[Q] Risks?

Search This thread

x10knight

Feb 18, 2011
Hello!

I just rooted my Kindle Fire HD and it is running 7.4.6 with the google apps. What is the risk of bricking if I go through with the tutorial of installing the second boot loader and TWRP?

Ph0enix_216

Hello!

I just rooted my Kindle Fire HD and it is running 7.4.6 with the google apps. What is the risk of bricking if I go through with the tutorial of installing the second boot loader and TWRP?

It depends. As long as you read the directions to the letter, and re-read them to make sure you know what you're doing, it'll be fine. I've done this twice now, with no bricks. I've only needed a fastboot cable once in the year I've owned my Kindle, and it was to fix a product of my own stupidity. So just follow the directions, and everything will be okay :)

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.3... or maybe it's a rooted Kindle Fire HD running CM10.2<<<

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Really? I've never done that and it works fine :confused:

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.3... or maybe it's a rooted Kindle Fire HD running CM10.2<<<

Then you got lucky. That's why all these bootloops. 7.3.0 Amazon patched the exploit. In every thread about 2nd bootloader it mentions downgrading first.

Sent from Nexus 7 flo running SinLess ROM 4.2.2 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

Why should I not use the fire flash method?

You can use fire flash method all you want but if you don't downgrade your boot loader first you risk bootlooping.

x10knight

Feb 18, 2011
Wait.... now I am confused. FireFlash provides a built in button to downgrade the bootloader. Do I need to downgrade fully to 7.2.3 or just the bootloader?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Just the boot loader, however it will boot loop if you don't downgrade the os, sostick the ROM on before hand to avoid having to push it onto the device later on if you aren't downgrading the os as well.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
The bootloader must match the stock Amazon firmware to flash properly and the bootloader needs to be 7.3.0 or 7.23 for the exploit to work. I can't even imagine trying to work out the exploit on the new HDX's

x10knight

Feb 18, 2011
Just the boot loader, however it will boot loop if you don't downgrade the os, sostick the ROM on before hand to avoid having to push it onto the device later on if you aren't downgrading the os as well.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Okay, I'm downgrading to 7.2.3. Is there a guide on that? Also, will the kindle brick when I install 7.2.3 and the bootloader is 7.4.6?

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Okay, I'm downgrading to 7.2.3. Is there a guide on that? Also, will the kindle brick when I install 7.2.3 and the bootloader is 7.4.6?

You should get a fastboot cord first. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128848 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2347170 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2271909

I would use the first link. All 3 links are good though. Read number two links before modding though.