Change Your Screen Resolution on HTC Evo 4g

Search This thread

jonathaflores

Apr 12, 2010
philadelphia
In this post I'd like to share a small bit of Android information with you. I've discovered it while looking around at the build.prop file and did some research on it, and it turns out to be a pretty cool and powerful feature. Of course, seeing as this requires root you can probably already guess that it involves some more-than-consumer level risk, so anything you do here is your responsibility. This is not a tweak for a fairly novice user. You will need some basic knowledge on command line terminal and how to copy/edit files. I will be assuming you know how to setup and run ADB, and how to execute it and work with it in command prompt.

What's this mod do? Basically it changes your resolution (not really, but for simplicity sake we'll say it does) to a higher pixel density. What this means is everything on your screen will look smaller as if you changed your resolution on your PC to a higher setting. Now obviously we don't want to increase this too much or it will make our screen look bad and be impossible to read things, so I recommend you stick with the settings I have and only tweak it if you're daring.

Now for setup:

1: You require root access for this to work, so make sure you have it prior to doing anything else.

2: Next you will need to get your build.prop file from the /system directory. An easy (and free) way to do this is to use Astro file manager. Open up Astro, navigate to /system/ and copy the build.prop file to the sdcard.

3: Hook the phone up to your PC and enter USB Mass Storage mode. Open the drive on your computer and copy the build.prop file to the desktop.

4: IMPORTANT: make a second copy of this file, and rename it to: build.prop.BAK - accept the change to filetype and leave it alone for now.

5: Open up build.prop using notepad. Once its open you'll see a whole ton of text assuming you have Word Wrap enabled. Press Control + F and type in "density" then press enter.

6: Close out the search menu and find the number "240" to the right of "density"

7: Change the number from 240 to 200. Save the file and close notepad. (Note - higher numbers means bigger text/objects, smaller numbers means smaller text/objects allowing you to fit more on the screen)

8: Put your phone back into PC Mode, and then enable USB Debugging in Settings->Applications->Development

9: At this point I assume you have ADB setup on your PC. Copy and paste the modified build.prop file into the folder with ADB, and then open up a command prompt, change directory to wherever you have ADB installed (ex: cd C:\adb\ ), and type in "adb devices" without the quotes to start ADB and make sure your device is configured properly

10: Now you must push the modified build.prop file to your sdcard. To do so type this in:

adb push build.prop /sdcard/build.prop

11: You should see the text indicating it successfully transferred the file. Now type in "adb shell" without quotes. You should see a $: appear. Once it does, type in "su" and it should change to a #: sign.

12: Now that you're in root access, you must mount /system as read/write to copy over the new build.prop file. To do so type this in exactly as it is, making sure to not skip any spaces or use wrong letters/characters:

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/system /system

You should see the line repeated and that means it went ok. If you get anything else like an error, somethings not right with the text you entered. Go back and double check it.

13: Now we'll copy the file from the sdcard to the system directory to overwrite the old build.prop file:

cp /sdcard/build.prop /system/build.prop

Again, you should see the line repeat below to confirm it copied it successfully. You can now reboot the phone to make the changes happen (note: for a speedy reboot, simply type in "reboot" from the #: prompt, this will drop you out of root shell and do an automatic reboot of your phone pretty neat)

Once your phone is booted back up you should notice some pretty significant changes in appearance. Everything will look smaller much akin to the changes you see on your desktop PC when you increase the resolution from say 800x600 to 1600x1200. In case you want to change it back to the old look, simply re-trace your steps using the original build.prop file, with the pixel density set to 240 instead of 200.

Screenshots for comparison. Note how lines of text are fully exposed in the new screenshots compared to the old ones, where it has to scroll/cut off text in App names etc:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-x-roms-hacks/32035-how-resolution-tweak-req-root.html

Attachments

• snap20100831185102.jpg
    snap20100831185102.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 3,353
  • snap20100831185912.jpg
    snap20100831185912.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 3,054
Last edited:

Tilde88

Nov 5, 2008
Shouldn't this be in general? This is like dpi in windows lol... not resolution

bdoople

Jul 23, 2010
Just changed to 200 with the aforementioned app, the only problem I have is the main status bar and most of the popup menus and stuff look like crap. Hoping we can find some higher resolution (or whatever) pieces to use. Might be because I'm using Manup's theme.

ms79723

Jul 2, 2010
Just changed to 200 with the aforementioned app, the only problem I have is the main status bar and most of the popup menus and stuff look like crap. Hoping we can find some higher resolution (or whatever) pieces to use. Might be because I'm using Manup's theme.

i noticed that too....so i just went to like 215. 200 was looking good though

scottspa74

Apr 3, 2009
everett
Google Pixel 6
ro.sf.LCD_Density=240

Is that the proper value to change in root explorer?

Right below it, there is another value of 160, that's why I ask. I'm on an Evo

Poor resolution has always bugged me. On such a big screen, that number of pixels really isn't enough. This will be a great mod, just don't wanna mess it up.

Thanks.

TheMike1

Jun 15, 2010
ro.sf.LCD_Density=240

Is that the proper value to change in root explorer?

Right below it, there is another value of 160, that's why I ask. I'm on an Evo

Poor resolution has always bugged me. On such a big screen, that number of pixels really isn't enough. This will be a great mod, just don't wanna mess it up.

Thanks.

The line below it (With the value of 160) has a # in front of it as that is the default value if none specified. Change the 240 to 200 or 220 or 210 or 190 etc depending on your preferences. Again, appelflap has an awesome application to easily do this for you and it provides a boot monitor as well that will check to make sure you can see the screen, and if you can't it will revert back to default setting in case you mess something up. It costs approximately $1 and is well worth it.

jadoe05

Jul 29, 2008
On my evo I am using the app and I set mine to 180. Everything looks fine so far. I don't recommend using it with the sense launcher at this level though.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

scottspa74

Apr 3, 2009
everett
Google Pixel 6
Appreciate all the feedback. When it comes to system tweaks like this, I've always preferred to do them manually. Makes it easier to keep track of changes, and, if you know what's goin on 'behind the scenes'. Even with winmo, I always would opt for tweaking via registry editor, rather than some blind, hands-off tweak app.

Thanks all, though.

Edit: ok, foot in mouth. So I opened root explorer, found build.prop, opened it clicked the mount R/O toggle, but can't seem to edit it no matter what. NVM, found editor
Also, I checked out the app on the market, looked at comments and saw lots of people say that density broke certain apps, and can't get back to normal, broken phones, blah blah blah

Anyone speak to this?

Last edited:

stumck

Aug 2, 2010
Exposes lame apps

Worked great on rooted EVO running CM6.2.

Need to increase the power of my bifocals now!

Also exposes lame apps that display set screen resolutions, such as WeatherChannel. Poopnoodles!

scriptx

Jan 9, 2008
Very cool find, not one I will be keeping though. The taskbar icons get a bit blurry, and the widget/icon spacing looks ugly.

thenags

Jul 2, 2010
S. Florida
www.the-nags.com
Last edited:

scottspa74

Apr 3, 2009
everett
Google Pixel 6
yeah

Yeah, I read the thread by Appleflap, about his app, and it really sounds like there are a lot of issues from doing this (at this point), some of which cannot be recovered from. And at the very least, there are apps and icons that won't scale properly, and there's no fix for that but to find new ones (from the horses mouth).

Things to be worked out by some real sharp devs.

randymac88

Aug 30, 2007
I'm not totally convinced that this makes things anything beyond just smaller. I've been testing this a various resolutions and am not sure it really adds any new pixels...aren't "pixels" more hardware related? If it were just a software thing wouldn't everyone do it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I set my density to 210 (from 240) and OMG what a difference! It just looks so sexy! I'm about to set to 205 to see if it looks any better, because 200 was way too small. Everyone should do it!