OEM Charger and USB cable

Search This thread

Geodude074

Jul 30, 2013
Does anybody know where I can find the OEM Nexus 5 charger and USB cable? The original charger that came with my N5 was misplaced a long time ago (a relative came to visit and took it with them, thinking it was theirs) and I've been stuck with crappy chargers and crappy cables ever since. All the regular USB cables charge at a snail's pace, all the chargers I find don't seem to work either. I'm sick of trying to find a replacement, I'm sick of waiting 4-6 hours for my phone to fully charge. I just want the ORIGINAL OEM charger and cable. No more messing around, no more hoping that I'll get lucky every time I buy a random charger/cable off the internet. I just want the original.

Thanks.

goofball2k

Oct 5, 2010
Ottawa
Does anybody know where I can find the OEM Nexus 5 charger and USB cable? The original charger that came with my N5 was misplaced a long time ago (a relative came to visit and took it with them, thinking it was theirs) and I've been stuck with crappy chargers and crappy cables ever since. All the regular USB cables charge at a snail's pace, all the chargers I find don't seem to work either. I'm sick of trying to find a replacement, I'm sick of waiting 4-6 hours for my phone to fully charge. I just want the ORIGINAL OEM charger and cable. No more messing around, no more hoping that I'll get lucky every time I buy a random charger/cable off the internet. I just want the original.

Thanks.

Genuine BB cables work fine for both the N7 2013 and N4/N5 in my experiences (having owned them all and using BB cables to charge them across various different types of chargers).
As for the charger, I'm using an HTC one that outputs 1A @ 5v and it seems very good, charge time is in the 2-3 hrs depending on how low the battery is. I also use different wall chargers (like the Antec 20A quad charger and the Targus 3.1A dual charger) and car chargers (generic 1A chargers from dx.com) and they charge the phone very well.

I think this is the stock charger equivalent and cable equivalent

http://www.wirelessground.com/lg-usb-travel-charger.html
http://www.wirelessground.com/lgusbdata.html

Last edited:
Reactions: rgao007

Znamir81

Nov 21, 2013
@up
Cable linked isn't equivalent. Bought two of those thinking it was the same. It has AWG28 charging wires, therefore it allows maximum of 800-900mA, where stock cable with the right charger would give you twice more.

I'm using Galaxy S4 charger (2A output) and S4 cable at work and it charges my N5 even faster than the OEM charger (takes about 90 minutes to fully charge from 20%).

Last edited:

Ohgami_Ichiro

Jun 18, 2010
Tacoma
@up
Cable linked isn't equivalent. Bought two of those thinking it was the same. It has AWG28 charging wires, therefore it allows maximum of 800-900mA, where stock cable with the right charger would give you twice more.

I'm using Galaxy S4 charger (2A output) and S4 cable at work and it charges my N5 even faster than the OEM charger (takes about 90 minutes to fully charge from 20%).

Well the stock N5 Charger is a 1.2A charger the S4 Charger is a 2A charger so it'll charge higher.

I decided to do a little fact finding of my own when I was looking at MmmmBacon's Tilted Charger review and he mentioned the difficulty of having a good USB cable. I have several different chargers and cables at my disposal and did a quick test on them. I will try to see about organizing them into a post but I don't really have the time to keep updating it past my initial findings.

But what I have so far is.
Stock HTC Charger (model: TC U250) w/Stock HTC cable= Listed as: 1A/ Current Widget lists: ~900mA
Stock HTC Charger (model: TC U250) w/Black Berry Cable=Listed as 1A/ Current Widget lists: ~900mA
Stock HTC Charger (model: TC U250) w/Older Stock LG Cable=Listed as 1A/ Current Widget lists: ~750-800mA
(Older style) Stock LG Charger (model: STA-U12WR) w/Older Stock LG Cable=Listed as 700mA/ Current Widget lists: ~750-800mA
(Older style) Stock LG Charger (model: STA-U12WR) w/Black Berry Cable=Listed as 700mA/ Current Widget lists: ~650-700mA
(Older style) Stock LG Charger (model: STA-U12WR) w/Stock HTC Cable=Listed as 700mA/ Current Widget lists: ~600-650mA
Pantech Charger (Model: CNR8635) Cable Hardwired= Listed as 700mA/ Current Widget lists: ~650-700mA
Cable Forge Travel Charger Cable Hardwired= Listed as 800mA/ Current Widget lists: ~450-500mA
Sierra Wireless Charger (Was for an old Wi-Fi hotspot, Don't have the hotspot anymore but have the Charger) (Model: SSW-2012A) Stock Cable = Listed as 1.2A/ Current Widget lists: ~1.1A
Sierra Wireless Charger (Model: SSW-2012A) Black Berry Cable = Listed as 1.2A/ Current Widget lists: ~1.0A
Sierra Wireless Charger (Model: SSW-2012A) Stock htc Cable = Listed as 1.2A/ Current Widget lists: ~1.0A
Sierra Wireless Charger (Model: SSW-2012A) Old LG Stock Cable = Listed as 1.2A/ Current Widget lists: ~950mA
Older Blackberry Charger (Model: PSM04A-05RIM(NY)) Hardwired Cable = Listed as 700mA/ Current Widget lists: ~600mA

That's just what's around me at the moment. I tested some stuff at home and found interesting results as well.

MmmmBacon also mentioned the Monoprice Premium USB Cables are a good buy and provide high current. I can't vouch for that but I'll take his word for it since he seems to have done this as well.

Last edited:

Znamir81

Nov 21, 2013
I've been using the HP11 chromebook charger (charges @ 3 amps), and it charges fast as ****.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

No matter how high the amperage output of a charger, anything that has output of 1.6A and above will charge N5 equally fast, since Nexus throttles input amperage to 1650mA, and that is only if you don't use any apps that will get your phone warmer. If your battery temperature reaches 45°C, Nexus will throttle charging amperage to 500mA untill battery cools down.
Anyway, fully charging your Nexus 5 with that maximum amperage takes about 90 minutes from 20%.

dehsA

Oct 31, 2012
Bangkok
Thanks. Additional $22.94 for postage to my country though :( If anyone has a link to these with free or cheap international postage, please let me know :)
How about an alternative?
This article rates the HP TouchPad wall charger as the best overall.
http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html

Here it is on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111230391491
It's $9 with free shipping to my country (Thailand) so I'm assuming it should be the same wherever you are.
As to whether it's genuine, I have no clue but the seller has sold 46 so far. Looks pretty genuine to me though...

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Thanks so much, ordered 4. Steal.
Ordered two myself. Would have ordered more but I'm having someone bring them back to me from the US.

Although I remember using BlackBerry Bold 9700's USB cable to charge one of my old phones and found the micro-USB side to be loose when plugged into the phone. Not sure whether it'll be the same for this one.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks.

Genuine BB cables work fine for both the N7 2013 and N4/N5 in my experiences (having owned them all and using BB cables to charge them across various different types of chargers).
    As for the charger, I'm using an HTC one that outputs 1A @ 5v and it seems very good, charge time is in the 2-3 hrs depending on how low the battery is. I also use different wall chargers (like the Antec 20A quad charger and the Targus 3.1A dual charger) and car chargers (generic 1A chargers from dx.com) and they charge the phone very well.

I think this is the stock charger equivalent and cable equivalent

http://www.wirelessground.com/lg-usb-travel-charger.html
    http://www.wirelessground.com/lgusbdata.html
    This seems to be a popular choice on eBay.
    http://r.ebay.com/Ltoefa
    Two for $5 is a steal.