[GUIDE] T-Mobile G2 2.3.4 official OTA manual update

Search This thread

jorenko

Jul 31, 2010
There still seem to be a few people with problems so I thought I'd try to collect the steps and add a bit more info:

Notes

- So far this is only confirmed to work on full stock 2.2. For the leaked 2.3.3 you'll need to downgrade first; see this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1180733&highlight=temp+root+downgrade
- The only confirmed root so far requires s-off BEFORE you follow this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1206930
- I have had no reports of anyone doing this with anything other than 100% stock recovery, hboot, etc. Please let me know if you do try and what happens; I'll update this post.
- Following this procedure will not wipe your apps or your data.

Steps

1. Download http://android.clients.google.com/p...MOUS_2.15.531.3-1.22.531.8_release_197463.zip and rename to update.zip. Turn off 'Hide extensions for known file types' and make sure it's not update.zip.zip!
2. To verify your download didn't get corrupted, check its md5sum. It should match 3c7b0c2253f72f86b06d2c85b2c8c294 (you can get a dos tool to do this here: http://etree.org/md5com.html. Run cmd.exe and type md5sum.exe update.zip from a folder that contains both files) If your result doesn't match, download again.
3. Place update.zip on the root of your SD card, not in any folders.
4. Power down your phone.
5. Press and hold both VOLUME DOWN and POWER until you get a menu
6. You may not be able to navigate the menu yet. Wait for 10-15 seconds until it says it's checking some files, then automatically returns to the menu. Now you can use VOLUME UP/DOWN to choose menu options.
7. Choose Recovery from the menu by highlighting with VOLUME UP/DOWN and pressing POWER.
8. Wait until you get a picture of a phone with a red triangle and !
9. Press & hold VOLUME UP, wait one second, then also press POWER. You should get a menu with blue text.
10. You will see "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command" at the bottom of the screen. This is OK!
11. Again with VOLUME UP/DOWN and POWER, select "Apply sdcard:update.zip"
12. From this point, just wait until it tells you to reboot and choose that menu option. If you get any errors here, consult the troubleshooting below.
13. There are several more automatic reboots and wait screens to go. Be patient!

Troubleshooting

- "E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such filler or directory)" - your file isn't named update.zip! Reboot your phone and use Astro or another file manager to make sure you've got the name right.
- "E:failed to seek in /sdcard/update.zip (Invalid argument)" - your download probably got corrupted! Check the md5sum again, redownload, and try again!
- "assertfailed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == tmobile/htc_vision/vision/vision:2.2/FRF91/277427:user/release-keys"" - you probably don't have the latest 2.2 that this update is designed to replace. You might be on 2.3.3 or possibly the original pre-wifi-calling 2.2. To fix this, downgrade from 2.3.3 or wait for the OTA to get the newer 2.2.

Last edited:

russell5

Apr 6, 2010
Thank you for the link I'm updating my wife's phone tonight

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

leech1980

Aug 29, 2006
Well I would wait until someone makes a rooted version of this, I don't think you want to loose root over an update that is kind of outdated compared to Cyanogenmod.

I don't mind losing root. I'm running stock 2.2 with s-off and clockworkmod. I just want the update to work.

The instructions above don't work for me. When I attempt an update in clockworkmod I get an error "(Status 7) installation aborted", something like that.

C

Cimer

That's because it's not meant for clockworkmod yet. You can follow his instructions, loose root and be updated, or just wait a little until someone makes a rooted version and just flash it via clockworkmod.

leech1980

Aug 29, 2006
That's because it's not meant for clockworkmod yet. You can follow his instructions, loose root and be updated, or just wait a little until someone makes a rooted version and just flash it via clockworkmod.

Following his instructions, I get to clockworkmod recovery after step 7. I then choose update from .zip and get an error message.

heathenasparagus

Aug 4, 2011
attempted this with Indian HTC Desire Z and official htc update from another user with Canadian HTC Desire Z.

Getting the error: "Invalid Operation"

Why do I have an Indian HTC Desire Z ? Amazon told me it was American. I didn't know better.
How did I get the Canadian update ? A friend kept a copy of the file when he was updating his.

Ideas ?

ghyson

Sep 11, 2009
I get the following output:

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Copying fotaBoot to /data/system for customize reload...
Verifying current system...
assert failed:apply_patch_check("/system/bin/dnsmasq", "0ca7c8c9c5d267665622497df4c67dec65166adb", "1d717ab5c2bfc75d16bf6a9ec7936158cdc65aef")
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

mmafighter121

Jan 28, 2011
Received the following error:

assertfailed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == tmobile/htc_vision/vision/vision:2.2/FRF91/277427:user/release-keys"

and a bunch of other gobbletygook...ending with
E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted

mmafighter121

Jan 28, 2011
no - i don't have clockwork or any mods at all.. I think I screwed up the downgrade slightly, anyhow, what happened was shortly after posting this i got an OTA update that updated my system - but it didn't update it to 2.3.4 just to a newer 2.2 evidently. THEN I was able to use the update file and force it so now I have 2.3.4! (albeit still without my apps..)

xsteven77x

Jul 2, 2010
Pittsburgh
All i know is some devs need to rip this stuff apart and get to cooking up some CM type features into it and it's my new daily driver :)

CapinWinky

Mar 9, 2011
Will this work with clockworkmod recovery?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

It looks like you can't use a custom recovery to apply this update. It likely tries to verify the recovery image. You could open the update up and remove the file version verification, and various other things to prevent it from taking away your S-Off and SuperCID. You would then HAVE to apply it with a custom recovery with signature verification off.

A quick look in the firmware.zip portion of the update and you find this in an info file:
modelid: PC1010000
cidnum: T-MOB010
mainver: 2.15.531.3
hbootpreupdate:12

As well as hboot_7230_Vision_GEP_0.82.0008_110413.nb0

I don't know if that info file actually does anything, but I would still start with changing cidnum to 11111111.

The real meat of what is going on is in the Meta-inf folder, that is what handles copy files and performing updates. You can simply remove things you don't want updated. If modified correctly, you could then apply a superuser su.zip before rebooting and keep root with your update.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough to trust my own handywork. Maybe some people more familiar with the innards of Anroid could help out the Vision/G2 community?

CapinWinky

Mar 9, 2011
The more I look at it, the more it seems like you could just delete the recovery.img (or replace it with clockworkrecovery) from the firmware.zip and delete the assert(apply_patch_check crap from the updater-script in META-INF\com\google\android and apply the modified update.zip with clockworkrecovery (signature verification off).

You could then apply an su.zip before rebooting and you should come back up with custom recovery at least, if not root also.

No one do this just yet. Surely someone from the N1 community can guide us as to how to chop up the update.zip

butch81385

Nov 6, 2010
Installed successfully on my stock 2.2 G2. Thanks! Was getting tired of constantly checking my phone to see if I had gotten the OTA update yet!

reggiedarden

Jun 18, 2010
Reno, NV
Well just ran this on my roomie's stock phone. Fingers crossed.........

As soon as I posted this the phone booted up. So far so good. Thanks, I was beginning to think this phone was never going to get GB.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There still seem to be a few people with problems so I thought I'd try to collect the steps and add a bit more info:

Notes

- So far this is only confirmed to work on full stock 2.2. For the leaked 2.3.3 you'll need to downgrade first; see this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1180733&highlight=temp+root+downgrade
    - The only confirmed root so far requires s-off BEFORE you follow this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1206930
    - I have had no reports of anyone doing this with anything other than 100% stock recovery, hboot, etc. Please let me know if you do try and what happens; I'll update this post.
    - Following this procedure will not wipe your apps or your data.

Steps

1. Download http://android.clients.google.com/p...MOUS_2.15.531.3-1.22.531.8_release_197463.zip and rename to update.zip. Turn off 'Hide extensions for known file types' and make sure it's not update.zip.zip!
    2. To verify your download didn't get corrupted, check its md5sum. It should match 3c7b0c2253f72f86b06d2c85b2c8c294 (you can get a dos tool to do this here: http://etree.org/md5com.html. Run cmd.exe and type md5sum.exe update.zip from a folder that contains both files) If your result doesn't match, download again.
    3. Place update.zip on the root of your SD card, not in any folders.
    4. Power down your phone.
    5. Press and hold both VOLUME DOWN and POWER until you get a menu
    6. You may not be able to navigate the menu yet. Wait for 10-15 seconds until it says it's checking some files, then automatically returns to the menu. Now you can use VOLUME UP/DOWN to choose menu options.
    7. Choose Recovery from the menu by highlighting with VOLUME UP/DOWN and pressing POWER.
    8. Wait until you get a picture of a phone with a red triangle and !
    9. Press & hold VOLUME UP, wait one second, then also press POWER. You should get a menu with blue text.
    10. You will see "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command" at the bottom of the screen. This is OK!
    11. Again with VOLUME UP/DOWN and POWER, select "Apply sdcard:update.zip"
    12. From this point, just wait until it tells you to reboot and choose that menu option. If you get any errors here, consult the troubleshooting below.
    13. There are several more automatic reboots and wait screens to go. Be patient!

Troubleshooting

- "E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such filler or directory)" - your file isn't named update.zip! Reboot your phone and use Astro or another file manager to make sure you've got the name right.
    - "E:failed to seek in /sdcard/update.zip (Invalid argument)" - your download probably got corrupted! Check the md5sum again, redownload, and try again!
    - "assertfailed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == tmobile/htc_vision/vision/vision:2.2/FRF91/277427:user/release-keys"" - you probably don't have the latest 2.2 that this update is designed to replace. You might be on 2.3.3 or possibly the original pre-wifi-calling 2.2. To fix this, downgrade from 2.3.3 or wait for the OTA to get the newer 2.2.
    Where exactly was this file obtained from?

hi is this the same one that is being sent out by tmobile ?

The download link is a direct link to the real upgrade file on google's servers.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App
    the differences were subtle at first, but i'm starting to LOVE 2.3.4.