New Dell Mobile Sync software

Search This thread

Godo_PPL

Aug 14, 2009
Tested it last night.. Seems like an unfinished version, it asks me to purchase the full version to be able to sync, not just import :s

And furthermore, dell update screen specifies that this should also have outlook sync capabilities.. I don't understand how that will be possible though.

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App

Agree with the comments above. I also found that after downloading and installing it, it then told me that there were updates available! And of course it requires a reboot each time (why on earth should the installation of a PDA sync program require an operating system reboot?!)

The lack of Outlook synchronisation is a disaster for me. I don't do GMail, and all my contacts/diary/to dos/notes are in Outlook. Windows Mobile Device Centre may have had its problems, but at least it let me synchronise my WinMo phones with Outlook.

Surely Dell can't remove this functionality with the roll-out of 2.2?

lufc

Retired Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Oct 9, 2007
Blackpool UK
www.leedsunited.com
Agree with the comments above. I also found that after downloading and installing it, it then told me that there were updates available! And of course it requires a reboot each time (why on earth should the installation of a PDA sync program require an operating system reboot?!)

The lack of Outlook synchronisation is a disaster for me. I don't do GMail, and all my contacts/diary/to dos/notes are in Outlook. Windows Mobile Device Centre may have had its problems, but at least it let me synchronise my WinMo phones with Outlook.

Surely Dell can't remove this functionality with the roll-out of 2.2?

From what i have read it will do all the outlook stuff but onlly when 2.2 is on board

00roberto00

Nov 3, 2010
its an office 2010 64bit problem, its not an android problem.
ONLY Apple with itunes has made a fix for it, for what i know.

da_jojo

Nov 19, 2006
Utrecht
houseofyu.nl
it is not an office 2010 problem. it is a activesync problem. activesync has no 64 bit support. running office 2010 32 bit on 64 bit windows works fine. the activesync thus also the dell sync program work fine as they rely on activesync.

btw if you look in the market and search for dell you will find the dell (nero) backup program. while you wait for the update to come next week , one can make a backup allready ;)

HansTWN

Oct 22, 2007
Taichung, Taiwan
Works for me with Windows 7 64 bit. First I deleted ADB interface in device manager and restarted. That may not be necessary. After the ADB interface has been reinstalled by Windows I started the new mobile sync manager and it recognized the Streak quickly under devices. After removing the USB connection it may take 1 or 2 tries reseating the USB plug in the computer before the Streak is being recognized again. A little fickle, but it works.

Godo_PPL

Aug 14, 2009
.. And with 1.6 Streak or 2.1 / 2.2?

BTW: I can also get it recognized in Dell Mobile Sync software, but only if i select "Copy media files to/from your computer(MTP)" mode on the streak
On Dell Sync Manager it works in "Charge only" mode..

Last edited:

00roberto00

Nov 3, 2010
if you have office 2010 64 bit there is NO WAY to directly sync outlook contacts (and so on) with ANY device EXCEPT iphone DOT

pappyfire

May 26, 2009
Mentone, AL
Works for me with Windows 7 64 bit. First I deleted ADB interface in device manager and restarted. That may not be necessary. After the ADB interface has been reinstalled by Windows I started the new mobile sync manager and it recognized the Streak quickly under devices. After removing the USB connection it may take 1 or 2 tries reseating the USB plug in the computer before the Streak is being recognized again. A little fickle, but it works.

Where exactly is the ADB interface? I went to control panel/system/device manager and looked through all of the entries, nothing labeled ADB interface was there.

HansTWN

Oct 22, 2007
Taichung, Taiwan
Can you tell me what works? Backup/Restore or Synchronise with Outlook.

Backup/Restore AND synchronize with Outlook both work. A disclaimer here, I use 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate, but still use 32-bit Office 2007, and Outlook is still version 2003.

The first time I tried synchronize the Dell Mobile software crashed. However, after upgrading it works fine now. Remember, to sync you have to have "USB connected" set to "off".

By the way, reconnecting to Dell Mobile Sync always seems to take a few tries of plugging in and re-plugging the USB cable.

Last edited:

HansTWN

Oct 22, 2007
Taichung, Taiwan
.. And with 1.6 Streak or 2.1 / 2.2?

BTW: I can also get it recognized in Dell Mobile Sync software, but only if i select "Copy media files to/from your computer(MTP)" mode on the streak
On Dell Sync Manager it works in "Charge only" mode..

The Dell Mobile Sync will only work if you have the "Dell Sync" app on your Streak. It did come with Steve's 2.2 version 1.2 (what I am using now) and, presumably, will be included in the official Froyo. To sync 1.6 or 2.1 you can use the original Dell software.

Sep 17, 2010
Other Outlook Sync Methods

For those who cannot sync because they use Outlook 2010 64 bit or are having other problems, there are other solutions to sync Outlook with the Streak. syncdroid.net lists most of them in a chart. Cross reference the software with what you want to sync (calendar, contacts, notes, tasks), how you want to sync (wireless, wi-fi, usb), and your Outlook version to get your solutions. Many of them are free.

Keethos

Jan 15, 2009
Warwickshire
Slightly off topic but is there anyway of stopping the Dell Sync app from appearing on my phone when I connect it to my PC as I now just sync with google contract and google calendar and have no need for Dell Sync?

What exactly is included with the new sync software?

According to this site http://www.syncdroid.net/dell-mobile-sync, the new (Nero) version of Dell Mobile Sync will only synchronise Contacts from Outlook, and will not synchronise Calendar, Tasks or Notes. It also says that Dell are removing their Tasks and Notes applications from the 2.2 build.

Can anybody who has upgraded to 2.2 please confirm that this is the case?