revolutionary & never seen before:
    - stepless and real-time adjustment of cpu frequency and more or less all OTF features available in the tool
    - complete control over second core activation
    - adjustement of OTF max. screenOff frequency
    - Swap, ZRam, Compcache enabling/disabling OTF
    - Adjustment of LED and auto backlight brightness levels
    - ... (Trym will know most about the tool :) )

Other things to be mentioned:
    - live cpufreq monitor and system stats
    - all the "cool" OTF stuff is adjustable directly via the tool, all the "nerdy" additional OTF stuff for experienced users needs to be adjusted manually in
    for instant change and in
    for remembering the value after reboot

-------------- If you like the releases --------------​
    - Klick THX on a post by TrymHansen too for appreciation of his great OC tool!
    - Consider to buy TrymHansen's nice game from Market
    - Recommend me for becoming recognized developer on XDA

-------------- Source of kernel up-to-date --------------​
    - https://github.com/StefanGuendhoer/LG-P990-O2X----guestekrnL-for-stock/

Before installation I recommend converting your file system to ext4 (if you are using ext3 or unchanged stock ROM) in order to avoid having bugs! Just flash universalEXT4converter by Benee

Small Bugfix: Trym has discovered a very small bug, causing one of the saved OTF frequencies not to be remembered correctly after reboot. You can solve it by flashing the Bugfix01 or the kernel with Bugfix01 included. (This is no kernel bug! Just a bug in an /etc/init.d/ script responsible for "remembering" the OTF values)
    gone for good

content removed - no longer of importance!
    Release kernel v2.1

guestekrnL kernel v2.1 + GuesteOC v2.3 (TrymHansen) -- with Aroma :cool:
    Changelog latest version:
    • v2.1
      • also read the v2.0 Changelogs!
      • added FlixEdition-Power by and for flix123 with the following differences to official version: https://github.com/StefanGuendhoer/guestekrnL_for_stock_v1.6.2_upwards/compare/master...FlixEdition - the differences are minimal because I merged some good changes into the official version of the kernel. Nevertheless thanks to flix123 for his endless efforts to make this kernel smoother :good::victory: Currently the FlixEdition-Power is only different from guestekrnL-Flix123-Chain in it's default GuesteOC settings (heavy use of second core, different scheduler, stock led brightness,...) and in the default ramhack size. Still flix123 has earned his own edition named after him, as he is the creator of the very smooth flix-toolchain I use for 2 of my builds as well and the one responsible for some more smoothness improvements in the kernel in general.
        Still I recommend to use the normal/official build as of the default heavy use of second core of FlixEdition-Power (higher battery drain during use) and because fsync is disabled by default - not everyone likes that.
      • AROMA Installer is now able to enable init.d, apply smoothness tweaks and convert filesystem to ext4 if a user selects this option - however this option can only be experimental as it replaces the boot image, which should but might not work fine on every stock ROM. Backup first!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?9cdr72e2fh3s2
    Installation: Just use the AROMA installer package. All other advices see the Changelogs for kernel v2.0