OmniROM Gerrit Review

Disclaimer

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.
 */

Important Information
Root access has not been incorporated into the ROM source yet, so you will need to flash SuperSU in recovery SuperSU

For all you Do-It-Yourself-ers, simply follow this guide to initialize a build environment and get your own builds started - OmniROM - Setting Up A Compile Environment

Got a bug report? Want to request a feature?
jira.omnirom.org

Installation Instructions
FROM ANOTHER ROMS
Factory Reset/Wipe Data
Format System
Format Dalvik Cache
Install ROM
Install Gapps
Reboot
Profit

UPDATE FROM OMNIROM TO NEWER RELEASE
Settings -> System Updates -> Check for update
You will NOT need to wipe anything with the delta updates :good:​

Downloads

Contributors/Credit
  • The OmniROM Team - Great devs that have taught me just about everything I know about this stuff in such a short amount of time
  • CyanogenMod
  • ParanoidAndroid for the GApps package
  • @jumoog for working with me on the jf family of devices (MOAR Galaxay S4's to be supported soon!)
  • @SferaDev for ALL the work on adding Samsung RIL support
  • @CNexus for his awesome boot.img tools and helping me out
  • @Evisceration for his insane kernel pwnage
  • Testers
  • And anyone else I apologize I forgot on this list but thank you

Source
OmniROM Source

XDA:DevDB Information
OmniROM, a ROM for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
jakew02
ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
ROM Firmware Required: Rooted, Custom Recovery
Based On: AOSP

Version Information
Current Stable Version: -
Current Beta Version: -

Created 2013-10-28
Last Updated 2014-04-08

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 7,059
  • Screenshot_2013-12-07-10-02-29.png
    Screenshot_2013-12-07-10-02-29.png
    223.2 KB · Views: 5,136
Last edited:

Gandalf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
Q&A

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why don't I have root access after installing OmniROM?
A: OmniROM does not have an official, prebuilt root method yet, so you'll just need to flash SuperSU in recovery and you'll have 100% working root access. SuperSU can be found here: SuperSU

Q: Where is <insert feature here>, like CM/AOKP/PA/etc have??
A: Omni is still very early in development, but moving at an incredibly fast rate. New feature, bug fixes, and device support are added just about daily. Check it out here: OmniROM Gerrit Review for the latest and greatest

Q: How do I start/stop screen recording?
A: Volume UP + Power will start screen recording. Simply drag the notification bar down and click the button to stop.

Q: HALP NFC doesn't work!!
A: We know.

Last edited:

lauterm

Apr 9, 2011
I just wiped everything and installed it. I haven't found any issues yet, but I haven't even made any phone calls yet.

Thanks a ton for pulling this all together and sharing with the rest of us. I've been itching to try Omni.

EDIT: I made a phone call now! I haven't run across anything that doesn't work. Calls, texts, camera all work fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gandalf

toxicpaulution

Oct 27, 2011
Lykens
I'd love to try this but again what are the tweaks in this rom? What do they differ from others and what are the same?

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Gandalf

Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
I did load it up seems to run just fine, missing alot of features I like to use such as hardware keys (custom settings) which is the main thing and the general interface options so I'll wait for some future tweaks.

Custom hardware keys options are comnig very soon ;)

I just wiped everything and installed it. I haven't found any issues yet, but I haven't even made any phone calls yet.

Thanks a ton for pulling this all together and sharing with the rest of us. I've been itching to try Omni.

EDIT: I made a phone call now! I haven't run across anything that doesn't work. Calls, texts, camera all work fine.

I'd love to try this but again what are the tweaks in this rom? What do they differ from others and what are the same?

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Right now there are less than CyanogenMod, it is very close to stock AOSP at this point, but Gerrit review is overloaded with tons and tons of new features, theres at least one or so new features being merged in daily. Read the articles I posted in the OP for more information on that from the OmniROM team themselves, their philosophy, and future plans

Reactions: Lmetcalf

lauterm

Apr 9, 2011
It might be missing some extras, but this is a very solid ROM.

I've only found two minor issues that are probably upstream issues. The capacitive buttons never light up. I'm pretty sure that's a known Omni-wide issue. Secondly, I got root to work, but OpenVPN Installer still says it can't remount /system as rw. I even tried remounting it rw first in root explorer, but it just won't install the OpenVPN binary. I'm guessing that's related to root not being built in.

Battery life seems good given how much I've had the screen on (50% battery with over 2.5 hours of screen on).

Overall, great job, Jake!

Sent from my SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

LamboDroid19

Sep 17, 2010
Jakew02, I'm going to try to compile a build using your repos. Hopefully I can start trying to contribute a bit. I'm a total noob though.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gandalf

SeanHacker

Sep 7, 2010
Portland, Oregon
I'll send you a PM once i get it built. working on having it compile TWRP over CWM right now , after class i'll start working on jfltecan :good:

Huh? Recovery is NOT built into the kernel for this device. Its in a different partition of its own. There is no compiling TWRP over CMW for this device. Recovery needs to be compiled separately if you're trying to compile your own. Just look in the device repos. ;)

crzygrmn

Mar 25, 2010
Winnipeg
I'll send you a PM once i get it built. working on having it compile TWRP over CWM right now , after class i'll start working on jfltecan :good:

I'm on Canadian i337m and I would test it too.
Right now I'm just using t mobile or ge roms. To chicken to flash any thing att only.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

Gandalf

Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
Huh? Recovery is NOT built into the kernel for this device. Its in a different partition of its own. There is no compiling TWRP over CMW for this device. Recovery needs to be compiled separately if you're trying to compile your own. Just look in the device repos. ;)

Well, add TWRP configuration to the device tree then and confirm it still builds ;)

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dav0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Om.jpg

What is OmniROM?

OmniROM Gerrit Review

Disclaimer

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.
     */

Important Information
    Root access has not been incorporated into the ROM source yet, so you will need to flash SuperSU in recovery SuperSU

For all you Do-It-Yourself-ers, simply follow this guide to initialize a build environment and get your own builds started - OmniROM - Setting Up A Compile Environment

Got a bug report? Want to request a feature?
    jira.omnirom.org

Installation Instructions
    FROM ANOTHER ROMS
    Factory Reset/Wipe Data
    Format System
    Format Dalvik Cache
    Install ROM
    Install Gapps
    Reboot
    Profit

UPDATE FROM OMNIROM TO NEWER RELEASE
    Settings -> System Updates -> Check for update
    You will NOT need to wipe anything with the delta updates :good:​

Downloads

Contributors/Credit
    • The OmniROM Team - Great devs that have taught me just about everything I know about this stuff in such a short amount of time
    • CyanogenMod
    • ParanoidAndroid for the GApps package
    • @jumoog for working with me on the jf family of devices (MOAR Galaxay S4's to be supported soon!)
    • @SferaDev for ALL the work on adding Samsung RIL support
    • @CNexus for his awesome boot.img tools and helping me out
    • @Evisceration for his insane kernel pwnage
    • Testers
    • And anyone else I apologize I forgot on this list but thank you

Source
    OmniROM Source

XDA:DevDB Information
    OmniROM, a ROM for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
    jakew02
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Rooted, Custom Recovery
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: -
    Current Beta Version: -

Created 2013-10-28
    Last Updated 2014-04-08
    UPDATE
    so, after nearly 3 weeks of having broken camcorders, playback, etc. @jumoog , @Evisceration , @kejar31 and I have finally gotten just about everything resolved. The RIGHT way. :highfive: standby folks, shotgun builds are coming

TESTERS FOR jfltevzw jfltetmo jfltespr PM ME

Notice the changes in kernel_samsung_jf runs like butter :good:

Also note, the kernel that is flashed with this ROM now has controllable cpu voltage and is compatible with Faux SoundControl :good:

Changelog

Current Release 20131205
    Code:
    Add pin keypad shuffler
    Allow disabling non intrusive incall ui
    Prevent lock/unlock sound during music playback
    Fix screenrecord abort issues
    Fix GPS
    Fix sensors
    Set AdvancedReboot to be enabled by default
    MMS: ClassZeroActivity: Queue messages instead of displaying them all at once
    Performance Control has been COMPLETELY revamed thanks to [user=4833385]@Evisceration[/user] :good:
    Add support for Faux SoundControl
    Enable cpu voltage control
    TONS and TONS more kernel commits - look at gerrit/github if you want the specific details
    OP UPDATED - 20131201 - finally:fingers-crossed:
    Sorry for the long wait - there are problems with the Camcorder. We know a workaround, but I wanted to get everything working with omni source as-is. That is still not possible, so yes, this build is built with a workaround. But nonetheless, everything is working as it should be :good:

Be sure to check out the new incoming call interface, as well as the time context headers for notification panel! Everything is pretty much within settings and is able to be toggled on or off

ATT BUILD UP.
    CANADIAN BUILDING NOW.
    NEXT IN THIS ORDER:
    JFLTEVZW
    JFLTESPR
    JFLTETMO

Changelog:
    • MMS: Added Recipients Picker
    • Added support for jfltevzw, jfltetmo, and jfltespr
    • DSP Manager: Icon Updated
    • Lockscreen: Add timeout and instant lock option to slide lock
    • Fix Signal Bars only showing little signal
    • AudioEffects: Add center frequency param to bassboost
    • AudioEffects: Add a stereo widening effect
    • Fix APNs for jfltevzw, jfltetmo, jfltespr
    • Statusbar: Time and Date actions
    • Button brightness timeout support
    • Add more info while flashing - Makes the recovery output look nicer :good:
    • Signal strength fixed
    • Update to android 4.4 r1.2 tag
    • Enable CRDA service
    • Add custom hardware button mapping
    • Add support for adb over network
    • Add volume tweaks
    • Add option for Clear All button in recents
    • Enabled Quick Unlock
    • Added Active Display
    • Enabled AppOps
    • Battery Light Settings
    • Low Battery Optinos
    • Option to add activity indicators to Wifi and Signal bars
    • Add screenshot to power menu option
    • Enable LTE in mobile network settings
    • Option to hide ADB Notification
    • Added Time-Context headers to notification panel - this adds pictures to notification panel header based on time of day - check it out
    • Entirely new incoming call layout. Have someone test call you while screen is unlocked, it's pretty awesome

There's a lot of awesome stuff never seen before coming to Omni very soon :cool:

As always please post bug reports/report things you find broken and provide logs please!
    aaaand, jflteatt, jfltecan, jfltexx are officially supported by OmniROM now folks.
    boot hangs should be fixed, some camera updates, and wifi drivers are updated in next nightly 12/11