Real issues trying to install a custom ROM (Cyanogenmod, etc...)

Search This thread

zim_zimmer

Apr 22, 2005
I have a real issue trying to install any zip files for ROMS.

At first I thought it was just the file I had downloaded so I downloaded another, and another, and another through a different browser (as I had read this might be an issue?).

Still nothing worked. I've put some screenshots below of what I am getting.

MFIHKIH.jpg

Then I flashed a newer version of CWM (from the Cyanogenmod thread) and got this...

0oHV5BT.jpg

These are all stored on my external SD card which is where I am trying to boot from. The weird thing is that I can install the Alliance ROM but no others! I'm not sure whether its something to do with the Alliance one being a 4.3 ROM and the others all based around 4.4??

7NJxpni.jpg

I really am out of ideas and can't find any solutions that seem to work, please can anyone help?

zim_zimmer

Apr 22, 2005
Thanks.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by your first sentence but I will try Philz Recovery as well.

zim_zimmer

Apr 22, 2005
I've just flashed Philz Recovery but still no joy :(

I tried installing CM and OmniRom which was stored on the phone, and then also from the SD card but its still giving me the same messages?

RgTRG0p.jpg

VQHwQyg.jpg

I really am at a loose end here, I'm hoping there is a simple explanation for this????

Last edited:

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Simple explanation reads as faulty zip files .
message says cannot open .

First sentence you did not have a custom recovery only stock recovery on image one .

Suggest format phone in recovery format sdcard system data cache then boot to download mode and flash stock rom .

With 63 posts you can ask in your roms thread or its Q&A thread ,

Andr3y29

Jan 31, 2013
Buzau
I see that you installed Philz Touch 5. Try latest 6.12.8: http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/i9300 > This is based on CM11 tree, so it will work only with ROMs that hve the update binary from a CM11 ROM. So it will work with the stock CM11 you are trying to use. Try before you flash the ZIP to search it with ES File Explorer. If it appears the files inside it, than it should be OK. If it shows an error message saying that it is not a ZIP, you hve to download it again, because the file is not good. You have here:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2201860 some other issues and how to fix them. Hope I helped you.

zimonyini

Aug 25, 2013
I have to agree, go back to full stock, the modify the phone step by step. Root-cwm-custom rom

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app

zim_zimmer

Apr 22, 2005
Thanks for your replies guys.

This is odd, but I now have CM11 on my S3 LTE.

After installing Philz Recovery, I then reverted back to the latest version of CWM and tried to re run the file and this time it ran! I have no idea what was going on there?

Just in case this whole thing happens again if I want to flash an alternative ROM... What are the steps for returning the phone to a factory 'stock' state?

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Thanks for your replies guys.

This is odd, but I now have CM11 on my S3 LTE.

After installing Philz Recovery, I then reverted back to the latest version of CWM and tried to re run the file and this time it ran! I have no idea what was going on there?

Just in case this whole thing happens again if I want to flash an alternative ROM... What are the steps for returning the phone to a factory 'stock' state?

See the sticky in General .