[Q] MicroSD woes

Search This thread

crashfocus

Sep 8, 2013
Hey there.

So, I have this wonderful HTC M8. Love it. It's great. Except for my experiences with microSD cards. Basically, I bought a $30 samsung µSD, 64gb, great, wonderful, everything. Something killed it. It lost its formatting every time I mounted it in either Android or Mac OS. So, I returned it, bought a different brand (unbranded, 64gb, $10). This card works great... as long as I don't write data to it from anything except Android. I'm rooted/S-off, so I was able to mount it as RW with ES File Explorer, and yeah. But whenever I copy files to its root directory from my Mac, Android proudly declares that the card is damaged and needs to be reformatted. At this point, I'm going to assume that this isn't a problem with my card, and more a problem with how Android handles things (or how I'm writing files). What the hell is going on, and how can I fix it?

Thanks!

xjedi

Dec 8, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Hey there.

So, I have this wonderful HTC M8. Love it. It's great. Except for my experiences with microSD cards. Basically, I bought a $30 samsung µSD, 64gb, great, wonderful, everything. Something killed it. It lost its formatting every time I mounted it in either Android or Mac OS. So, I returned it, bought a different brand (unbranded, 64gb, $10). This card works great... as long as I don't write data to it from anything except Android. I'm rooted/S-off, so I was able to mount it as RW with ES File Explorer, and yeah. But whenever I copy files to its root directory from my Mac, Android proudly declares that the card is damaged and needs to be reformatted. At this point, I'm going to assume that this isn't a problem with my card, and more a problem with how Android handles things (or how I'm writing files). What the hell is going on, and how can I fix it?

Thanks!

I have problems too with my microSD. I backup to my mSD, whether with TWRP or CWM, and it always fails to restore. I've re-formatted it and I've had the same problem with the dialogue "Damaged .... needs to be reformatted."

Did you ever figure out the problem?

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
I have no problems writing to, backing up to SD Card from PC or phone. Not sure while you're experiencing your issue but with root and a root file manager, all should be fine.

Reactions: tominozh

xjedi

Dec 8, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Don't compress the backup

I haven't been compressing my backups. I actually tried it both ways once. I keep getting "Failed...can't verify md5". Something like that.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

I have no problems writing to, backing up to SD Card from PC or phone. Not sure while you're experiencing your issue but with root and a root file manager, all should be fine.

Yeah, I can backup to. I just can't do a restore from the mSD. It's weird. Maybe because I formatted it on a Mac, but it was done with MSDOS (FAT). I'll try formatting it on a PC and see if that works.

allen175

May 19, 2010
Dublin
I'm having different SD card issues, Zoe won't work with my sd card, its a sandisk ultra 64gb class 10 UHS-1 and it says I need a higher class card with at this moment is impossible.

I formatted mine with my phone to try resolve it but made it worse, it formatted it to HTFS/NTFS and when i checked what the storage was like on it, it only read that it was a 10gb card, but my computer picked it up as a 64gb card, so try not to use the phone to format it. I went back to it being fat32 with an app from the playstore, can't find any apps to format it as exFAT though.

Other than that mine is fine.

Gr8man001

Aug 19, 2012
Washington, DC
OnePlus 11
I've tried that too with no luck.

Writing to sd card restrictions were placed by Google in KitKat 4.4+ versions as a part of 'system enhancements'. I have rooted my M8 and the following three things worked for me:

1. Buy San Disk or another reputed brand card (authentic, fake/generic one gave me the same error message). Generic one are flimsy and often will give you an error message that card was unmounted unexpectedly.
2. Removing write-off protection, see the process at: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2701816
3. If above two methods still give you the same issue, try formatting the card in fat32 format. It will limit the each file size to 2GB but at least will make the card usable (use this only after trying item#1 & 2).

Good luck.

Reactions: xjedi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've tried that too with no luck.

Writing to sd card restrictions were placed by Google in KitKat 4.4+ versions as a part of 'system enhancements'. I have rooted my M8 and the following three things worked for me:

1. Buy San Disk or another reputed brand card (authentic, fake/generic one gave me the same error message). Generic one are flimsy and often will give you an error message that card was unmounted unexpectedly.
    2. Removing write-off protection, see the process at: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2701816
    3. If above two methods still give you the same issue, try formatting the card in fat32 format. It will limit the each file size to 2GB but at least will make the card usable (use this only after trying item#1 & 2).

Good luck.