Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

chrcol

Jan 17, 2012
UK
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8 Pro
I have been using this app for 3 reasons mainly.

1 - need it for BLN sms alerts.
2 - its faster than stock sms app, or it was when I installed it, now seems slower to navigate messages and contacts but is still faster to compose a message (stock app has huge pause on compose).
3 - the theming, the stock sms app theme is quite bad.

I havent had a single bit of spam no adverts or anything.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
chrcol said:
I have been using this app for 3 reasons mainly.

1 - need it for BLN sms alerts.
2 - its faster than stock sms app, or it was when I installed it, now seems slower to navigate messages and contacts but is still faster to compose a message (stock app has huge pause on compose).
3 - the theming, the stock sms app theme is quite bad.

I havent had a single bit of spam no adverts or anything.

While the spam is a pita for sure. My main issue is how they seem to know that someone used the app on an old phone after they changed phones and never installed it on the new one. This would lead to the result of them storing users phone numbers on their private servers which is illegal in most of the world.

mbutandola

Jan 3, 2011
Paris
While the spam is a pita for sure. My main issue is how they seem to know that someone used the app on an old phone after they changed phones and never installed it on the new one. This would lead to the result of them storing users phone numbers on their private servers which is illegal in most of the world.

You should contact Android Police and report to google. They may be forced to react.
On the other hand I don't see how I could do with another sms app. This one is just the best out there.
Just a question : how do I disable the app picture viewer? Couldn't find the option in settings.

Cheers

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9100 avec Tapatalk

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
mbutandola said:
You should contact Android Police and report to google. They may be forced to react.
On the other hand I don't see how I could do with another sms app. This one is just the best out there.
Just a question : how do I disable the app picture viewer? Couldn't find the option in settings.

Cheers

I have sent one final PM asking for a clear answer. If they do not reply I will have no choice but to conclude that they are collecting private user data and the apps will be removed and threads closed.

As for your question I am not sure. I stopped using it once the security issues came to light. Not sure if it is an option.

mbutandola

Jan 3, 2011
Paris
I have sent one final PM asking for a clear answer. If they do not reply I will have no choice but to conclude that they are collecting private user data and the apps will be removed and threads closed.

As for your question I am not sure. I stopped using it once the security issues came to light. Not sure if it is an option.

If they receive a lot of pm a day they might not read it. Did you try twitter? Or contact somebody who speaks Chinese (lidroid for instance.
As for my question, the penultimate update added the possibility to disable the picture viewer.

dmarden

Oct 30, 2008
Philadelphia, PA

For what it is worth, I am not entirely certain that they're collecting and storing all sorts of info. They may be, I have no idea.

I have a few users with feature phones and a few with iPhones and most of them show up as Go SMS users too, lol.

*shrug* Wish they'd come clean on it, just adding what I've noticed.

c00ller

Jun 10, 2010
Hey dmarden, a while ago on this thread you mentioned you were testing a bunch of different SMS alternatives. I'm just curious about which app you decided on and why.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
For what it is worth, I am not entirely certain that they're collecting and storing all sorts of info. They may be, I have no idea.

I have a few users with feature phones and a few with iPhones and most of them show up as Go SMS users too, lol.

*shrug* Wish they'd come clean on it, just adding what I've noticed.

Well to be honest. I like Go sms Alot and really wanted to come up with a way on how this was done. So I went about looking at different ways this could be done. The only way that I came across was to link the accounts by device ID or by phone number. The first was tossed when we found that they were still linked after swapping phones and not installing it on the new phone. That left phone number storing.

I have emailed, PM, and posted along with another mod asking for them to come clean. Best answer we got was "Its complicated".

Now I am not trying to come across like a hate monger but I have alot of numbers in my phone that are not public numbers and can get me into alot of legal trouble if they get out into the open. So being able to trust a developer is a big deal.

Now I know is some countries this type of data collection is completely ok and legal but its not everywhere. I will wait for a few days for a reply.

dmarden

Oct 30, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Hey dmarden, a while ago on this thread you mentioned you were testing a bunch of different SMS alternatives. I'm just curious about which app you decided on and why.

Sadly, they're all horrible in some fashion. Below is my impression of the ones I played with. By all means, NOT a full pro/con list... just the major thing causing me concern.

Go SMS: Community recluse / Possible info-thief
Handcent: Huge partial wakelock issue / less theme-capable
ChompSMS: Very "cludgy", slow.
Pansi SMS: A bit light feature wise, mediocre performance.

They all have an "issue" (not really their fault) where they don't rotate vertical pictures taken with Samsung cameras for MMS, this is because Samsung chooses to use the orientation property instead of saving the picture in a vertical resolution. Only the Samsung stock "Touchwiz" SMS app handles this properly.

Aaaaanyway, to answer your question... I'm not leaving any 3rd party SMS app installed on my phone right now. Just using the stock one. It works (despite being feature-deprived), is safe, and it flips my pictures.

I still install pretty much every SMS app each time they update to see if anything has improved.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Well to be honest. I like Go sms Alot and really wanted to come up with a way on how this was done. So I went about looking at different ways this could be done. The only way that I came across was to link the accounts by device ID or by phone number. The first was tossed when we found that they were still linked after swapping phones and not installing it on the new phone. That left phone number storing.

I have emailed, PM, and posted along with another mod asking for them to come clean. Best answer we got was "Its complicated".

Now I am not trying to come across like a hate monger but I have alot of numbers in my phone that are not public numbers and can get me into alot of legal trouble if they get out into the open. So being able to trust a developer is a big deal.

Now I know is some countries this type of data collection is completely ok and legal but its not everywhere. I will wait for a few days for a reply.

No argument from me... it's a major concern and I really don't understand why they won't communicate on the topic. This is different than not responding to a feature request or some obscure (not to be read as unimportant) bug report.

As unfortunate as it is, the only conclusion that I can draw is that they have something to hide. It's a problem.

chrcol

Jan 17, 2012
UK
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8 Pro
To add to my previous post I agree with the concerns and I think the first warning light is the fact the app is free when its good enough that people would pay for it.

As a user tho I am stuck in a hard place. As for a start BLN fucntionality for SMS to me is essential, big enough that if it doesnt work I ditch my smartphone and go back to my old nokia. There is alternative sms apps but they dont exactly have a glowing reference so I expect I wouldnt be pleased although I am probably willing to test handcent, however if that has a wakelock issue on my phone then it wont stay.

Now to the privacy concerns, I am annoyed but not that bothered if my number is stored somewhere, to me the much bigger concern is if they then spam people from my number (is that possible?) or harvest my contact list and spam them because they have got their details of my phone. So far I havent seen reports of these 2 things but I guess its a risk. Of course uninstalling the app with these concerns is already too late they have likely already harvested what they need although it depends how they get the information. As to my next point about me getting no ads.

I have background data disabled 24/7 unless using the market and then it goes off again right after, the wifi is only on when needed, same with bluetooth, 3g, data mode and gps.

I thank the person on this thread that raised awareness of droidwall which I plan to install to lockdown apps that I know shouldnt need data access.

Another example been that I had uno free on my phone, 3 days ago I woke up my phone and had a notification telling me to buy the game, so it either had something running in the background or its waking up on a schedule to do this sort of thing, that to me freaked me out and I uninstalled the game. I am actually considering now going back to my nokia for sms/calls and just carrying this in my pocket as an extra should I need to use mobile internet for some reason.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
To add to my previous post I agree with the concerns and I think the first warning light is the fact the app is free when its good enough that people would pay for it.

As a user tho I am stuck in a hard place. As for a start BLN fucntionality for SMS to me is essential, big enough that if it doesnt work I ditch my smartphone and go back to my old nokia. There is alternative sms apps but they dont exactly have a glowing reference so I expect I wouldnt be pleased although I am probably willing to test handcent, however if that has a wakelock issue on my phone then it wont stay.

Now to the privacy concerns, I am annoyed but not that bothered if my number is stored somewhere, to me the much bigger concern is if they then spam people from my number (is that possible?) or harvest my contact list and spam them because they have got their details of my phone. So far I havent seen reports of these 2 things but I guess its a risk. Of course uninstalling the app with these concerns is already too late they have likely already harvested what they need although it depends how they get the information. As to my next point about me getting no ads.

I have background data disabled 24/7 unless using the market and then it goes off again right after, the wifi is only on when needed, same with bluetooth, 3g, data mode and gps.

I thank the person on this thread that raised awareness of droidwall which I plan to install to lockdown apps that I know shouldnt need data access.

Another example been that I had uno free on my phone, 3 days ago I woke up my phone and had a notification telling me to buy the game, so it either had something running in the background or its waking up on a schedule to do this sort of thing, that to me freaked me out and I uninstalled the game. I am actually considering now going back to my nokia for sms/calls and just carrying this in my pocket as an extra should I need to use mobile internet for some reason.

Droid wall would be an option but MMS uses data and IF you block the data you cant DL mms pics.

mbutandola

Jan 3, 2011
Paris
@zelendel Could you get some good devs to break the apk down and see what they actually collect and where they send it to?
I'm pretty sure it could be done.
Isn't that the way carrier IQ got caught?

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
@zelendel Could you get some good devs to break the apk down and see what they actually collect and where they send it to?
I'm pretty sure it could be done.
Isn't that the way carrier IQ got caught?

In the end that is what I am gonna have to do but I am trying to give them a chance to Man-up and not have to do this. The easy part is where it is being sent to. They would have to store the info on their private servers.

KennyLegend

Jan 13, 2011
Cork
In the end that is what I am gonna have to do but I am trying to give them a chance to Man-up and not have to do this. The easy part is where it is being sent to. They would have to store the info on their private servers.

This is a real pity as its the best SMS app out there. I went back to stock SMS a few weeks ago and im not keen on it. I like to use smilies and unobtrusive delivery reports etc and the stock app is cack for this. OK , it works fine and it'll do fine for now but u guys know what i mean ;)

I like the idea of breaking down the app. Some nice info to be found i would reckon.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

happyllj

Dec 4, 2010

Please be noted that GO SMS never transfer or store personal data, as an experienced DEV team, we follow Google policy, and know which cant do.
Thanks

mbutandola

Jan 3, 2011
Paris
Please be noted that GO SMS never transfer or store personal data, as an experienced DEV team, we follow Google policy, and know which cant do.
Thanks

How did you manage to get to know about people even after they had changed phones?
This is a recipe for controversy. There are people on here who have long arms and that will only lead to bad publicity. Please come clean on this.
Cheers.

ecwpa

Apr 3, 2011
8bitnectar.com
How did you manage to get to know about people even after they had changed phones?
This is a recipe for controversy. There are people on here who have long arms and that will only lead to bad publicity. Please come clean on this.
Cheers.

I think this app is going to be dissected anyway. They still can give a good answer to this concern but sounds hard to do without storing phone contacts elsewhere.

This is a big concer for me. I'm trying to make themes for this app and I've also recommended the app to a lot of friends already :/

AfzalivE

Aug 27, 2010

decompile and look at the source, that's the only way to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

V4.62 Update (2012-8-31)
    1. Continue improve UI/UE details of the new GO 2.0 default theme
    2. Add In App Purchase and download support for themes
    3. GO Chat support personalized QRcode
    4. GO Chat friends' searching support gender filter
    5. Improve the Sync Facebook avatars feature
    6. Improve the check update function
    7. Optimize GO SMS settings’UI
    8. Other UI/UE improvement and bugs fix

Note:location permission is needed by "Matching Nearby friends" feature, default is turned off, you control it

**Note**:We improve GO SMS continually according to users’ feedback, Release new features, bug fix WEEKLY, If you are already happy with GO SMS you are using, Need NOT update; just Rate high and spread GO SMS to support us, Thanks

Tip: If GO SMS confict with you security app or other app, try uncheck “Disable other message notification” in Receive Settings

===============================

GO SMS Pro Theme Maker released
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1154500

[App Reviews]

Angeschaut : GO SMS Pro
    http://androidblogger.eu/2011/11/07/angeschaut-go-sms-pro/

We are always listening to the users ,working for the users!

If you have comments, please reply to this thread or send us email.

And if you like our work, please support us by giving your high rate in
    Google Market, recommending to your friends and forums. Thanks!

Tips/Explanation:

1. To make GO SMS as default (avoid receiving two notifications), Open stock SMS, in Settings, disable the Notifications, and in GO SMS's Settings, verify that Notifications option is enabled

2. Warning about “keep getting duplicate messages”: If you installed latest Handcent. It may cause you to receive double messages in GO SMS, please disable “Self-check” under “Retrieve message settings” of Handcent settings

3. If trouble with receiving MMS, please go to the stock SMS's settings, and enable the MMS auto-retrieve

4. For time offset issue, please try: Settings->Receive Settings-> set time adjustment offset

5. To fix message out of order issue for some phones, please try: Settings–Appearance Settings–Sort type of conversation messages

6. To make automatically turn on the screen when receiving message, go to "Settings"-"Notification Settings"-"Default notification Settings", enable "Unlock screen"

7. For privacy, you can use security lock, and you can set "Notification bar privacy mode" in "Default notification Settings"; uncheck “Display message content” in Popup windows settings

8. For individual settings, you can set it through Settings - Individual Settings, or through menu in conversation UI (individual bubble settings are under dev, thanks)

9. You can set signature in "Send Settings", and set individual signature in “Individual settings”.

10. Vote function (Menu –Vote. Please vote for “3 features you would love most to get from GO SMS”)

11. For reminder for unread messages, enable option: Settings–Notification Settings – Default notification settings–Reminder

12. There are two MMS view mode: long pressing the MMS, you can select “View flat slideshow” or “View slideshow”.

13. Messages Group Mode means if two messages’ interval is within 3 minutes, they will be grouped; the second message will not display time.

14. GO SMS support sending message to group: you just need to select multiple contacts (or group) from contact list.

15. “Resend” option is available in context menu for failed messages

attachment.php
    Well as the developer has not replied to this thread in months and no longer supports this thread on XDA and only uses it for advertising which is against XDA rules. I am closing it up.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    Happylij: You say you listen to users but you've royally SCREWED the backup feature.

First we got to backup whenever we want with the scheduler.

Then we got the scheduler removed so it was just once a day.

Now backup is cloud and we have to pay to have a reasonable backup.

Are you even listening to us? Why is this app so bloated?

It's funny because many of us flocked here when Handcent got too bloated. Now GoSMS is going down that same slippery slope.
    Please remove the "We are always listening to the users ,working for the users!" message in the first post. Its misleading...
    Just came here to say that I uninstalled GoSMS from my phone completely because of the stupid add-ons they throw in with every update. It used to be lightweight and unobtrusive, but now you have GoChat, GoStore, GoApps or whatever, etc. It's way too much crap. Not to mention that every time I'd open it, I'd get some kind of "update" from the Go Team telling me about new themes or new add-ons or something, which means my phone is always polling their servers, using battery, and potentially invading my privacy. So thanks but no thanks Go Team; you really ruined something good.