[Guide]Install CM9 or CM7.2

Search This thread

ridder215215

Dec 19, 2011
Leiden
Hey there!

I will explain how to install Cyanogenmod 9 OR 7(the FXP ones), found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1447542, and here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1780322
You will need an unlocked bootloader, and the nessecary files to get into fastboot etc. This is not covered in my tutorial. You will have to find someone else's tutorial for that.
I made a step-by-step tutorial.
For CM10, you need a custom recovery beforehand.
If you want to install CM10, you need to flash the kernel last. (Do steps 4 - 7 after 12. Manually reboot in step 8, and instead of pressing reboot during step 12, power off and flash the kernel (step 4 - 7)

1. Make sure you have all the drivers installed, made a nandroid backup (only if you already have a custom kernel installed, if not, you can skip this) and have an usb cable, usb port (preferably no hub) and your phone near you.

2. Download the CM10/CM9/CM7 rom from their respective threads.

3. Open (don't extract!) it with WinRAR or your program of choice. Copy the boot.img to the folder your fastboot.exe is in (for me, this is C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools). Then, put the zip file on your phones memory card.

3.5 (optional) Also download the Gapps (Google Play etc.) suited for your rom of choice and put the zip file on your memory card. I strongly advise you to install this.

4. Put your phone in fastboot mode (hold the search key while connecting it to your pc using the usb cable. The notification light should light up blue. When it's blue, you can release the search key.

4.5 Read steps 5-7 carefully. I have made a .bat file that will do this for you. If you choose to use it, place it in the same folder as your boot.img, and then launch. This won't work if you have renamed the boot.img. If you don't trust this, you can right-click it and hit edit. This way you'll see it says exactly the same as steps 6 and 7. Feel free to do it manually though. http://www.2shared.com/file/fPzWv4of/Flash_kernel.html

5. I assume you have Windows Vista or 7. If you do, shift-click on a empty place in your fastboot folder and click "open command prompt here" or something similar (my Windows version is Dutch, so I don't know what it's called in English).

6. Flash the kernel using this command: fastboot -i 0xfce flash boot boot.img. Note: it might be 0x0fce

7. Reboot the phone using this command: fastboot -i 0xfce reboot. Same for this one

8. While the phone is rebooting, spam the volume down key. You will now go into a recovery. Use the volume keys to navigate, and the home key to select (unless instructed otherwise on the recovery's thread). (You can now unplug the cable, but it can't hurt to keep it plugged in) If you haven't already, make a backup under "backup and restore".

9. Press wipe data/factory reset (this will of course wipe your data. Don't worry, we made a backup, remember? Note that restoring this backup will also restore your rom. Use Titanium Backup to back up your apps (requires root)). After that, also wipe your cache and Dalvik cache.

10. Select "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard". Navigate to the zip you put on the sdcard during step 3. It will now install the rom.

11. (optional) Also install the Gapps, same way as the rom itself.

12. After you finished installing, press reboot system now, and it will boot Cyanogenmod.

Congratulations, you just installed Cyanogenmod!

If I made any mistakes, please let me know.

I am not responsible for any bricked phones, broken GPU's, force-closes and killed pets.

If this helped you, I would appreciate a "thanks".
Good luck!

Ridder

(If you want others to be able to use this guide, leave a comment. This will bump it up =))

Last edited:

savage24x

Jul 5, 2011
I thought it was 0x0fce? -I 0x0fce is not necessary either.

Sent from my R800x using XDA

lightningdude

Oct 9, 2010
I thought it was 0x0fce? -I 0x0fce is not necessary either.

Sent from my R800x using XDA

You're right about the command correction, but I've been told that on some machines, that command is necessary to communicate with the phone correctly. So it's not that it's not necessary across the board, but it's not necessary for you. Nor is it necessary for me.

Xperia4life

Apr 2, 2012
Hitchin
um can someone enlighten me why this is posted when there have been multiple other guides if you use the search button? sorry if i miss understood :p

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend
Just an FYI, I linked to this thread, because it is the most comprehensive install guide for CM9,

Thanks!

cj360

Oct 24, 2011
You could add instead of booting the phone and then entering cwm just boot in cwm with fastboot and booting the rom. Guess it really doesn't matter now that almost all kernels have included recovery.

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
Thanks for the guide, ridder!

Regarding the flashing of the kernel, can a kernel (pax's modified boot.img in my case) be flashed using either Fastboot or FlashTool?

Last edited:
D

DennisDroid

I have to say that im very happy with my actual setup :)

A2SD Amarullz dont work for me on stock rom :eek: so i have decided to go to CM7

i have 4GB of Internal Memory and this is enough for me ... My CM7 look like stock and i have install PS Pocket/LiveWallpaper/Stock Games and Widgets + Timescape, i can say its like CM7 Hybrid

paulle

Nov 1, 2010
hey Ridder,

thank you for your guide it was very helpful for me, without it i don't know if was able to flash the cell phone of my wife. good work!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey there!

I will explain how to install Cyanogenmod 9 OR 7(the FXP ones), found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1447542, and here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1780322
    You will need an unlocked bootloader, and the nessecary files to get into fastboot etc. This is not covered in my tutorial. You will have to find someone else's tutorial for that.
    I made a step-by-step tutorial.
    For CM10, you need a custom recovery beforehand.
    If you want to install CM10, you need to flash the kernel last. (Do steps 4 - 7 after 12. Manually reboot in step 8, and instead of pressing reboot during step 12, power off and flash the kernel (step 4 - 7)

1. Make sure you have all the drivers installed, made a nandroid backup (only if you already have a custom kernel installed, if not, you can skip this) and have an usb cable, usb port (preferably no hub) and your phone near you.

2. Download the CM10/CM9/CM7 rom from their respective threads.

3. Open (don't extract!) it with WinRAR or your program of choice. Copy the boot.img to the folder your fastboot.exe is in (for me, this is C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools). Then, put the zip file on your phones memory card.

3.5 (optional) Also download the Gapps (Google Play etc.) suited for your rom of choice and put the zip file on your memory card. I strongly advise you to install this.

4. Put your phone in fastboot mode (hold the search key while connecting it to your pc using the usb cable. The notification light should light up blue. When it's blue, you can release the search key.

4.5 Read steps 5-7 carefully. I have made a .bat file that will do this for you. If you choose to use it, place it in the same folder as your boot.img, and then launch. This won't work if you have renamed the boot.img. If you don't trust this, you can right-click it and hit edit. This way you'll see it says exactly the same as steps 6 and 7. Feel free to do it manually though. http://www.2shared.com/file/fPzWv4of/Flash_kernel.html

5. I assume you have Windows Vista or 7. If you do, shift-click on a empty place in your fastboot folder and click "open command prompt here" or something similar (my Windows version is Dutch, so I don't know what it's called in English).

6. Flash the kernel using this command: fastboot -i 0xfce flash boot boot.img. Note: it might be 0x0fce

7. Reboot the phone using this command: fastboot -i 0xfce reboot. Same for this one

8. While the phone is rebooting, spam the volume down key. You will now go into a recovery. Use the volume keys to navigate, and the home key to select (unless instructed otherwise on the recovery's thread). (You can now unplug the cable, but it can't hurt to keep it plugged in) If you haven't already, make a backup under "backup and restore".

9. Press wipe data/factory reset (this will of course wipe your data. Don't worry, we made a backup, remember? Note that restoring this backup will also restore your rom. Use Titanium Backup to back up your apps (requires root)). After that, also wipe your cache and Dalvik cache.

10. Select "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard". Navigate to the zip you put on the sdcard during step 3. It will now install the rom.

11. (optional) Also install the Gapps, same way as the rom itself.

12. After you finished installing, press reboot system now, and it will boot Cyanogenmod.

Congratulations, you just installed Cyanogenmod!

If I made any mistakes, please let me know.

I am not responsible for any bricked phones, broken GPU's, force-closes and killed pets.

If this helped you, I would appreciate a "thanks".
    Good luck!

Ridder

(If you want others to be able to use this guide, leave a comment. This will bump it up =))
    um can someone enlighten me why this is posted when there have been multiple other guides if you use the search button? sorry if i miss understood :p

Because the other guides are imo not very clear. Mine says exactly when to press/release buttons, how things work (CWM recovery) etc. That's why I made this.
    Thanks for the guide, riddler!

Regarding the flashing of the kernel, can a kernel (pax's modified boot.img in my case) be flashed using either Fastboot or FlashTool?

Well, to be honest, I don't have any experience with FlashTool for kernels. Fastboot does what it needs for me.
    Oh well, it works for me so.. I copy-paste it anyway.
    0x0fce is the same as 0xfce in hex iirc ;)

Sent from my Dark R800i using Tapatalk 2