[GUIDE] Alternate method for rooting the Kindle Fire system version 6.3.1 and 6.3.2

Search This thread

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
The main reasons to root the kindle is to gain access to the Google Android Market and or flash a Rom. The the act of rooting the stock software is very near obsolete in most cases. For one reason or another this appears to be an arduous task for the kindle, the computer, the utility and for the inexperienced user. There`s a better way, not a new way but far less talked about. My hope is to create a better safety net for the average user. A few simple steps and you`re well on the way. The process involves getting drivers installed correctly, putting a custom recovery in place as well as a bootloader, managing your first backup and installing a modified stock Rom with root. It`s a good idea to first understand some basic things about what your device will need to make all this possible. I do not believe it could be anymore clearly laid out for you than FSM Kinfauns wrote here [GUIDE] Kindle Fire For Beginners. If you`re new to rooting or just to the Kindle Fire this is a must see.

Drivers

Well I`m sorry the first part is difficult at least for some users it requires getting drivers in order. I`m not going to go into great detail on this it`s very well highlighted in the second post of the above thread. Some things that may help installation.
  • Avoid using 3.0 USB ports users have had trouble with them not reacting well to fastboot causing serious problems.
  • Make sure your using the proper cable.
  • Run the Install_driver bat file first. Any errors during this may indicate the need for a manual installation. Windows XP requires manual installation.
  • Plug in the Kindle. Watch to see if windows shows installation of drivers and which one. Windows 7 usually shows a popup balloon of the driver it`s installing, click on it to view progress and type.
  • Open device manager. In device manager you should see "Android phone" click to view driver it should read "Android Composite ADB Interface".
  • If it reads "Android ADB Interface" more work is needed.
  • Right click then select update driver.
  • Click "browse my computer for driver software", and point it to the kindle drivers. On my Windows 7 machine, for instance, it's C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\Kindle_Fire_Util ity_v0.9.6\Kindle Fire Utility\drivers\kindle.
  • Include subfolders and click next. Disregard any warnings update driver software anyway, preferably it will then read "Android Composite ADB Interface".
For manual installation here`s a very good tutorial. How to install Kindle Fire adb USB driver?

Driver flex test
There`s a way to test the driver before ever attempting to send anything to your device. The Kindle Fire driver is in and of itself multifaceted and Windows has only met with the first half of it. A mild introduction to the second half could very well prevent Windows from being confused when you need it function correctly for the technical part of this process. I would consider this "the lesser of two evils" with the only risk being stuck in fastboot. This far less under weighs actually physically breaking something if it were to fail.
  • Plug your kindle in.
  • Unlock the screen.
  • Tap disconnect at the bottom of the screen to stop the USB file transfer application if it auto launches.
  • Open device manager.
  • Launch Kindle Fire Utility.
  • Confirm driver indicates "Android Composite ADB Interface" in device manager and Kindle Fire Utility indicates ADB Status: Online / Boot Status: 4000.
  • In KFU select # 1 Bootmode Menu then select # 2 Fastboot <4002> the Kindle will be told to reboot in fastboot mode. Setting bootmodes with KFU takes a bit be patient.
  • Check device manager see that the driver reads "Android ADB Interface" without errors such as an exclamation point or a question mark.
  • Powering the device off and back on again while attached can prompt new hardware found for updating driver on XP and proper installation of the driver in Windows 7.
  • If it does have an error or Windows does not recognize the device you must once again right click then select update driver to make it read "Android ADB Interface".
  • Press any key to continue
  • If it says ADB status offline Boot Status: Unknown disregard and select # 1 Normal <4000> this will tell the Kindle to reboot in Normal mode.
  • After booted press any key to continue.
  • Press 0 to recheck device status.
  • Confirm driver indicates "Android Composite ADB Interface" in device manager and Kindle Fire Utility indicates ADB Status: Online / Boot Status: 4000. This completes the driver flex test. If you get stuck in fastboot don`t panic there`s no damage, just an altered bootmode. Keep working with your drivers, powering the device off and back on again while attached seems to work pretty well.
Device preparation
  • Start with a fully charged battery.
  • This step is very important under settings/device turn on allow installation of applications from unknown sources.
  • Plug your kindle in.
  • Unlock the screen.
  • Tap disconnect at the bottom of the screen to stop the USB file transfer application if it auto launches.
Status verification
  • Open device manager.
  • Confirm driver indicates "Android Composite ADB Interface" in device manager and Kindle Fire Utility indicates ADB Status: Online / Boot Status: 4000.
TWRP installation
  • Select # 3 Install Latest TWRP Recovery. The Kindle will be told to reboot in fastboot mode. If all goes smooth it will reboot, in the terminal it will download the recovery, send it, write it. Then return your kindle to normal bootmode.
  • If nothing happens after 3 or 4 minutes and it just sits there <waiting for device> simply hold down the power button while connected till it turns off then turn it back on again. This could even take a few times always wait the 3 or 4 minutes in between.
Bootloader installation

Hopefully now the risky part is over and you`re booted back to the stock OS of the kindle.
  • Swipe to unlock the screen.
  • Do not disconnect the USB file transfer application. If it fails to auto launch touch upper left of screen, tap USB is connected select to copy files to/from your computer. This will show the contents of your sdcard on your computer.
  • Download bootloader only from here [bootloader][05-26] FFF 1.4A bugfixes + new look + recovery boot [.zip file size]. All files to be flashed in recovery must be in zip form. DO NOT EXTRACT. Do not use the bin file from KFU it`s not intended for flashing in recovery and will break the bootloader.
  • Drag and drop fff-u-boot_ v1.4a.zip on to your sdcard but do not place it inside of a folder.
  • Then disconnect the file transfer application when finished transferring.
  • In KFU select # 1 Bootmode Menu then select # 3 recovery <5001> this will tell your kindle to enter recovery.
  • In TWRP select install then locate fff-u-boot_ v1.4a.zip tap on it and flash it, leave the boxes unchecked.
  • When finished hit the home button upper right to return to TWRP home screen.
  • Select reboot.
  • Select system if prompted.
First backup and flashing rooted stock
  • After reboot Swipe to unlock screen.
  • Do not disconnect the file transfer application.If it fails to auto launch touch upper left of screen, tap USB is connected select to copy files to/from your computer.
  • Drag and drop this Rom zip onto your sdcard [ROM] 14 Jun Gr9 (6.3.1) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Kindle Fire. Use the standard version not the altrom but do not put it inside of any folder. I`m not trying to highlight just one developers work but this is needed for this method.
  • Disconnect the file transfer application after the transfer has finished.
  • Unplug kindle from pc.
  • Power the kindle off , then back on again. When you see the white Kindle blue Fire logo quickly depress the power button a few times till you get a boot menu select --Recovery--.
  • In recovery select backup the default selections are fine, swipe to backup. This backup you will later rename noroot631 without spaces. Adding spaces will cause it to fail if you need to restore it.
  • When finished hit the home button upper right.
  • Select install.
  • Tap on GR9 Modaco zip and flash it. Do not enable force MD5 check or zip file verification or it will fail.
  • When done select reboot.
Final result

When the Kindle reboots it will have root and have the Google Android Market in your applications.Take note that this is the only Rom that you flash without doing the proper wipes. To increase your safety net it is recommended to perform an MD5 check on fff-u-boot_ v1.4a.zip and Gr9 (6.3.1) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Kindle Fire using this application WinMD5Free. You may ask" Why so many steps?" or "Why not flash everything at once?" This is to insure everything works throughout the process and prevent mishaps. The entire point of this thread to avoid having to use a factory cable or firekit to rescue your device because something went wrong. I hope that some of my tips and tricks will make your rooting experience safer and easier. Good luck and have fun.

How to flash another Rom​
  • 1. Transfer Rom zip and matching gapps zip to sdcard.
  • 2. Enter recovery.
  • 3. Create a backup.
  • 4. Wipe factory reset.
  • 5. Wipe cache.
  • 6. Wipe dalvik.
  • 7. Wipe system.( unless same Rom, same system, same developer)
  • 8. Flash Rom zip.
  • 9. Flash gapps zip.
  • 10. Select reboot, then system if prompted.
  • 11. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2012
Got up to the "Open adb_usb.ini with notepad.", but the file was not there. Did I forget something?

---------- Post added 12th October 2012 at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was 11th October 2012 at 11:53 PM ----------

Got up to the "Open adb_usb.ini with notepad.", but the file was not there. Did I forget something?

Last edited:

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
adb_usb.ini needs to be located in your .android folder if its not copy paste it from Kindle_Fire_Utility_v0.9.6\Kindle Fire Utility\drivers\kindle to .android and plug your device in. Make sure that 0x1949 is written in if its written in twice or not written in the device will appear offline.

Last edited:

kindle-user

Nov 3, 2012
abd Server offline and offline and offline......

Hello
I have a very neus Kindle Fire. Unfortunately I can not make it to rooten it.
For two days I build drivers back and forth. Always unsuccessful. The adb server is offline. Can it be that the device is too new? The device connects normal with win7. All attempts failed to use the modified drivers. It was only when I entered in my driver hardware ID from the Kindle (USB \ VID_1949 & PID_000A & REV_0216
USB \ VID_1949 & PID_000A) I was able to install the driver. Then stood in Device Manager under Android Phone ADB interface. Unfortunately the Kindle but then disappears completely from the workplace. But brings no good, the adb server is offline. Weis someone whether to run the adb server must also, not even when the kindle is connected? In Task Manager starts at least the adb exe.. Comes in the shell, but the message is written if I have adb properly etc.
I hope anyone have any advice.
Greetings and thanks

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
Hello
I have a very neus Kindle Fire. Unfortunately I can not make it to rooten it.
For two days I build drivers back and forth. Always unsuccessful. The adb server is offline. Can it be that the device is too new? The device connects normal with win7. All attempts failed to use the modified drivers. It was only when I entered in my driver hardware ID from the Kindle (USB \ VID_1949 & PID_000A & REV_0216
USB \ VID_1949 & PID_000A) I was able to install the driver. Then stood in Device Manager under Android Phone ADB interface. Unfortunately the Kindle but then disappears completely from the workplace. But brings no good, the adb server is offline. Weis someone whether to run the adb server must also, not even when the kindle is connected? In Task Manager starts at least the adb exe.. Comes in the shell, but the message is written if I have adb properly etc.
I hope anyone have any advice.
Greetings and thanks
Very important...what software version is your KF running?

svartes

May 9, 2012
KFU ERRO

Well, I did exactly as in the procedure, but when I install TWRP, the KFU informed the log below:

* Recovery Installer *

* WARNING *

Make sure to read each screen carefully!
Make sure to follow instructions given to you!

twrp.img has been found.

* NOTICE *

Installing TWRP...
If we get stuck here for awhile, power the kindle on and off a few times.
You should also check device manager for "kindle" If so, rerun the driver
installer that came packaged with KFU.

* Activating Fastboot (4002) *

3440 KB/s (510876 bytes in 0.145s)

The kindle has been told to reboot in Fastboot Mode.

Cannot open input file recovery\twrp.img
error: cannot load 'recovery\twrp.img'

* READ ME *

If we get stuck here a long time, check the ADB drivers in windows.
Fastboot uses a different device than ADB, so make sure it is installed as an
ADB device. If you see "kindle" in device manager, you need to install the
drivers. You can also try running install_drivers.bat in the drivers folder.

Do NOT unplug the kindle if we are stuck here, leave it plugged in and on.
Do NOT touch the kindle at all if we are stuck.
Setting Normal Bootmode.

Please wait...

< waiting for device >
... OKAY [ 0.198s]
finished. total time: 0.198s
rebooting...
finished. total time: 0.002s

* All Done! *

That's all folks. TWRP has been installed.
Please tap reboot on the kindle.

Press any key to continue . . .

OBS:

In KFU shows the device status ONLINE.

I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit.

I figured it was giving error downloading the file, so I consulted the log and I downloaded manually, I created a folder "twrp.img" inside the folder "recovery" and threw the file "openrecovery-2.2.2.1-twrp-blaze" inside, but kept giving the same error.

The KF just restarts and nothing happens and does not install TWRP.

The version of my KF is 6.3.1.

Does anyone have a solution? Thankful!

PS: Sorry for the English, I'm using Google Translator!

Jspex

Mar 2, 2012
Well, I did exactly as in the procedure, but when I install TWRP, the KFU informed the log below:

* Recovery Installer *

* WARNING *

Make sure to read each screen carefully!
Make sure to follow instructions given to you!

twrp.img has been found.

* NOTICE *

Installing TWRP...
If we get stuck here for awhile, power the kindle on and off a few times.
You should also check device manager for "kindle" If so, rerun the driver
installer that came packaged with KFU.

* Activating Fastboot (4002) *

3440 KB/s (510876 bytes in 0.145s)

The kindle has been told to reboot in Fastboot Mode.

Cannot open input file recovery\twrp.img
error: cannot load 'recovery\twrp.img'

* READ ME *

If we get stuck here a long time, check the ADB drivers in windows.
Fastboot uses a different device than ADB, so make sure it is installed as an
ADB device. If you see "kindle" in device manager, you need to install the
drivers. You can also try running install_drivers.bat in the drivers folder.

Do NOT unplug the kindle if we are stuck here, leave it plugged in and on.
Do NOT touch the kindle at all if we are stuck.
Setting Normal Bootmode.

Please wait...

< waiting for device >
... OKAY [ 0.198s]
finished. total time: 0.198s
rebooting...
finished. total time: 0.002s

* All Done! *

That's all folks. TWRP has been installed.
Please tap reboot on the kindle.

Press any key to continue . . .

OBS:

In KFU shows the device status ONLINE.

I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit.

I figured it was giving error downloading the file, so I consulted the log and I downloaded manually, I created a folder "twrp.img" inside the folder "recovery" and threw the file "openrecovery-2.2.2.1-twrp-blaze" inside, but kept giving the same error.

The KF just restarts and nothing happens and does not install TWRP.

The version of my KF is 6.3.1.

Does anyone have a solution? Thankful!

PS: Sorry for the English, I'm using Google Translator!

I had the same issue, I had to rename the recovery file name to twrp.img then it worked perfectly. Also delete the file you created for twrp in the recovery directory in the kfu package and just replace the copy of twrp (if the is one there) in the recovery folder with the one you downloaded and renamed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

iamtaaan

Nov 19, 2013
everything is set but when i open the KFU 0.9.9 it look like this.

Attachments

• asdasd.JPG
    asdasd.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 100

yaconsult

Nov 13, 2013
Google Pixel 4a 5G
failed to copy 'files\fbmode' to '/data/local/fbmode': Permission denied

This is a great guide that goes into more detail than most of them which helps a lot for troubleshooting.

Unfortunately, the /data file system on my fire is read only, so copying the files to root it is not possible. I'm using KFU 0.9.9 and the kindle is running 6.3.2. Compter is windows 7 64-bit. What do I need to do to get permission to write to the kindle's filesystem? See the screenshots below.

Attachments

• kf1.jpg
    kf1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 201
  • kf2.jpg
    kf2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 199
  • kf3.JPG
    kf3.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
A

androvista

Thanks for the guide

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The main reasons to root the kindle is to gain access to the Google Android Market and or flash a Rom. The the act of rooting the stock software is very near obsolete in most cases. For one reason or another this appears to be an arduous task for the kindle, the computer, the utility and for the inexperienced user. There`s a better way, not a new way but far less talked about. My hope is to create a better safety net for the average user. A few simple steps and you`re well on the way. The process involves getting drivers installed correctly, putting a custom recovery in place as well as a bootloader, managing your first backup and installing a modified stock Rom with root. It`s a good idea to first understand some basic things about what your device will need to make all this possible. I do not believe it could be anymore clearly laid out for you than FSM Kinfauns wrote here [GUIDE] Kindle Fire For Beginners. If you`re new to rooting or just to the Kindle Fire this is a must see.

Drivers

Well I`m sorry the first part is difficult at least for some users it requires getting drivers in order. I`m not going to go into great detail on this it`s very well highlighted in the second post of the above thread. Some things that may help installation.
    • Avoid using 3.0 USB ports users have had trouble with them not reacting well to fastboot causing serious problems.
    • Make sure your using the proper cable.
    • Run the Install_driver bat file first. Any errors during this may indicate the need for a manual installation. Windows XP requires manual installation.
    • Plug in the Kindle. Watch to see if windows shows installation of drivers and which one. Windows 7 usually shows a popup balloon of the driver it`s installing, click on it to view progress and type.
    • Open device manager. In device manager you should see "Android phone" click to view driver it should read "Android Composite ADB Interface".
    • If it reads "Android ADB Interface" more work is needed.
    • Right click then select update driver.
    • Click "browse my computer for driver software", and point it to the kindle drivers. On my Windows 7 machine, for instance, it's C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\Kindle_Fire_Util ity_v0.9.6\Kindle Fire Utility\drivers\kindle.
    • Include subfolders and click next. Disregard any warnings update driver software anyway, preferably it will then read "Android Composite ADB Interface".
    For manual installation here`s a very good tutorial. How to install Kindle Fire adb USB driver?

Driver flex test
    There`s a way to test the driver before ever attempting to send anything to your device. The Kindle Fire driver is in and of itself multifaceted and Windows has only met with the first half of it. A mild introduction to the second half could very well prevent Windows from being confused when you need it function correctly for the technical part of this process. I would consider this "the lesser of two evils" with the only risk being stuck in fastboot. This far less under weighs actually physically breaking something if it were to fail.
    • Plug your kindle in.
    • Unlock the screen.
    • Open device manager.
    • In KFU select # 1 Bootmode Menu then select # 2 Fastboot <4002> the Kindle will be told to reboot in fastboot mode. Setting bootmodes with KFU takes a bit be patient.
    • Check device manager see that the driver reads "Android ADB Interface" without errors such as an exclamation point or a question mark.
    • Powering the device off and back on again while attached can prompt new hardware found for updating driver on XP and proper installation of the driver in Windows 7.
    • If it does have an error or Windows does not recognize the device you must once again right click then select update driver to make it read "Android ADB Interface".
    • Press any key to continue
    • If it says ADB status offline Boot Status: Unknown disregard and select # 1 Normal <4000> this will tell the Kindle to reboot in Normal mode.
    • After booted press any key to continue.
    • Press 0 to recheck device status.
    • Confirm driver indicates "Android Composite ADB Interface" in device manager and Kindle Fire Utility indicates ADB Status: Online / Boot Status: 4000. This completes the driver flex test. If you get stuck in fastboot don`t panic there`s no damage, just an altered bootmode. Keep working with your drivers, powering the device off and back on again while attached seems to work pretty well.
    Device preparation
    • Start with a fully charged battery.
    • This step is very important under settings/device turn on allow installation of applications from unknown sources.
    • Plug your kindle in.
    • Unlock the screen.
    Status verification
    • Open device manager.
    TWRP installation
    • Select # 3 Install Latest TWRP Recovery. The Kindle will be told to reboot in fastboot mode. If all goes smooth it will reboot, in the terminal it will download the recovery, send it, write it. Then return your kindle to normal bootmode.
    • If nothing happens after 3 or 4 minutes and it just sits there <waiting for device> simply hold down the power button while connected till it turns off then turn it back on again. This could even take a few times always wait the 3 or 4 minutes in between.
    Bootloader installation

Hopefully now the risky part is over and you`re booted back to the stock OS of the kindle.
    • Swipe to unlock the screen.
    • Do not disconnect the USB file transfer application. If it fails to auto launch touch upper left of screen, tap USB is connected select to copy files to/from your computer. This will show the contents of your sdcard on your computer.
    • Download bootloader only from here [bootloader][05-26] FFF 1.4A bugfixes + new look + recovery boot [.zip file size]. All files to be flashed in recovery must be in zip form. DO NOT EXTRACT. Do not use the bin file from KFU it`s not intended for flashing in recovery and will break the bootloader.
    • Drag and drop fff-u-boot_ v1.4a.zip on to your sdcard but do not place it inside of a folder.
    • Then disconnect the file transfer application when finished transferring.
    • In KFU select # 1 Bootmode Menu then select # 3 recovery <5001> this will tell your kindle to enter recovery.
    • In TWRP select install then locate fff-u-boot_ v1.4a.zip tap on it and flash it, leave the boxes unchecked.
    • When finished hit the home button upper right to return to TWRP home screen.
    • Select reboot.
    First backup and flashing rooted stock
    • After reboot Swipe to unlock screen.
    • Do not disconnect the file transfer application.If it fails to auto launch touch upper left of screen, tap USB is connected select to copy files to/from your computer.
    • Drag and drop this Rom zip onto your sdcard [ROM] 14 Jun Gr9 (6.3.1) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Kindle Fire. Use the standard version not the altrom but do not put it inside of any folder. I`m not trying to highlight just one developers work but this is needed for this method.
    • Disconnect the file transfer application after the transfer has finished.
    • Unplug kindle from pc.
    • Power the kindle off , then back on again. When you see the white Kindle blue Fire logo quickly depress the power button a few times till you get a boot menu select --Recovery--.
    • In recovery select backup the default selections are fine, swipe to backup. This backup you will later rename noroot631 without spaces. Adding spaces will cause it to fail if you need to restore it.
    • When finished hit the home button upper right.
    • Select install.
    • Tap on GR9 Modaco zip and flash it. Do not enable force MD5 check or zip file verification or it will fail.
    • When done select reboot.
    Final result

When the Kindle reboots it will have root and have the Google Android Market in your applications.Take note that this is the only Rom that you flash without doing the proper wipes. To increase your safety net it is recommended to perform an MD5 check on fff-u-boot_ v1.4a.zip and Gr9 (6.3.1) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Kindle Fire using this application WinMD5Free. You may ask" Why so many steps?" or "Why not flash everything at once?" This is to insure everything works throughout the process and prevent mishaps. The entire point of this thread to avoid having to use a factory cable or firekit to rescue your device because something went wrong. I hope that some of my tips and tricks will make your rooting experience safer and easier. Good luck and have fun.

How to flash another Rom​
    • 1. Transfer Rom zip and matching gapps zip to sdcard.
    • 2. Enter recovery.
    • 3. Create a backup.
    • 4. Wipe factory reset.
    • 5. Wipe cache.
    • 6. Wipe dalvik.
    • 7. Wipe system.( unless same Rom, same system, same developer)
    • 8. Flash Rom zip.
    • 9. Flash gapps zip.
    • 10. Select reboot, then system if prompted.
    • 11. Enjoy!
    Your welcome.
    adb_usb.ini needs to be located in your .android folder if its not copy paste it from Kindle_Fire_Utility_v0.9.6\Kindle Fire Utility\drivers\kindle to .android and plug your device in. Make sure that 0x1949 is written in if its written in twice or not written in the device will appear offline.

Did the trick. Ty sir