[ROM] Liberation v3.0 [Updated 01/06/2012]

Search This thread

jaykresge

Nov 8, 2010
Jay,

I would imagine a port of those pulldown toggles would be difficult because it is based off of different framework, correct?

I'm still digging into the framework to see what's changed and what hasn't. This seems to be the same version of Sense with minor tweaks. I'll report back with my findings, but these kinds of modifications are usually left to the experts in that field (IE, not me!).

Reactions: tincbtrar

josh0426

Nov 12, 2009
Southern Illinois
Liberation v2.00 is running fine. Still a little early to tell on the kernel and battery life. None of my previous mods will work with this. I guess Ill just have to wait for mods. I havnt ran into any hiccups at all with this Rom, smooth as butta.

D

Deleted member 2776902

Last edited by a moderator:

darthlukan

Aug 24, 2009
I am loving v2 Beta right now! Fast, seemingly stable, and working google talk :) Thanks for the awesome work!

s197

Jun 28, 2010
No dice. Actually after a random reboot the camera side of the EVO apk was working. But any video would force close.

wamsille

Mar 12, 2009
Slick ROM. Everything worked right from the beginning without any need to tweak or modify settings. Just flashed the leaked May radio as well. Love the boost I had to the signal strength. I average mid 80's and 90's at the office. First time in a while I'm in the mid 70's. Honestly, if the Incredible started off like this, the Incredible 2 would have had to provide much more than the incremental improvements it came with.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Liberation

"Free yourself from your carrier"

Features:

• [ROM Base] HTC Droid Incredible 4.08.605.2
    • Android 2.3.4
    • De-bloated
    • Deodexed
    • Battery percentage
    • 4-in-1 advanced power menu
    • Removed E911 location icon
    • Red scrollbar and overscroll glow to complement the Incredible's looks
    • Zip-aligned for optimal memory management
    • CDROM.ISO removed (prevents that annoying Verizon install prompt when connected via USB)
    • Uses edify script, will flash in Clockwork Recovery 2.x and 3.x.

Removed Apps:
    • Adobe Flash Player (install from Android Market if you want it)
    • Adobe Reader (install from Android Market if you want it)
    • Amazon MP3 (install from Android Market if you want it)
    • CityID (annoying 3rd party bloatware)
    • Facebook (install from Android Market if you want it)
    • Slacker Radio (install from Android Market if you want it)
    • QuickOffice (for those who want a free Office reader, try Documents to Go from the Android Market)
    • Verizon Bloatware (My Verizon, VCAST App Store, Verizon Navigator, Verizon Skype, Verizon Backup; most can be installed via Android Market)
    • Youtube (install from Android Market if you want it)
    Downloads:

Changelog:

• v3.0 (January 6, 2012)
      • Based on the latest official RUU - 4.08.605.2 (Android 2.3.4)
      • Red scrollbar and overscroll glow to complement the Incredible's looks

• v2.0 (September 20, 2011)
      • Based on the latest official RUU - 4.06.605.3 (Android 2.3.4)
      • System hardware information corrected in about phone (bug with official OTA)
      • Removed Sprint section/tile from Market, replaced with Verizon (bug with official OTA)
      • Only 688MB available to user (see explanation in FAQ)
      • No longer patched to block Android Market malware (Android 2.2.2 and above are immune by default)

• v1.1 (June 25, 2011)
      • Added battery percentage meter.
      • More efficient compression (smaller file size)

• v1.0 (May 19, 2011)
      • Initial Release based on November OTA (3.21.605.1)
    How to customize Liberation BEFORE you flash:

Materials

• Windows - 7-ZIP
    • Linux - nothing
    • Mac OS X - nothing (note, I have not done this on Mac OS X, so I cannot support this OS)
    Steps

1. Download the above mentioned file(s) for Windows. You can use a different archive manager if you'd like, but my guide is based on using 7-ZIP.
    2. On your desktop, create a folder named "Test." You can name it whatever you want, but I'll be referring to it as "Test" in this guide. If you are new at this, you need to follow the guide to the letter.
    3. Find your downloaded ROM and extract it to the Test folder. The easiest way to do this on Windows is to open the ROM, highlight all of the folders/files (CTRL-A), copy (CTRL-C), then open the Test folder and paste (CTRL-V). Give it a minute to extract the contents.
    4. Once you complete step three, modify the ROM to your hearts content (see details below). Once complete, proceed to step five.
    5. Open the Test folder and highlight everything (CTRL-A). Right click and select "Add to Archive." This will open 7-ZIP's archive manager. On Linux or Mac OS X, just right-click (or equivalent) and select "Compress."
    6. In the options menu that comes up, leave everything at default except the following. The filename should be Test.zip (change Test to whatever you want). Archive format should be zip. Compression level should be ultra. That's it.
    7. Once done, you can copy this zip to your SD card and flash as normal. Keep in mind that I am not responsible for any changes that you made in this ROM, so make sure you Nandroid BEFORE you flash.
    Specific Modifications (using the above instructions):
    • Ringtones - While the ROM is unzipped, open the test folder and look for /system/media/audio. Within this folder you'll see several more folders (Ringtones, Alarms, Notifications). Any should files you put here will show up in the system when you go to change your ringtone (or whatever corresponds to the folder). The benefits to this modification include; no storage space used up in internal, phone, or SD storage; ringtone works even if SD is USB mounted, no errors when the SD card corrupts or is in use. The ringtones (alarms/notifications) are stored in a partition that does NOT count towards your file storage :)
    • Replacement "stock" applications - If you use a differnent web browser (like Dolphin HD or Firefox), or a different SMS/MMS program (like Handcent or Chomp), then it is recommended that you remove the stock applications before flashing. This prevents conflicts, slowdown, memory usage, and the annoying popup where you have to constantly re-choose your default application. In these examples, you are looking for /system/app/browser.apk and mms.apk.
    • Add/Remove apps you don't want - Navigate to /system/app, and remove any APK files that you don't want. If you don't know what app it is, do NOT remove it
    • Modify Bootup Animation/Sound - Navigate to the /system/customize/resource/ folder. In there, you will see two files; VZW_bootanimation.zip an VZW_Droid.mp3. These files are the bootup animation and "Droid" noise. Simply delete the MP3 if you want a silent bootup. It really is that easy. Replace the ZIP File with another zipped animation (must give it the same name) to replace the animation with one of your own. NOTE: Make sure you verify compatibility. If unsure, don't do it.
    D
    Deleted member 2776902
    I've uploaded my copy to Mediafire, I still think this is one of the best pure, debloated, stock ROM's.

Here it is Liberation v3.0
    FAQ:
    Q: What was the difference between the standard and enhanced versions of Liberation?
    A: In simple terms, Liberation Enhanced was deodexed, while the standard version was not. However, since the Gingerbread update, HTC has deodexed the /system/app folder, but has left framework odexed. I've decided to just deodex everything instead of having two separate versions with minimal differences in available storage, but vast differences in customization.

Q: Why is the Android Market outdated!?
    A: If I insert the latest market, it won't update on its own, meaning more work for you. The version of the market I'm using is outdated, but auto updates. It will update in the background the first time that you run it, and should be updated within 2-5 minutes depending on your connection. You'll need to exit and re-launch the Market for the update to take effect.

Q: Some of my Google Apps (such as Gmail) are an old version, but don't show up on the Market as installed or needing an update. How do I fix this?
    A: This is a bug or "feature" of the stock ROM, I'm not sure which. However, it as a very easy fix. Simply open Gmail from the Android Market. From there, scroll down to "Developer Info" and select "View Applications." This will display all of Google's apps in the market. Scroll down and update every app that shows as needing an update (they'll all display correctly from here). You may also want to disable automatic updates from here.

Q: Why isn't <insert app here> removed, I consider it to be bloat!
    A: HTC did their best to put together an experience utilizing their Sense software. I left that intact as every user will get something out of it. Some use Friend Stream. Some use only Facebook/Twitter/Flickr. There is no perfect combination as every user wants something different. My goal was to present a stock experience without the carrier bloat. There are ways for you to remove unwanted apps yourself if you'd like.

Q: Why aren't there any screen shots?
    A: It's a stock ROM. I've done nothing to differentiate this ROM in appearance from what your carrier/OEM ships.
    It's up, enjoy. Hot reboot doesn't work, and after talking to Wdfowty, I don't think it will be working. We've both ditched our Incredibles, so unless someone else gets it working or another stock-based ROM has it working, I don't see it being fixed anytime soon.

I said that I'd stop development after 2.1, and here I am doing 3.0 due to the requests of a few users. So, I won't say that this is the last version, but I will say that I don't plan to do any further development without having an Incredible in hand. Doing this without a phone to do my own testing was a royal pain in the neck, so I want to thank my testers (you know who you are!) for dealing with me over the past month.