Possibly Bricked? I'm an idiot.

Search This thread

sicembaylor

Dec 7, 2012
I believe I may have bricked my Fire HD 7". I decided to flash a new ROM. Something I've done many many times. However, this time I decided to wipe the SD card because I wanted to get rid of all the app folders, my documents, music, etc. and start from a clean state. The problem is that it occurred to me half a second after the wipe that the ROM zip as well as the backup were on the internal SD.

So now I'm in TWRP trying to mount the device, but Windows (8.1) will not recognize the internal storage and mount it as a drive. I have the latest drivers installed but nothing...

It seems I have no way of getting a new ROM onto the internal SD card so that I can flash as normal. Help?

SafinWasi

Dec 15, 2013
Unknown
I believe I may have bricked my Fire HD 7". I decided to flash a new ROM. Something I've done many many times. However, this time I decided to wipe the SD card because I wanted to get rid of all the app folders, my documents, music, etc. and start from a clean state. The problem is that it occurred to me half a second after the wipe that the ROM zip as well as the backup were on the internal SD.

So now I'm in TWRP trying to mount the device, but Windows (8.1) will not recognize the internal storage and mount it as a drive. I have the latest drivers installed but nothing...

It seems I have no way of getting a new ROM onto the internal SD card so that I can flash as normal. Help?

Use a Linux distro live CD to side load the ROM.

Sent from my device running CyanogenMod 11

sicembaylor

Dec 7, 2012
Figured out the solution. Neither Windows nor Linux would mount the device, so that I could transfer the ROM to internal storage the easy way. What worked was using ADB sideload. Now I'm relieved! For anyone else having this issue or a similar issue because they had a brain fart and wiped the internal storage AFTER wiping the ROM -- this is the solution to the problem. Use ADB sideload in TWRP.

chiph72

Nov 20, 2013
So what are the steps

Figured out the solution. Neither Windows nor Linux would mount the device, so that I could transfer the ROM to internal storage the easy way. What worked was using ADB sideload. Now I'm relieved! For anyone else having this issue or a similar issue because they had a brain fart and wiped the internal storage AFTER wiping the ROM -- this is the solution to the problem. Use ADB sideload in TWRP.

I'm in the exact same situation you were in (pre-brain fart) - I want to get a "fresh start" with my kindle. What are the steps I should take? I see in TWRP that I can wipe Dalvik, Data, Internal Storage, Cache and System.

I'm guessing I should wipe System, Cache, Dalvik, Flash the ROM, flash gapps, then wipe data/internal storage -- does this sound right?

Thanks

Rushead

May 18, 2012
L.A., CA
I'm in the exact same situation you were in (pre-brain fart) - I want to get a "fresh start" with my kindle. What are the steps I should take? I see in TWRP that I can wipe Dalvik, Data, Internal Storage, Cache and System.

I'm guessing I should wipe System, Cache, Dalvik, Flash the ROM, flash gapps, then wipe data/internal storage -- does this sound right?

Thanks
No need to wipe internal storage.

Rushead

May 18, 2012
L.A., CA
You can wipe internal if you want to, but be sure you can adb push your rom. I don't like to do this b/c it leaves you no backup plan. Besides, "fresh start" is mostly placebo imo.