[Q] USB OTG issue

Search This thread

turbodude555

Feb 24, 2014
Hello folks, long time reader first time poster here.

I was looking around on the net and I'm unable to solve a bizzare issue with USB otg. I have a rooted but stock nexus 7 2nd version, and can use USB otg fine I guess, but here's the problem.

No matter what the size of said USB pen, it's always registered as the same size as the tablet storage. I can't understand this at all and nobody seems to have had this problem so far as I can tell. Done various formatting with apps but its always 12gb like the internal SD. Any advice would be very welcome as I'd very much like to use all of my space on a USB stick haha

varuntis1993

Apr 7, 2013
New Delhi
Hello folks, long time reader first time poster here.

I was looking around on the net and I'm unable to solve a bizzare issue with USB otg. I have a rooted but stock nexus 7 2nd version, and can use USB otg fine I guess, but here's the problem.

No matter what the size of said USB pen, it's always registered as the same size as the tablet storage. I can't understand this at all and nobody seems to have had this problem so far as I can tell. Done various formatting with apps but its always 12gb like the internal SD. Any advice would be very welcome as I'd very much like to use all of my space on a USB stick haha

Are u using stickmount?

varuntis1993

Apr 7, 2013
New Delhi
Yes I am, is it a well known issue then, I assume from your asking? I seem to have found a way around it, so long as I move nothing more than about 3gb a go. No moving folders of many items

I also use stickmount app, it would not show in the storage in settings on stock rom but on a custom rom since they have enabled that feature by default and kernel should support that feature to make it native, they have it under the storage settings but when using stickmount u will see that the misc storage increases and if u click on that u will find usb storage.

Last edited:

turbodude555

Feb 24, 2014
I also use stickmount app, it would not show in the storage in settings on stock rom but on a custom rom since they have enabled that feature by default it has it under the storage settings but when using stickmount u will see that the misc storage increases and other things does increase.

Always says the same storage as the SD, but at least I can use the whole 64gb a couple GB at a time. Just seems to be an error in the system not detecting size beyond 12GB. So as soon as you move a folder of various videos, for example, at say a total of 6gb, it'll scream "noooo not enough space!". But if I do file by file its totally fine. Oh well

varuntis1993

Apr 7, 2013
New Delhi
Always says the same storage as the SD, but at least I can use the whole 64gb a couple GB at a time. Just seems to be an error in the system not detecting size beyond 12GB. So as soon as you move a folder of various videos, for example, at say a total of 6gb, it'll scream "noooo not enough space!". But if I do file by file its totally fine. Oh well

I haven't tried to copy a big file such as 6gb but I use my 16gb pendrive with it and it works fine mainly I copy my nandroid backups of around 2-3 gb. Try a different file browser maybe a problem with that btw Can u tell me what is the file format and size of a single file not a folder and also have u fomatted ur sd card in ntfs or fat 32

Last edited:

turbodude555

Feb 24, 2014
I haven't tried to copy a big file such as 6gb but I use my 16gb pendrive with it and it works fine mainly I copy my nandroid backups of around 2-3 gb. Try a different file browser maybe a problem with that btw Can u tell me what is the file format and size of a single file not a folder and also have u fomatted ur sd card in ntfs or fat 32

Well it was a folder of a selection of files like I said before. About 1 to 2gb videos, my USB pen is 64gb and fat32 format right now as it seems to work the best. ES file explorer is the file browser I use. Like I said at the start, so far as I can tell, I can use all 64gb just fine but only 12 is "registered" as being available, same size as the onboard SD. So long as I move things in 1 to 2gb amounts its fine. Try to do multiple files or one big file and its "No space left"

varuntis1993

Apr 7, 2013
New Delhi
Well it was a folder of a selection of files like I said before. About 1 to 2gb videos, my USB pen is 64gb and fat32 format right now as it seems to work the best. ES file explorer is the file browser I use. Like I said at the start, so far as I can tell, I can use all 64gb just fine but only 12 is "registered" as being available, same size as the onboard SD. So long as I move things in 1 to 2gb amounts its fine. Try to do multiple files or one big file and its "No space left"

I use solid explorer, can u try with that & also a different pendrive.If even then also the problem is there
Go to this link http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-nexus/themes-apps/02-11-2013-stickmount-v2-30-t1400034 and report here with screen shots.

Last edited: