w0lf's Translator - Google Translate powered app

Search This thread

mobilecriss

Sep 22, 2008
Bucharest
Wolf's Translator uses the Google Translate engine to provide translations.
It's a small program I wrote, because I find it useful to be able to translate From/To so many languages at any time and it's much easier to use on the mobile phone than the web-based version of Google Translate.

In order to run the program, .Net Compact Framework 3.5 has to be installed on the device. (you can download it from here)
Of course, you also need an active Internet Connection.

Currently, the following languages are supported by Google Translate:
- Arabic
- Bulgarian
- Catalan
- Chinese
- Chinese Simplified
- Chinese Traditional
- Croatian
- Czezh
- Danish
- Dutch
- English
- Finnish
- French
- German
- Greek
- Hebrew
- Hindi
- Indonesian
- Italian
- Japanese
- Korean
- Latvian
- Lithuanian
- Norwegian
- Polish
- Portuguese
- Romanian
- Russian
- Serbian
- Slovak
- Slovenian
- Spanish
- Swedish
- Tagalog
- Ukrainian
- Vietnamese

Please note that the translations are not always very accurate, but if you have a text in a different language you don't know, it gives you a good idea about what it means in most of the cases.

A nice feature of Google Translate (also present in the application) is the Language Auto Detect feature: you have a text written in I don't know what language, I tell it to translate to English, for example, and it not only translates it, but also shows the language of the source text (try this by checking the Autodetect FROM Language check box).

A feature that right now is missing, but I'm planning to include in a future version is being allowed to save the favourite language pair, so when you open the program it will automatically select your favourite languages.

This program has been tested so far on HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Touch Pro (VGA) and HTC P3600(Trinity) (QVGA).

Screenshot:
112h7iw.jpg

Edited: 08.12.2008:

Version 1.1 available at http://w0lfwmcoder.googlepages.com/translator

What's new in version 1.1:

- Fixed the "Autodetect" label bug

- Fixed character encoding bug (some characters caused the program to throw an exception)

- Moved the "Cancel" menu item over the "Translate" menu item when processing a request

- "Set Default Languages" - saves the current language combination and restores it when application starts

- "Configure Language Set" - if you only want to use 3 or 4 languages yo may select a subset of the languages supported by the application to be shown in the interface

- Copy/Paste feature

- CAB file for easier installation

Edited: 21.04.2009:

Version 1.2 available at http://w0lfwmcoder.googlepages.com

What's new in version 1.2:

- Added the Turkish, Thai, Hungarian, Estonian, Albanian, Maltese, and Galician languages, because they are now supported by Google Translate. (see this link). Please note that to access these languages you may have to change your current language set (menu: Options -> Configure Language Set).

Last edited:

wapvirus

Jan 24, 2008
London
Thanks for this app working fine on my prophet i have only tested through wifi and active sync Chinese brought up some strange boxes (font not installed i think ) checked polish and Russian, German they seem to work fine one again thanks

Last edited:

bluemetalaxe

Jan 8, 2008
hey man what a wonderfull simple and fast application. i' very impressed! A musthave on a PPC.

just two small bugs:
-the autodetect doesen't work, i always start with english-romanian
-there is a black line missing above the From box.

and some thoughts:
Can you make it a little more Eyecandy and maybe Fingerfriendly and the default application text translatable? you know, Sex sells !

Again: Fantastic and a very fast online Translation

mainsail

Oct 10, 2007
Barcelona
Works perfect for me (MIO A701 WWE 6.1). Default input/ouput languages in settings could be useful.. :D

Thanx man

Frank

Last edited:

mobilecriss

Sep 22, 2008
Bucharest
hey man what a wonderfull simple and fast application. i' very impressed! A musthave on a PPC.

just two small bugs:
-the autodetect doesen't work, i always start with english-romanian
-there is a black line missing above the From box.

and some thoughts:
Can you make it a little more Eyecandy and maybe Fingerfriendly and the default application text translatable? you know, Sex sells !

Again: Fantastic and a very fast online Translation

Thank you very much for your replies; I'm glad to see you enjoy the app.
Bluemetalaxe, thank you for the tips; the next time I find some spare time for programming, I'll surely take into consideration your advice. :)

mainsail

Oct 10, 2007
Barcelona
Autodetect works. I input some spanish text and app traslate to language i want. Autodetect is marked and app get correct language in input. Sometimes appear portuguese because some words are similars..

F

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
weird. now i get an error

Code:
System.net.webexception: an error message cannot be displayed 
because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found ---> 
system.net.sockets.socketexception: an error message cannot be displayed 
because an optional resource assembly containing it cannt be found at 
system.net.dns.resolveinternal() at system.net.dns.gethostentry() 
at system.net.servicepoint.resolve().........

strange.

mobilecriss

Sep 22, 2008
Bucharest
weird. now i get an error

Code:
System.net.webexception: an error message cannot be displayed 
because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found ---> 
system.net.sockets.socketexception: an error message cannot be displayed 
because an optional resource assembly containing it cannt be found at 
system.net.dns.resolveinternal() at system.net.dns.gethostentry() 
at system.net.servicepoint.resolve().........

strange.

Hello!

Please make sure your phone succesfully connects to the Internet and then try again. I'll keep testing the application and if I get this behaviour, I'll issue a new version with this thing fixed.

Thank you!