HTC One M8 Water Test - You Won't Believe Your Eyes!

Search This thread

turbosrrgood

Both of the previous posters make good points. It's great that the phone appeared to work after being submerged, and it is indeed impressive if it was really able to remain active underwater for so long...However, it was obvious that water was slowly filling up the phone through the headphone jack, and it's likely there would be some long term damage due to possible corrosion and water being trapped. Also, there was no demonstration that the speakers, headphone jack, SD card, charging port, ect still worked.

Still, I'll take it for what it's worth. My S3 stopped working after 3 minutes of being outside in light drizzle, though it was later revived.

JWhetstone02

Mar 6, 2011
South Carolina
from what i read somewhere, the htc one m8 is ipx3 rated. pretty much means that rain, splashes of water won't damage the phone. the whole submerged in water for 90 minutes deal, now thats a little extreme

EDIT: "The HTC One (M8) IPx3 rating means it's protected from water spray up to 60 degrees at 10l per minute, pressure of 80-100kN/m2 up to 5 mins" link here

BFirebird101

Feb 10, 2011
from what i read somewhere, the htc one m8 is ipx3 rated. pretty much means that rain, splashes of water won't damage the phone. the whole submerged in water for 90 minutes deal, now thats a little extreme

EDIT: "The HTC One (M8) IPx3 rating means it's protected from water spray up to 60 degrees at 10l per minute, pressure of 80-100kN/m2 up to 5 mins" link here

Nice find! I've been looking for this.

Sent from my HTC One M8!

HughesNet

Apr 3, 2013
And what if that was mineral oil instead of water? That would explain it working. After all we didn't actually see him fill the sink.

GHII

Dec 5, 2008
Yuma
Im not surprised, I dropped my Droid DNA in the lake and it sunk a couple feet before I could get it, and worked like a charm after that. Then later on when I tried to tear the phone down to replace the screen I found out it had a rubber seal around the outer edge of the phone.

HughesNet

Apr 3, 2013
Im not surprised, I dropped my Droid DNA in the lake and it sunk a couple feet before I could get it, and worked like a charm after that. Then later on when I tried to tear the phone down to replace the screen I found out it had a rubber seal around the outer edge of the phone.

On a similar note (pun intended) on vacation a couple weeks ago my wife was leaning over a tide pool. Her Note 3 slipped out of her coat pocket and into the tiny pool. The pool wasn't even hardly as deep and the phone is tall and she grabbed it right away and handed it to me. I immediately took the back cover off and removed the battery and dried it down with a towel. Yet, the screen still fried. The phone itself worked. I could hear it turn on and give notification. But the screen was dead. Luckily I was fast enough with the drying that no water damage stickers turned pink and I exchanged it under warranty.

Reactions: 1ManWolfePack

UgXvibe

Mar 7, 2009
Raleigh, NC
My wife dropped her old Droid Incredible to the bottom of a full water trough. Did the little rice trick and it was fine.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

MultiDev

Dec 17, 2010
The M8 is rated for IPX-3 liquid protection, which means it's protected from water spraying onto the phone at a pressure of 80-100kPa for five minutes at any angle up to 60 degrees from the vertical. It can handle a volume of 0.7 liters per minute.

I'm surprised HTC doesn't advertise this at all. Keep in mind, IPX-3 means you can walk through a rainstorm or a sprinkler system and be fine.

This is not the IP67 rating that the Galaxy S5 has, which does protect against light submersion in water (what the guy in the video did). IP55 of Sony's xperia line is even better, being capable of longer and deeper submersion.

Reactions: BFirebird101

nabbed

Aug 15, 2010
I bet the phone would die quickly if he put a detergent in the water though.
Surfactants like detergents would make the water enter the speaker grills and other small holes.

ransz

Mar 14, 2014
I saw this clip before i ordered my M8 unit, however if u keep searching, there is another youtube clip doing a comparison between the iphone 5s , galaxy s5 and the HTC m8. In one of the tests he makes a water test of submerging all 3 phones. The M8 did indeed kept on working BUT the speakers stopped playing music... something you dont see in this video...
so im guessing that the speakers will be the first to go when in fact tasting water...

Reactions: BFirebird101

schwartz.matthew.e

Sep 17, 2013
I saw this clip before i ordered my M8 unit, however if u keep searching, there is another youtube clip doing a comparison between the iphone 5s , galaxy s5 and the HTC m8. In one of the tests he makes a water test of submerging all 3 phones. The M8 did indeed kept on working BUT the speakers stopped playing music... something you dont see in this video...
so im guessing that the speakers will be the first to go when in fact tasting water...

I waterproof my M7, and it all worked fine. I literally tapped the water out of by speakers haha. And I could see the droplets bouncing thru the speaker grill. It was kinda cool.

Daswolven

Oct 1, 2009
Richmond Hill
I call b.s. on the video. My phone got a little wet on vacation when a dolphin spit at me, and went completely nuts. Having to do an insurance replacement sucks ass.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To me, that's like taking a wet $500 bill and throwing it into a fire, to see if it will burn.

If it burns, you're out 500 bucks. If it doesn't, you've gained NOTHING.

Stupid test.

I don't think it is a wise idea for others do that. That guy probably just got lucky and there may be some long term effects if any water logging occurs. This phone is not certified to be water resistant.

But I was quite surprised nonetheless!
    http://youtu.be/lhwvXTVQoPM

On a similar note (pun intended) on vacation a couple weeks ago my wife was leaning over a tide pool. Her Note 3 slipped out of her coat pocket and into the tiny pool. The pool wasn't even hardly as deep and the phone is tall and she grabbed it right away and handed it to me. I immediately took the back cover off and removed the battery and dried it down with a towel. Yet, the screen still fried. The phone itself worked. I could hear it turn on and give notification. But the screen was dead. Luckily I was fast enough with the drying that no water damage stickers turned pink and I exchanged it under warranty.