[Q] Issues installing ANY custom recovery on

Search This thread

h_smith

Oct 19, 2013
NOTE: I'M STILL ON 4.2.2

So I've already rooted my device using motochopper and had no issues, but now I'm trying to install a custom recovery to no luck. I prefer TWRP but every time I try to install via Odin it fails with this message:

<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I've installed the latest drivers and ran ODIN as admin. I tried an older version of TWRP and even ODIN but end with the same result.

When I try via GooManager, it finds the correct version and takes me to the download page, but after the countdown it never downloads and eventually times out.

So then I decided to go CWM via RomManager. It found the correct CWM recovery image and said the install was successful, but when I try to boot into recovery I get the standard Android recover screen with "reboot system" etc.. with the little Android robot with a red triangle coming out of him.

Every method I've tried is failing and I can't figure out why

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
NOTE: I'M STILL ON 4.2.2

So I've already rooted my device using motochopper and had no issues, but now I'm trying to install a custom recovery to no luck. I prefer TWRP but every time I try to install via Odin it fails with this message:

<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I've installed the latest drivers and ran ODIN as admin. I tried an older version of TWRP and even ODIN but end with the same result.

When I try via GooManager, it finds the correct version and takes me to the download page, but after the countdown it never downloads and eventually times out.

So then I decided to go CWM via RomManager. It found the correct CWM recovery image and said the install was successful, but when I try to boot into recovery I get the standard Android recover screen with "reboot system" etc.. with the little Android robot with a red triangle coming out of him.

Every method I've tried is failing and I can't figure out why

I'm assuming you are AT&T SGH-i337?

If so, are you using the LOKI'd versions?

If you don't know what that means, I suggest you do a search and some reading.

If you know what it means and have used the correct version, may be someone else can help.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Sounds like nothing is able to write to the recovery partition. You might consider flashing the stock firmware with odin and starting over.

h_smith

Oct 19, 2013
Sounds like nothing is able to write to the recovery partition. You might consider flashing the stock firmware with odin and starting over.

so is there something wrong I may have done to cause this? I wish GooManager would just download and install as I've had luck using it in the past but it won't for some reason.

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
I'm not sure how much damage you have already done to your recovery partition so you made need to ODIN AMDL stock onto your phone before anything will work. However, here is the TWRP page for this device that also gives instructions on how to install via ADB or Terminal Emulator. Make sure you read EVERYTHING!

http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2/174

Once you get TWRP working, you can flash a compatible version of CWM if you want to.

For future reference NEVER do anything to your phone that you don't read about here on XDA or at least see that people on XDA have tried it and verified it to work. Most sites (I'm not positive about the one you linked) just copy the information from XDA and claim it is there own. Usually, screwing it up some how. So never trust anything outside of XDA or that isn't directly linked to XDA. An example of something to trust is with the TWRP site. You can trust it as long as you make sure you have the correct information and version for your phone. That is your responsibility.

Also, make sure you search and read before asking questions or advice. Most information is already posted and you need to read about everything you are trying to do to your phone. If you follow these guidelines, you should do OK. If you try to cut corners or not search and read, you will end up in a mess. Good luck.