Threaded Group SMS!?

Search This thread

phishie

Jul 26, 2010
Okay everybody... check this out. I was looking for a way to get Visual Voicemail working on my One XL... and ran into a dead end. Finally got in touch with a helpful ATT "Advanced Tech Support" guy (after being forwarded from standard tech support)... and he directed me not to the AT&T Visual Voicemail app that is not compatible with the One X... but he says the AT&T Messages app is the one I need. So I installed it... and not only does it work very well for visual voicemail on the One X... the SMS/MMS feature of the app ACTUALLY THREADS GROUP SMS/MMS !!!! And pretty well too.

I've only had it installed about a half hour... but if it's not too buggy... I think this App not only solves the Visual Voicemail issue... but also potentially the SMS/MMS group threading problem. It won't have tons of features for power users (not very customizable... unfortunately)... but for those of us who NEEDED threaded group texts... we may be all set.

Linky below... :)

(Update: I was not able to post the link because I'm new to the forum... just search for "AT&T Messages" in the Android store.)

Wow good find, worked for me - even properly recognized my old group messages from my iphone-tottin' friends.

phishie

Jul 26, 2010
Its weird I hate the lack of privacy on those group text messaging from the iphone.. this is your solution for Android...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1559824

I've used the group mms feature of Handcent and surprisingly the AT&T implementation is way better. Handcent has considerable lag between receiving the group mms and moving it to the group thread. The AT&T conversion is instant.

So far the only issue I've had with the AT&T messages app is that it doesn't display the message on the lock screen as the stock HTC app does.

montevulture

May 13, 2012
San Diego, CA
Okay... so an update on this AT&T Messages app...

It works pretty well, especially if you like all-in-one type of repositories for your calls, VMs, SMS, MMS, etc... ( I don't really... but I need Visual Voicemail, this is my only option- it seems to do that part well). It also does not handle MMS well. When I receive pics via text, the app "plays" them in some sort of movie mode... where you can only see it for a few secs, then the pic goes away. Annoying. Plus... when I send pics via MMS through this , the quality is degraded, almost to a point of not being visible to the person receiving it.

It does the threaded group messaging thing okay... and sure works fine for Visual VM, which is what I needed... but if only the rest of the bugs were worked out... I could use it exclusively. I find myself going back to the stock messaging app to send pics.

Grrrr. Not enough to make me regret moving from my 4S... but why can't they get this stuff right!?!?:mad:

h8rift

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 29, 2010

It works pretty well, especially if you like all-in-one type of repositories for your calls, VMs, SMS, MMS, etc... ( I don't really... but I need Visual Voicemail, this is my only option- it seems to do that part well). It also does not handle MMS well. When I receive pics via text, the app "plays" them in some sort of movie mode... where you can only see it for a few secs, then the pic goes away. Annoying. Plus... when I send pics via MMS through this , the quality is degraded, almost to a point of not being visible to the person receiving it.

It does the threaded group messaging thing okay... and sure works fine for Visual VM, which is what I needed... but if only the rest of the bugs were worked out... I could use it exclusively. I find myself going back to the stock messaging app to send pics.

Grrrr. Not enough to make me regret moving from my 4S... but why can't they get this stuff right!?!?:mad:

I recommend Google Voice for Visual Voicemail.....dont' use that AT&T branded garbage ;p.

Reactions: montevulture

montevulture

May 13, 2012
San Diego, CA
I recommend Google Voice for Visual Voicemail.....dont' use that AT&T branded garbage ;p.

Thanks H8rift... I've set up google voice for Visual VM, and after a little investigating on how to activate via the actual G Voice webpage... I'm up and running, and uninstalled the ATT Messages. I liked the group messaging function on ATT Messages, but the MMS pic issue really killed it for me. Now, if HTC will only fix the bug that doesn't allow reliable notifications for the stock SMS program... I'll be stoked.

Cheers.

daveop

Apr 8, 2010
Chicago
I've been holding off swapping over for this exact reason. My entire management team has iPhones and we all use group MMS. If this app really solved that I will be swapping ASAP and donating to the poster that figured that out.

I've been holding off swapping over for this exact reason. My entire management team has iPhones and we all use group MMS. If this app really solved that I will be swapping ASAP and donating to the poster that figured that out.

Go SMS Pro works well for me with group messages. It even has an option to make sure it threads them in the settings.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.