[GUIDE] Proper FULL wipe

Search This thread

bwcorvus

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 15, 2010
Any rom worth a dam will have the system and boot wipe in the script.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

Last edited:
Reactions: AngelosDracul

jameswerk

Aug 23, 2011
Pensacola, FL
In the past I have always performed these steps in this order:

wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
in advanced: wipe dalvik cache
in mounts and storage: format /system /data /cache /boot

vs

wipe data/factory reset
format /system
format /boot

Have I been duplicating processes that are accomplished with just these three steps? How important is the order of the steps?

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
In the past I have always performed these steps in this order:

wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
in advanced: wipe dalvik cache
in mounts and storage: format /system /data /cache /boot

vs

wipe data/factory reset
format /system
format /boot

Have I been duplicating processes that are accomplished with just these three steps? How important is the order of the steps?

Yes you have been. Cache and dalvik are wiped during the factory reset option. The order of these steps are important but what you've been doing so far is correct outside the duplicated steps.

Reactions: jameswerk

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
does the ROM Manager app perform these steps before flashing a new ROM?

No not by default. Its up to the developer of the ROM to clean what they think should be cleaned. However, many, including CyanogenMod do not. I actually believe its bad practice since this step doesn't need to be performed unless you are beta testing roms.

Greenthy

Dec 31, 2010
Perhaps it's common knowledge for the more expert XDA users, but alot of us just barely got the fundamentels of flashing roms.

For that I'd love to know the proper wiping needed to flashing a rom/kernel :)
(It's always different in different guides)

Basicly this full wipe is the best for flashing a rom?

v3rk

Jul 23, 2010
Well, it IS common knowledge that 90% of issues posted about in development threads are related to improper flashing methods. I guess it makes sense to keep that going strong.

Thanks allgamer! You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

punwik

Jan 9, 2011
Dallas
I have used the fullwipe.zip on my nexus s 4g but will it work on my epic 4g touch?

Im sorry I meant the Wipe--all.zip

Last edited:

jesusice

Dec 22, 2010
Bumping this because more and more I see that this is NOT "common knowledge" lol.

I also changed my signature to try and alleviate the problem :)

*if you didn't wipe /system and /boot it is NOT A FULL WIPE*

timby

Sep 8, 2011
Toronto
This is definitely not common knowledge. Thank you for the post.

Most instructions I see are to do the following (with some slight variations):

Wipe Data/factory reset
Wipe Cache
Wipe Dalvik-Cache

Many of the custom roms that I've seen don't do a "full wipe", such as the current version CheckROM.

Here's another opinion on the correct way to do a full wipe:
http://checkrom.com/threads/full-wipe-the-correct-way.432/

There are similarities between the instructions here and the instructions from spider (both format /system), but there are differences. obsanity, what do you think of spider's method?

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Just to confirm, the /efs partition is safe unless you were to do something silly like "format /efs", right?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know this is not a development thread but I must insist we have something like this in this area. I would ask a mod to keep this sticky or maybe link to it from another sticky thread. I feel it's important to all development for accurate results and debug information.

I see this all the time. People think they are fully wiping when a developer asks for it. I believe that some people still don't understand what a full wipe is because there is no such single option in ClockWorkMod Recovery. Most likely the reason for that is because Koush didn't want too many posts about "I'm stuck on Google logo" or "my phone won't boot". So here is a test you can do yourself: Backup your ROM of course, and then do a full wipe. Then don't install anything and just reboot. If you end up pass the Google logo and onto the boot loop screen, then what you think is a full wipe is incorrect. If you are stuck on the Google logo and nothing is happening however, then congratulations... you know what you're doing :)

For the rest of you, here are proper steps to fully wipe without leaving any trace of ROM on your phone:

• wipe data/factory reset
    • format /system
    • format /boot

Now most people think that the first option is enough. That may often be the case but because the developer can drastically change the contents of the /system folder, things can get messed up if you don't format it. And guess what, that first option will not do it. Wipe data/factory reset only wipes the /data folder which contains your personal settings and all the apps you installed. The ROM is then left blank as if you just flashed it and you can start over. FYI, the format of boot partition simply wipes the boot animation and you can restore it using the advance option in recovery from ROM to another.

I've seen some zip files which do this automatically so that's fine but at least you know what needs to be done to fully wipe.

There you go. I hope this clears some things. Now lets flash some ROMs! :D
    How do you format /system and /boot? I'm using TWRP recovery 2.3.3.0

In TWRP 2.3.3

Dalvik, Factory Reset (includes Data, Cache), System, Android Secure
    :cyclops:
    all we need is a zip that does all of that and were good!!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA App
    Sticky please!
    Proper way with TWRP

http://teamw.in/whattowipe

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app