Search This thread

kart_man_21

Dec 25, 2005
Ho pulser,

Thanx for tour great work!
I noticed samsung apps fail to update, due missing vac, so in case someone get a error message try to install csc via odin.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

eiraku

Oct 22, 2007
Mmmmmm, proper BLN support + bugfixes.

Hacked BLN to work with 2.0 anyways over here, so for me now it's just a question of finding out if my metamorph hacks still work with 2.4.2 before I decide to move up (and have to uninstall bloatware AGAIN). Thanks for keeping it deodexed however!

Pulser, the VR versioning is starting to sound like Android's, VR Ice Cream Sandwich anyone?

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009

Hacked BLN to work with 2.0 anyways over here, so for me now it's just a question of finding out if my metamorph hacks still work with 2.4.2 before I decide to move up (and have to uninstall bloatware AGAIN). Thanks for keeping it deodexed however!

Pulser, the VR versioning is starting to sound like Android's, VR Ice Cream Sandwich anyone?

Metamorph should work OK afaik, given its nature :)

veyka

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2007
Norfolk
www.veyka.co.uk

Pulser sandwich, wait wut

Noonski

Inactive Recognized Developer / Moderator Emeritus
Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
One of the longest few hours evar, building apk lists isn't fun ;)

For anyone looking for a hopefully upto date list of what can be removed, look in my sig :)

We should Merge, I see a few differences between your list and mine.
MinimalHome.apk can go Famoesj for starters.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1160976

On VR 2.3 and 2.1 & 2.0 I was removing Browser from system without FC's?
Have not downed latest yet.

Last edited:

veyka

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2007
Norfolk
www.veyka.co.uk
We should Merge, I see a few differences between your list and mine.
MinimalHome.apk can go Famoesj for starters.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1160976

On VR 2.3 and 2.1 & 2.0 I was removing Browser from system without FC's?
Have not downed latest yet.

PS Of Topic nice finding out that SNS Linked In works just fine on my Desire :)

Sounds good to me.

What does MinimalHome.apk do? I really couldn't find out :p

CamoGeko

Retired Forum Moderator
incorrect,

2.4.1 had lot wrong with it :p (not lag)

Wrong versioning, and the kernel did not flash (updater script issue)

Then ninpo made a new kernel anyway so 2.4.2 made sense.

Jeez Lenny, thanks for putting me on the spot like that. :p

Btw, I don't see wrong versioning as an issue (bleh versioning isn't even a word lol).

As for the kernel, well most people would have CF-Root or Ninphetamine already installed so it's not like the ROM wouldn't boot because the kernel didin't flash with the ROM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    vr_forum_logo.png

VillainROM 3.0 for Samsung Galaxy S 2

So that old thread was long... Very long... It had good memories, but it's time to move on to a new thread, as 10k posts is just too much, and there are some more changes this time round. First off, it's as usual, a CWM flashable zip file. But, in a slight change of direction in light of Ninpo and Netarchy's Ninphetamine kernel being more complete, version 2.0.5 is now included. That is newer than the version released in the thread, but it will be updated in due course.

So for now, here's what's new in Version 3.0

- Fully deodexed
    - Introduction of Ninphetamine kernel into the ROM (version 2.0.5 with BLN etc) - Note that BLN doesn't work with the stock SMS app, but Handcent is fine. I will look at ways to trigger BLN from the Messaging app later
    - Install the BLN app from the market to use this
    - Removal of Diginotar root certificates from the trusted store, given they are about as secure as a paper bank vault.
    - All the usual stuff, although VRTweaks will be added from scratch again, since this seems a newer and better base.
    - Re-addition of SIP since Samsung thinks you should be deprived of it.

Additionally, this is a way to try out the official KI3 ROM, without the bootloader being touched, thus allowing the USB jig to continue to working. To re-iterate, VR never flashes radios or bootloaders, so is safe. Stock ROMs, and other custom ROMs which are ODIN flashed, or indeed ZIPs, can and do sometimes flash these things without telling you. Just be aware - Samsung knows about the USB jig resetting the counter, and is on it...

Install procedure, and other details to come in following posts.

Contributing VRTweaks to VillainROM

Iff you want your tweak in VillainTweaks (with full credits etc) then please PM LennyUK with a description, screenshot if you have one to hand and a direct link (xda attachment, dropbox or your own server) No file hosts please.

We will add them to VRTweaks, so users can install them without having to download files to their phone. Likewise, if users find nice tweaks, let Lenny know :)
    VillainROM Installation Instructions

To follow these instructions we presume you already have access to Clockworkmod recovery, and are able to put the zip file onto the SD card, and flash it.

If you are coming from a ROM other than VillainROM 1.2 or above, then you should carry out a full wipe. In fact, you should be carrying out a full wipe anyway, but it's not strictly 100% necessary if you are just coming from the previous version.

Coming from Another ROM

Ensure CWM recovery is available, do a CWM/nandroid backup and titanium backup, and put the zip onto the root of the internal SD.
    Enter CWM, carry out a factory reset, and cache wipe, and flash the ROM via "Install zip from SD" option.
    Reboot the phone into VillainROM, bearing in mind the first boot may take some time on the boot animation.

To use BLN

Ensure you are using the included Ninphetamine kernel, and install this app from the market (free, paid version with more features available)
    IF YOU THINK THE ROM ISN'T ROOTED, INSTALL SUPERUSER FROM THE MARKET. IF YOU WANT CWM APP, GET IT FROM THE ATTACHMENTS LIST

Complete list of Attachments to this thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=1198334
    Super happy fun times

OK, so I think it's time to explain what this is about. It's born from the idea that came about on IRC, for a way to make a theme once for a ROM, rather than have to adjust it for each incremental update for a given ROM or ROMs.

As a user, you don't need to know much - just flash this zip like a regular zip, and you'll get your theme running. But you should be able to apply themes to any device, ROM, and version of the ROM, without it causing adverse effects. That means less time spent by themers making the original theme, and less time spent modifying it constantly for new versions of ROMs.

As a themer? Well, here is the information:

• Inside the zip, in the vrtheme folder, you can create a folder called "system" and "data". The former is required, the latter is not required unless you wanted to theme a data app (strongly not recommended, unless you know the app will be there on every phone)
    • Inside the system or data folder, create a subfolder "app", and in these, make subfolders named EXACTLY after the APK name. For example, to theme the Browser, you need a folder called "Browser.apk". It must be correctly capitalised.
    • Within there, place the files you require for your theme, in the relevant locations. So most PNGs will be in res/drawable-hdpi/. You can put in xml files too (those which are not in resources.arsc), if you compile them via apktool, and extract them with a zip tool.
    • In the vrtheme folder, as well as system and data folder, one called "raw" can exist. Within here, you can place files to be copied verbatim to the ROM (for example, modified JAR files). Note that using this may make the theme device dependent (read WILL make it device dependent)
    • And that's about it. :)

Features
    • Will modify APKs in a ROM, without changing signatures, and can be used on any ROM where the filenames of themed files is the same.
    • Should not need updated between versions of a ROM
    • Zipaligns all APKs before installation
    • Stores a backup of all files being modified in /cache/vrtheme-backup/
    • Requires no coding abilities or editing of files - just drag and drop :)
    • Can copy "raw" files, though at risk of not working on other devices (well, let's face it, it won't work on likely a slightly different ROM, so this feature is not recommended or encouraged)

Credits

Doctorcete for the original idea in a discussion on IRC
    Stericson for the original idea of metamorph. While totally different, it's a shared goal to separate themes from ROMs
    Matt from the Metamorph team, for the zip binary compiled for Android
    Seshy, for testing

EULA

Nothing evil or complicated - just a few little things. You should not charge for access to this code. That includes a zip containing this, or a derivative of it. So please don't sell themes using it. That's not particularly cool. If you want to use it commercially for some reason, get in touch with us.

If you spot a bug or error, and find a fix, please reply in this thread and let us know, or post the changes you made. If you're going to distribute the changed version, it is expected that you share the change made by contacting us, or posting it here.

Finally, don't be a douche - don't rip this off or call it your own, and leave all headers and comments identifying the origin of the code in place. Don't rename this to match your ROM or "team" name - it's not cool, and it's not yours to go and adjust. I chose to make this a readable "plain" script, but can easily obfuscate and encrypt it if you want to be a douche.

Copyright VillainROM (2011). All rights reserved

The actual download is on the way :)