NFC proximity app?

Search This thread

andygold

Aug 20, 2007
Northern NY
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Is there an NFC tag writer that will allow a tag to work in proximity? What I'm looking to do is to mount a peel and stick tag to my car's windshield mount. Then when the phone is in the mount, it will trigger the tasks I've programmed. When i remove the phone from the mount, I'd like the phone to toggle back to the way it was before it was placed into the mount.

I thought i had an app a while ago that would allow this, but i can no longer find it.

Last edited:

andygold

Aug 20, 2007
Northern NY
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I personally haven't tried it, but I did a quick search in the play store for " tasker nfc" and this sounds like it may do the trick for you:

NFC Retag freehttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.widgapp.NFC_ReTAG_FREE

Sent from my Optimus G Pro using xda app-developers app

I have that app and i don't see a proximity setting. BTW, that app allows you to set what i would call macros on your phone. Unlike other NFC apps that write directly to the tag, this one stores the tag's ID on your phone, and then you associate a bunch of commands with that tag ID. So when the phone "sees" the tag, it then executes the stored commands that were stored on the phone, without anything having to be stored on the tag itself.

CapnPez

Nov 1, 2010
Mocksville, NC
OnePlus 8 Pro
I have that app and i don't see a proximity setting. BTW, that app allows you to set what i would call macros on your phone. Unlike other NFC apps that write directly to the tag, this one stores the tag's ID on your phone, and then you associate a bunch of commands with that tag ID. So when the phone "sees" the tag, it then executes the stored commands that were stored on the phone, without anything having to be stored on the tag itself.

Oh, I see what you mean. I hadn't understood what you meant by the "proximity setting" (I've never used NFC tags). Just to be clear, is the difference in that the profile is changed depending on whether the tag is either in contact or not, i.e. car mode when in contact and then detects the loss of connection when removed and restores to previous profile?

Again, I'm not sure if this helps, but I found this thread from a GS3 forum:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2171952

It sounds more like what you were asking, but I'm not sure if it's only for the GS3.

andygold

Aug 20, 2007
Northern NY
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Oh, I see what you mean. I hadn't understood what you meant by the "proximity setting" (I've never used NFC tags). Just to be clear, is the difference in that the profile is changed depending on whether the tag is either in contact or not, i.e. car mode when in contact and then detects the loss of connection when removed and restores to previous profile?

It sounds more like what you were asking, but I'm not sure if it's only for the GS3.

Yeah, I saw that when I searched. That is basically what I'm looking for. The thing is, I could have sworn that at one point I had an app that had proximity built in as standard. Maybe it was just for rooted phones, I don't remember...
I hadn't actually used it back then for proximity, but I thought it was there to be used.

To answer your question, Yes! With proximity, you could set your phone for the normal day to day operation. Then for example, at bed time, you could place your phone into a charging dock that has a peel and stick NFC tag on it's face, and when the phone gets near enough, the tag would activate the tasks you have programmed into the tag. For example, you could turn off WiFi, turn off the ringer, Turn the brightness down to minimum, set a wake alarm/volume/tone, etc... Then, in the morning, when you remove the phone from the dock and it loses proximity with the NFC tag, the tasks will revert to their "daytime" mode, and the brightness will come back up, the WiFi will turn back on, etc...

I realize that all of this can be done by setting the tag to "toggle" functions in that the first swipe of the tag could turn WiFi off, and the next swipe of the same tag would turn it back off, but obviously I don't want to "toggle" by using multiple swipes. I want proximity. (another way would be to use two separate tags near each other and one would be the daytime tag and the other would be for nighttime...)

for the car, I want to turn brightness down a bit (I do most of my driving at night), turn on bluetooth (to sync with my handsfree device), turn WiFi off while driving, start my music app and play a specific playlist, turn the volume up to max (my cassette adapter has very low volume, and the phone automatically lowers the volume when the headphone jack is plugged in), and announce each thing as it is happening (yes that's currently an option)....

Reactions: CapnPez

bogaggas

Apr 12, 2011
Jahra
Might this help you?

I understand that what you're probably looking for is an app to "program the NFC tag" itself but I hope you find this helpful until you find what you are looking for.

You can try using an app like Llama (the location aware Brazilian camel ...) to set different profiles (with settings and all) for home, work, CAR,etc. Have Llama identify the Areas first (Don't worry about car at this point just tweak the settings for the car profile). In the events tap you can define a condition (NFC tag detected) to an action (activate profile A: Car).

For when you arrive to your destination and want your phone settings to change to suite your new location i.e. activate a different profile, you can create an event -also in the events tab- triggered when the condition (Enter/In Area)is met. Llama will then alter your settings to the ones you have set for the new area you arrived to i.e. change Car profile to Home or Work. The reason why you have to create another event to change profiles after you get out of the car, after NFC tag disconnected, is that Llama can't detect when a certain NFC tag is disconnected -my understanding- so you have to create a new trigger to bring about a new event.

Keep us informed of your progress as I am really interested in Automation myself. Cheers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yeah, I saw that when I searched. That is basically what I'm looking for. The thing is, I could have sworn that at one point I had an app that had proximity built in as standard. Maybe it was just for rooted phones, I don't remember...
    I hadn't actually used it back then for proximity, but I thought it was there to be used.

To answer your question, Yes! With proximity, you could set your phone for the normal day to day operation. Then for example, at bed time, you could place your phone into a charging dock that has a peel and stick NFC tag on it's face, and when the phone gets near enough, the tag would activate the tasks you have programmed into the tag. For example, you could turn off WiFi, turn off the ringer, Turn the brightness down to minimum, set a wake alarm/volume/tone, etc... Then, in the morning, when you remove the phone from the dock and it loses proximity with the NFC tag, the tasks will revert to their "daytime" mode, and the brightness will come back up, the WiFi will turn back on, etc...

I realize that all of this can be done by setting the tag to "toggle" functions in that the first swipe of the tag could turn WiFi off, and the next swipe of the same tag would turn it back off, but obviously I don't want to "toggle" by using multiple swipes. I want proximity. (another way would be to use two separate tags near each other and one would be the daytime tag and the other would be for nighttime...)

for the car, I want to turn brightness down a bit (I do most of my driving at night), turn on bluetooth (to sync with my handsfree device), turn WiFi off while driving, start my music app and play a specific playlist, turn the volume up to max (my cassette adapter has very low volume, and the phone automatically lowers the volume when the headphone jack is plugged in), and announce each thing as it is happening (yes that's currently an option)....