KNox and recovery

Search This thread

androidfine16

Aug 12, 2012
Hello guys please help me ive searched through alot of forums and redaings a total of 4 hours and nothing usefull has come up.

So i have a galaxy s3 tmobile and it has Android 4.3 with knox and all of that other security crap on it. I tried to root it using this method
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2563955 however i cant seem to flash arecovery no matter what or which i try. The odin flash says it flashed sucefully but when i go to recovery its still stock 3e recovery. I tried multiple flashing methods and nothing.
I even tried to flash a knox free rom http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2521742 but i cant being that i have no recovery.
CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME?

>>>>>>>>>>>THANKS IN ADVANCE>>>>>>>>>

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Delete or rename two files

/system/recovery-from-boot
/system/etc/install-recovrry.sh

(Or similar to those...may have the path/name a little wrong. Now flash recovery and it should stick.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Or odin flash root66 firmware, then flash recovery.

androidfine16

Aug 12, 2012

(Or similar to those...may have the path/name a little wrong. Now flash recovery and it should stick.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

I dont have root to delet those two files. And could you expand on the root66 and oding thing?

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Root66 firmware is in my thread in development section, link in my sig. Youll find instructions for Odin there and all over the place with a quick search and from the sticky threads. Not being rude, just don't like redoing what's already out there. If you have any specific questions about the process, ill be happy to answer them.

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Click the root66 heading to go to the thread if you want more info about it.

Reactions: androidfine16

androidfine16

Aug 12, 2012

So i i flash the 4.3 over my current stock firmware with root66 version of 4.3 ill, have root?

androidfine16

Aug 12, 2012
Yes

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Ok i did it and i have superuser . If i follow this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1766552 method to flash a recovery without tripping the counter can i flash roms afterwards and kernels without damaging the modem or flash counter trips?
Ok so i have root and installed twrp recovery the latest one and it worked. I have root and a recovery :). So can i go ahaed and flash a rom and kernel now without any repercussions?

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Flashing any recovery or kernel trips the warranty bit. No way around that and no way to reset it I'm sorry to say. Since you've flashed recovery its likely tripped already so flashing kernels and roms won't make any difference anymore. The binary counter doesn't matter as its easily reset. But if you have a custom kernel or recovery it'll retrip to 1 every time you boot.

androidfine16

Aug 12, 2012
Flashing any recovery or kernel trips the warranty bit. No way around that and no way to reset it I'm sorry to say. Since you've flashed recovery its likely tripped already so flashing kernels and roms won't make any difference anymore. The binary counter doesn't matter as its easily reset. But if you have a custom kernel or recovery it'll retrip to 1 every time you boot.

I dont care for warranty or counter trip than. So i guess my final question is can i flash any roms including 4.2 and kitkat and above without bricking my phone?

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
You can flash Any of these roms via Custom Recovery TWRP and you will do fine.

Do note, some people have mentioned that with a 4.2.x or 4.1.x Roms, sometimes their IMEI goes missing. So take a Nandroid and EFS Backup before hand.

Reactions: androidfine16

androidfine16

Aug 12, 2012

Do note, some people have mentioned that with a 4.2.x or 4.1.x Roms, sometimes their IMEI goes missing. So take a Nandroid and EFS Backup before hand.

alright i made a nandroid backup of my whole stock rom. so now i downloaded the resurrection remix rom and im about to flash it.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP. COUDLNT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT IT=.)

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Perseus mentioned the nv (efs) backup before. Easiest way to protect yourself is open a terminal emulator and enter this.

su
reboot nvbackup

Device will reboot and create an internal, hidden backup of your nv data. I highly suggest doing this.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Ok , first, never use anything you find in the international models forum for any US model. They are very, very different devices. If you made an image from mmcblk0p3 as stated in that thread, you actually made a copy of sbl2 I'm pretty sure.
Also, the imei, (the important thing here) is not actually stored on the efs partition as it is in some other devices.
Run the command I posted before for the best solution. If NV corruption is ever detected, it should auto restore from this backup during boot up.

And again, stay away from the international forums. Most of the info there will not apply to our devices here and many, many people have bricked due to that mistake.
And delete the backup you made. If you were to try and restore it to your device after updating it at some point, it would most likely cause a brick.

androidfine16

Aug 12, 2012
OK thanks I'll get on that . I flashed a remix ROM and everything seems good right now. I'll try to back it up today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG NOTE III using xda app-developers app

fdecker

Mar 22, 2014
Kit Kat

I dont care for warranty or counter trip than. So i guess my final question is can i flash any roms including 4.2 and kitkat and above without bricking my phone?

Read up on Kit Kat, you might not want to upgrade. You will lose write access to the SDCard. There are ways to then fix it, but you could lose function in some of your apps. Samsung finally adopted the Android specs for write access.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root66 firmware is in my thread in development section, link in my sig. Youll find instructions for Odin there and all over the place with a quick search and from the sticky threads. Not being rude, just don't like redoing what's already out there. If you have any specific questions about the process, ill be happy to answer them.

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Click the root66 heading to go to the thread if you want more info about it.
    So i i flash the 4.3 over my current stock firmware with root66 version of 4.3 ill, have root?

Yes

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk