Want to upgrade to the note 2 and keep unlimited data (Without adding a line)

Search This thread

oinop

Jan 23, 2013
Does this loophole work with the current Amazon deal?

I know it wont' work with letstalk, target, and radioshack because they do not let you transfer the equipment to other line. They consider that as "deactivation" and charge you an ETF.

However, Amazon's wording is a little different. It says

"If you transfer this equipment to another carrier's service or to another line in your family account and deactivate the line that Amazon established for your device"

I'm assuming as long as I maintain the dumbphone line, I can transfer the equipment to other line. Does anyone have experience with Amazin Wireless?

LvnInOC

Aug 8, 2010
Huntington Beach
Will you post and let us know how it goes? Thanks so much!

Hey, my apologies for not giving you all my update regarding activating my Note2 which I ordered on upgrade on a "dummy Line" then do a swicth to my line. Well as I am sure most have read all the past comments but here is my report on what I did. Its really simple, All I did is I first used a land line or someone else's Cell phone and got with a CSR !@ Verizon to tell them and have them activate my Note2 to my number not the number used for the upgrade and also verifying with them that i wouldn't lose my unlimited. Then the process was to take the SIM card from My Galaxy Nexus and put it in the Note2 and boot up the Note! Simple as that really, But the important thingg is calling them prior to activating as you only need to switch the SIM card to switch, but buy talking to them at the time of you make sure they keep you on the Unlimited as their system automatically wants to switch you to the Share All the Crap plan. I had no issues or problems with anyone @ Verizon when doing any of this and when I ordered the phone also. So there it is, activated today, Kept Unlimited Data and a non smartphone dumb line on my account for the New every Two upgrade loophole with no issues at all. Good Luck to All..

Character Zero

Aug 22, 2010
Hey, my apologies for not giving you all my update regarding activating my Note2 which I ordered on upgrade on a "dummy Line" then do a swicth to my line. Well as I am sure most have read all the past comments but here is my report on what I did. Its really simple, All I did is I first used a land line or someone else's Cell phone and got with a CSR !@ Verizon to tell them and have them activate my Note2 to my number not the number used for the upgrade and also verifying with them that i wouldn't lose my unlimited. Then the process was to take the SIM card from My Galaxy Nexus and put it in the Note2 and boot up the Note! Simple as that really, But the important thingg is calling them prior to activating as you only need to switch the SIM card to switch, but buy talking to them at the time of you make sure they keep you on the Unlimited as their system automatically wants to switch you to the Share All the Crap plan. I had no issues or problems with anyone @ Verizon when doing any of this and when I ordered the phone also. So there it is, activated today, Kept Unlimited Data and a non smartphone dumb line on my account for the New every Two upgrade loophole with no issues at all. Good Luck to All..

So did you have to call because the Note 2 was new in box? Because when I have bought phones second hand I just move the sim to the new phone, don't have to call Verizon or anything and haven't had an issue with it trying to change my plan.

LvnInOC

Aug 8, 2010
Huntington Beach
So did you have to call because the Note 2 was new in box? Because when I have bought phones second hand I just move the sim to the new phone, don't have to call Verizon or anything and haven't had an issue with it trying to change my plan.

Sort of, yes its a new phone but I was also using an upgrade from another line on my account and transferred the upgrade to my number. I also have in the past just switched the SIM or just activate the phone on the number I wanted ,but since Verizon is so intent on doing away with the Unlimited Data Plans from all the "Grandfathered" customers for any reason what so ever I am not taking any chances of allowing them the opportunity. I called to make sure, that is it.

nomorq

Dec 27, 2007
I upgraded a different line on my account (both were unlimited) when i received the note2 i put the sim from the other line in the note 2.i was expecting the other line to switch to tiered data but it didn't. So far both lines have stayed unlimited. I was told as long as I don't use the subsidized upgrade mi plan remains grandfathered. ..We will see

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

bwpoersch

Jun 26, 2010
Question about the sim card, does it matter if the sim comes from a 3g or 4g phone? I let my wife use my upgrade to get her G3 last year, now her line is coming up for upgrade and I want the Note2 to replace my Incredible2, which has a sim card. Reading thru the previous posts has me confused about how exactly to pull this off without losing my unlimited data. I have 4 lines, 2 dumb phones(upgradeable next month)/1 G3 with 2gb cap/1 Dinc2 still on unlimited. Also checked with Amazon and they confirmed that their upgrade has to stay activated to the line which had the upgrade (i.e. my wife's line) for 181 days or the line will be charged an ETF, so I am guessing that all of the online resellers have a similar restriction, thus definitely NOT worth the $100 you could save by buying from them. Thanks guys.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Character Zero

Aug 22, 2010
Question about the sim card, does it matter if the sim comes from a 3g or 4g phone? I let my wife use my upgrade to get her G3 last year, now her line is coming up for upgrade and I want the Note2 to replace my Incredible2, which has a sim card. Reading thru the previous posts has me confused about how exactly to pull this off without losing my unlimited data. I have 4 lines, 2 dumb phones(upgradeable next month)/1 G3 with 2gb cap/1 Dinc2 still on unlimited. Also checked with Amazon and they confirmed that their upgrade has to stay activated to the line which had the upgrade (i.e. my wife's line) for 181 days or the line will be charged an ETF, so I am guessing that all of the online resellers have a similar restriction, thus definitely NOT worth the $100 you could save by buying from them. Thanks guys.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

So first you need the micro-sim. The Sims in the earlier phones like the thunderbolt had the full size sim. The newer phones like the Galax Nexus, S3, Note 2, etc use a micro sim. Basically the card is big enough to hold the contact pad. So I would just go into the corporate store and get a new sim for free. Also I recently (like last week) gave my S3 to my wife. She had a iPhone 4S and I got her a sim and all and kept her unlimited data. Hope that helps.

bwpoersch

Jun 26, 2010
Moot point I guess, went in today to get the phone and initially the Verizon rep was going to activate from my wife's line, but he informed me that doing it that way would lose my unlimited data. Correctly interpreting the expression on my face, he offered to activate it to one of my dumb phone lines and then move it back, thereby preserving my unlimited data somehow. It sounded like hocus pokery, but apparently it worked.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

IrishWolfhound

Feb 5, 2013
Kansas
I saved up and bought my note 2 for $740 from Best Buy. It's worth it to me to keep the unlimited data plan.

ad78

Mar 22, 2011
Connecticut
Well i just checked my account and a new cycle has started and i still have unlimited data.

When activating. Without choosing the options (data) the next button let you proceed?

This is interesting.. I already have note 2 and I'm eligible for upgrade and don't want to loose the unlimited. I might try this and get one for my wife.

xXJay_RXx

Apr 13, 2010
Okay say if i have a dumb phone line n decide to cancel it. Can I cancel it n then wait some time when another phone I want comes out n then add another line? I'm at my max number of lines

i3oost

Jan 11, 2013
When activating. Without choosing the options (data) the next button let you proceed?

This is interesting.. I already have note 2 and I'm eligible for upgrade and don't want to loose the unlimited. I might try this and get one for my wife.

Correct just hit next and then continue with the rest of the. Activation.

npainter7

Apr 21, 2012
Caldwell
So has anyone else done this as well and confirmed that it worked for you as well?? Not saying it didnt happen for you but just wondering if anyone else has done so and had success. Cuz if so then Im totally gonna do it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

billku

Jun 9, 2011
I guess nobody lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Yes, sorry, I did it last week and it still works, though you have to keep at it. Many reps, both in person and online, will tell you it can't be done, so keep calling and asking until you get one who says it can. That's what I did. Bought an iPhone 5 for my wife using my upgrade online, activated it on a dummy line, then downgraded the dummy line back to a non-smartphone and switched the iPhone to my wife's line. We still have unlimited data on both my line and my wife's line. Again, it took me two calls to get a rep who would do all this for me. But, ultimately, it worked. The only downside, of course, is that my wife switched from Android to Apple. :laugh:

Reactions: npainter7

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
Yes, sorry, I did it last week and it still works, though you have to keep at it. Many reps, both in person and online, will tell you it can't be done, so keep calling and asking until you get one who says it can. That's what I did. Bought an iPhone 5 for my wife using my upgrade online, activated it on a dummy line, then downgraded the dummy line back to a non-smartphone and switched the iPhone to my wife's line. We still have unlimited data on both my line and my wife's line. Again, it took me two calls to get a rep who would do all this for me. But, ultimately, it worked. The only downside, of course, is that my wife switched from Android to Apple. :laugh:

Yeah but your making a $10 a month dummy line right? 10x24 is 240 plus taxes on a $300 phone. Might as well get one off craigslist for 500 and not have a 3rd line with possible activation fee of $35 etc.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

billku

Jun 9, 2011
Yeah but your making a $10 a month dummy line right? 10x24 is 240 plus taxes on a $300 phone. Might as well get one off craigslist for 500 and not have a 3rd line with possible activation fee of $35 etc.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Agreed, though I've had the dummy line for awhile and have since become better educated on how to do all this. The dummy line contract ends in December and I will jettison it at that point. It is difficult to find an iPhone for less than $500 on Craigslist, though, so since I already had the dummy line I decided to use it since it gives me the added benefit of a brand new not-used iphone and the cost works out roughly the same in this case. In the future, I will not use the dummy line's upgrade and therefore will not keep a dummy line active. If you want to use your phone upgrade for a new phone and keep your unlimited data, you will have to start up a dummy line to transfer the upgrade to, use it, then transfer the phone back to your original line and cancel the new dummy line. I think that will work and there will be no 24 month obligation for the dummy line since you didn't use the dummy line upgrade. Am I wrong about this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought my note 2 in a VZW store outright. If you use a lot of data the phone will pay for its self.
    Another loophole is to transfer your upgrade to a dumphone (assuming you have a dumbphone on your account), upgrade that line to a GN2, keeping unlimited on your other lines and adding a tiered plan to this line, activate, deactivate and put the flip phone back on which will cancel the tiered data plan again leaving your other lines untouched, move the GN2 to the line of your choice. You may potentially receive a months data on your next bill. Call 611 and explain the situation and you'll be credited back for the month (minus a day) on your next bill.

I've done it twice now. Enjoy!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    For sure I will ll. I have done this before recently and didn't have a problem. I have 5 lines in all for my family and used one for wife's new phone, But if Verizon wants to keep screwing their long time customers (15+ years) with the bogus share everything crap, I will not have any issues screwing back! For sure ill post back tomorrow after.

Looking forward to it, thanks so much for your help!
    have fun with your Galaxy Note 2,....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
    I just laughed out loud. Exactly what I was thinking.

Well i just checked my account and a new cycle has started and i still have unlimited data.