[Q] What should I do with my old captivate

Search This thread

eerikk2

Apr 26, 2012
I just upgraded to the HTC One. I have an old Samsung captivate sitting around now and I am interested in using it for some kind of single purpose device. Possibly an alarm clock, or remote of some kind. Any ideas or fun projects for it? I have a chromecast and raspberry pi, maybe I could somehow use it in conjunction with those?

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
I just upgraded to the HTC One. I have an old Samsung captivate sitting around now and I am interested in using it for some kind of single purpose device. Possibly an alarm clock, or remote of some kind. Any ideas or fun projects for it? I have a chromecast and raspberry pi, maybe I could somehow use it in conjunction with those?

There's a ROM that removes the "phone" side of your cappy in here. You would save a lot of battery and could use it as a music player or something.

eerikk2

Apr 26, 2012
Awesome! I've been looking for something like that! Is there possibly a kitkat version of something similar? Or can I just root any rom and remove the apk's responsible for the phone? I have been dying to try the new features. If not I guess I will start by flashing a kitkat rom and then going from there.

eerikk2

Apr 26, 2012
If I am looking to turn my cappy into a nightstand dashboard kind of thing, is there a good launcher for that? With big buttons for just a few apps, alarm clock, music, news, weather, etc

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

There's a ROM that removes the "phone" side of your cappy in here. You would save a lot of battery and could use it as a music player or something.
    Here's the Rom that BWolf56 mentioned.
    "[Rom] Captivate Touch..." http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43168037&postcount=1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    If I am looking to turn my cappy into a nightstand dashboard kind of thing, is there a good launcher for that? With big buttons for just a few apps, alarm clock, music, news, weather, etc

Most launchers will do that. I like ADW cause it's very light but there are quite a few good ones out there.
    Don't remove phone related apps, you'll get FC on startup. Just hide them or use password protection app.