C6606 (T-Mobile USA) pre-Rooting questions

Search This thread

goon3r

Sep 8, 2010
Hi All,

I have T-Mobile branded C6606 and have been considering rooting so that I can flash a c6603 stock ROM. I know the bootloader is locked on the device but here is my question:

If I flash a stock ROM and basically make the phone act as a 6603, will I get updates directly from Sony for example will I be able to upgrade to 4.3 or 4.4 via PC Companion or OTA ? I'm assuming this is with the bootloader remaining locked.

Also, assuming I decide to root and flash using a stock ROM are there any CONS...ie. Wifi or NFC issues ?

Thanks!

GROGG88

Feb 15, 2011
Lone Star State
joshuaglenlee.com
Hi All,

I have T-Mobile branded C6606 and have been considering rooting so that I can flash a c6603 stock ROM. I know the bootloader is locked on the device but here is my question:

If I flash a stock ROM and basically make the phone act as a 6603, will I get updates directly from Sony for example will I be able to upgrade to 4.3 or 4.4 via PC Companion or OTA ? I'm assuming this is with the bootloader remaining locked.

Also, assuming I decide to root and flash using a stock ROM are there any CONS...ie. Wifi or NFC issues ?

Thanks!

No issues. It will perform as a 6603. Only thing you will loose is wifi calling... I'm typing this from a 6606 right now on rooted 4.3 ES firmware.

You need to flash a (.67) or (.74) rom first, root it, install recovery, and then you can install a (.569) pre-rooted rom. Make sure you set your apn correctly for mms functioning.

You can use this as your final update for now:

http://xdaforums.com/showthredad.php?t=2583333

Please post questions in q&a section next time. ;)

Sent from my C6603 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

goon3r

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks for the info Grogg.

I'm curious though, why is it that I should install the older (.67 or 74) ROM first ? I was actually planning to root, install CWM then simply find a Generic unbranded ROM to flash.

No issues. It will perform as a 6603. Only thing you will loose is wifi calling... I'm typing this from a 6606 right now on rooted 4.3 ES firmware.

You need to flash a (.67) or (.74) rom first, root it, install recovery, and then you can install a (.569) pre-rooted rom. Make sure you set your apn correctly for mms functioning.

You can use this as your final update for now:

http://xdaforums.com/showthredad.php?t=2583333

Please post questions in q&a section next time. ;)

GROGG88

Feb 15, 2011
Lone Star State
joshuaglenlee.com

I'm curious though, why is it that I should install the older (.67 or 74) ROM first ? I was actually planning to root, install CWM then simply find a Generic unbranded ROM to flash.

Because you cannot root the 4.3 roms directly without an unlocked bootloader. The way I described is the only option for now.

Reactions: goon3r

goon3r

Sep 8, 2010
So I flashed a stock 6603 ES ROM (10.31.A.2.67), been testing it and no issues so far. Happy to get rid of some of the T-Mobile bloatware.

Since 4.3 is already out for the C6603 , I was expecting an OTA or PC Companion to prompt me to update to 4.3 (shows 6603). Am I missing something here ?

I haven't rooted or done anything else apart from the ROM Flash. To be honest I don't have much desire for Custom ROMs or need Root access, just a desire to get faster updates and less bloat. If I can get a stock 4.3 on the device I may leave it like that. The most important thing for me though is to just be able to get updates.

Wondering if I should start a new thread in the QA forum or if a MOD can simply move this one.

GROGG88

Feb 15, 2011
Lone Star State
joshuaglenlee.com
So I flashed a stock 6603 ES ROM (10.31.A.2.67), been testing it and no issues so far. Happy to get rid of some of the T-Mobile bloatware.

Since 4.3 is already out for the C6603 , I was expecting an OTA or PC Companion to prompt me to update to 4.3 (shows 6603). Am I missing something here ?

I haven't rooted or done anything else apart from the ROM Flash. To be honest I don't have much desire for Custom ROMs or need Root access, just a desire to get faster updates and less bloat. If I can get a stock 4.3 on the device I may leave it like that. The most important thing for me though is to just be able to get updates.

Wondering if I should start a new thread in the QA forum or if a MOD can simply move this one.

There may or may not be an update available depending on the customization number you flashed. Either way, if you flashed a stock ftf then you will receive updates as they become available for your customization number.

goon3r

Sep 8, 2010
Ok. Ignorance on my part. I was under the impression that the builds were generic enough that all would be eligible for updates.

The FTF I used was from this page:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45856753&postcount=1

Can you point me at or recommend an FTF then ? I'm going to be giving the phone to a family member in a few weeks and just want them to at least be able to get regular updates.

There may or may not be an update available depending on the customization number you flashed. Either way, if you flashed a stock ftf then you will receive updates as they become available for your customization number.

goon3r

Sep 8, 2010
While I wait for the 4.3 ROM in that link (taking 3+ hours so far), I decided to try a generic UK Rom.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2404211

I got prompted for an OTA update which completed fine, no prompt for 4.3 since though. Is it just a case of waiting or am I missing something ? When I use flashtool I am leaving everything at default only excluding baseband.

Generic ES 4.3 has been released. You should be getting an update to (.569). You can check firmware versions here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42234656

There is an ftf available for that update though, so you could go that route.

Download here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48974188

GROGG88

Feb 15, 2011
Lone Star State
joshuaglenlee.com
While I wait for the 4.3 ROM in that link (taking 3+ hours so far), I decided to try a generic UK Rom.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2404211

I got prompted for an OTA update which completed fine, no prompt for 4.3 since though. Is it just a case of waiting or am I missing something ? When I use flashtool I am leaving everything at default only excluding baseband.

You can try rebooting and checking again. Did you ever perform a factory reset? If not, do it.

Also, the baseband really doesn't need to be excluded. I've seen no benefits in keeping any of the t-mobile garbage.

goon3r

Sep 8, 2010
You can try rebooting and checking again. Did you ever perform a factory reset? If not, do it.

Also, the baseband really doesn't need to be excluded. I've seen no benefits in keeping any of the t-mobile garbage.

I took your advice and reflashed with baseband and also did the factory reset. The baseband left me with weak LTE in areas where I normally have full bars. In the end the update still didn't show allowing me to move to 4.3. I ended up just flashing the 4.3 ES rom that you linked to and have been liking it so far.

I really would like to have a better understanding of how/why I wasn't getting the update prompts.

Refer to this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2311211

There will be some folder you may have to delete from PCC data because it is cached and PCC will still see your device with the old customization. It is explained in that 1st post.

I actually looked into this, but at one point after flashing but didn't have any folder to delete. Also, after the last flash I connected to a brand new laptop that had never had PCC installed or seen the phone before and the result was the same. No update could be found.

I appreciate the suggestions so far, I'd love to know what else I can try though as I'd like to have the phone get regular updates independent of T-Mobile.

nickcaper

Jun 2, 2012
Generic ES 4.3 has been released. You should be getting an update to (.569). You can check firmware versions here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42234656

There is an ftf available for that update though, so you could go that route.

Download here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48974188

Here are the steps I am taking to root my tmobile c6606 on a c6603 4.3 rom. It has been unsuccesful. I would like help.
I have used flashtool-0.9.13.0-windows tool.
I use it to successfully install Xperia Z (C6603)_10.4.B.0.569_Generic ES tft.
It is fully fuctional and works with no problems.
However.
I have tried the Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v33 tool that roots the C6606 succesfully when I have the original factory rom installed.
BUT when I have this 4.3 Generic ES rom installed it will not root. It says I need to enable USB Debugging. I do that. The the phone shows it is in that mode, but the root program will not see it in that mode.

Therefore, rooting can not occur..
What do I do?

Id like to root so I can install my special apps and remove bloat.
Thanks

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
Here are the steps I am taking to root my tmobile c6606 on a c6603 4.3 rom. It has been unsuccesful. I would like help.
However.
I have tried the Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v33 tool that roots the C6606 succesfully when I have the original factory rom installed.
BUT when I have this 4.3 Generic ES rom installed it will not root. It says I need to enable USB Debugging. I do that. The the phone shows it is in that mode, but the root program will not see it in that mode.

What do I do?

Thanks

You cannot root any 4.3 rom directly without unlocking the bootloader. As you have a C6606, you cannot do that.
You will have to downgrade to a 4.2.2 rom, root, then flash a prerooted 4.3 rom.
This information is readily available all over this section, so a search probably would have got you the information you needed. :)
Forum rules.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Reactions: GROGG88

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Because you cannot root the 4.3 roms directly without an unlocked bootloader. The way I described is the only option for now.

However.

What do I do?

Thanks

You cannot root any 4.3 rom directly without unlocking the bootloader. As you have a C6606, you cannot do that.
    You will have to downgrade to a 4.2.2 rom, root, then flash a prerooted 4.3 rom.
    This information is readily available all over this section, so a search probably would have got you the information you needed. :)
    Forum rules.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk