Sprint protection plan app

Search This thread

badjerzeeboy

Jan 27, 2008
hi i received this txt from sprint
SprintFreeMsg: Welcome to Total Equipment Protection. Click http://tepdl.com to download Protection App for extra features with your service at no added cost.

am rooted i dont want to install this cuz they will know all my software details and what i have. can you help with this. should i install sprint rom to install the app they asking me to install. and unroot the phone. or just leave it like that

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

SouthPhilly

Jun 18, 2010
Philadelphia PA
hi i received this txt from sprint
SprintFreeMsg: Welcome to Total Equipment Protection. Click http://tepdl.com to download Protection App for extra features with your service at no added cost.

am rooted i dont want to install this cuz they will know all my software details and what i have. can you help with this. should i install sprint rom to install the app they asking me to install. and unroot the phone. or just leave it like that

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

If you don't want to install it.... don't. Sprint isn't demanding you install it.

I'm not really sure what this app dose or offers other than back up your phone and track it if it's lost or stolen. But there are a few really good apps in the market to do that for you anyway.

As for unrooting your eVo just to install a free application from Sprint..... your call, It's not needed.

Just for kicks in tried to download and install it on my eVo. Sprints server doesn't even see my eVo as a supported model. I'm running Decks 2.3.4 rom

Sent From The Tree House Out Back!

BonkyMoon

Jan 12, 2009
Raymore
I have it installed and it's been fine for me. I used to have wavesecure but after forgetting to reinstall it a few roms ago I stopped caring about it.

phsteve

Sep 7, 2010
Brooklyn
Also, check out Cerberus, it does just about everything the Sprint app does... You can track your phone via web or text message, sound alarms, remote wipe etc.... You can even have it take a picture and send it back to you so you can see who is using your phone. I think it's like a one time €2.99 fee, or about $5. If you're still nervous about the Sprint app or don't want to pay the monthly fees for similar apps it's the way to go.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

bmickler

Jul 10, 2013
I'd be very wary of this app, here's why:

1. Whois entry uses Domains by Proxy, would Sprint do that? Probably not...
check out who.godaddy.com/whois.aspx?domain=tepdl.com for the WHOIS

2. A quick search of "tepdl.com" on the sprint.com site yields only results from the community BB, you'd think Sprint would have some "official" links to that site if it were real. There are some really distressing results, here's a quote from one

"I just bought a LG LS970 and downloaded a protection app through Sprint that was LINK:tepdl.com. Once downloaded, it took all my contacts and wiped them out. Can anyone tell me how to get them back onto my phone and if this was truly from Sprint? It was sent from them so I it was. Please help me." (LINK:community.sprint.com/baw/message/575630?tstart=0)​

I think it's a phishing app.