[APP] TomTom Launcher for disabling timeout

Search This thread

zapras

Sep 28, 2007
EDIT:
Having trouble keeping the program focusing, so does not work yet.

It's a basic program which makes sure the display doesn't timeout while TomTom is running. Devices such as the HTC Maple and the HTC Excalibur doesn't support this function natively.

I have only tested it on my HTC Maple and it works fine. The default path to TomTom is \Storage Card\Program Files\Navigator\TomTom Navigator.exe
It comes with two programs, one is for launching TomTom and the other one is to change the default path. I suggest copying the files into your TomTom folder, but it doesn't matter. Remember to create a shortcut to the launcher and add it to your startmenu for easy access.

It could work on the HTC Excalibur but I haven't tested yet, so If someone could test and reply to this thread, that would be great.

Attachments

• TomTomLauncher.zip
    16.8 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

onesolo

Apr 18, 2006
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Nexus 5
Hmm?!? I've been using WinMo for quite some years, since Qtek S200 and also serveral different versions of TomTom, 5 6 and 7, and I never, but never saw my pda going timeout due to TomTom...
The same I cannot say of iGo8...

burnes

Apr 9, 2007
Glasgow, UK
Hmm?!? I've been using WinMo for quite some years, since Qtek S200 and also serveral different versions of TomTom, 5 6 and 7, and I never, but never saw my pda going timeout due to TomTom...

I think the timeout being referred to is when you have a PIN setup? I am going to download and try on Diamond - will post result.

Ross202

May 17, 2008
Sydney
Can it be used for Garmin as well?

I don't know about Tom Tom but I have the same issue with Garmin - could you modify this app so that it will so the same for Garmin? WOuld be greatly appreciated:D

zapras

Sep 28, 2007
Your right, I've used the HTC Universal and that work fine for TomTom. But with phones such as the HTC Excalibur and now my phone the HTC Maple, the TomTom times out. So the problem probably vary with different phones and maybe even different TomTom version.

I don't know about Tom Tom but I have the same issue with Garmin - could you modify this app so that it will so the same for Garmin? WOuld be greatly appreciated:D
Have you tried using this program with Garmin as well? Even though it says its for tomtom it could be used for other programs.
If it doesn't work its probably because your device has a different pvDevice name than my HTC Maple. The pvDevice name is needed to access the power functions on the phone (Mine is BKL1: ). What is your device name? I could check the pvDevice name and update the program to work with your phone and my phone :)

Ross202

May 17, 2008
Sydney
Same issue with Garmin

Have you tried using this program with Garmin as well? Even though it says its for tomtom it could be used for other programs.
If it doesn't work its probably because your device has a different pvDevice name than my HTC Maple. The pvDevice name is needed to access the power functions on the phone (Mine is BKL1: ). What is your device name? I could check the pvDevice name and update the program to work with your phone and my phone :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am currently using my old iMate JasJam (runs wm6.1) as the GPS chip on my HD2 died. It is - hopefully - being repaired as we speak. However, as I am off to the Czech Republic in a week for a holiday I may have to use it instead. Nothing worse than having to restart the phone every 5 min as you are walking around trying to see the sights.

Don't know what "pvDevice name" is or where to find it. Under Device settings in wm6.1 it says my model no is Herm100 and Platform is PocketPC using CRCs rom version r13.5 but I'm guessing that's not what you are referring to.

I will try just installing it and see what happens. Any further help would be greatly appreciated as this app would be brilliant.:D

Edit: 1: Just edited the "Save TomTom.exe path" file to point the Tom Tom Navigator launcher to Garmin instead. This has worked to launch Garmin instead of Tom Tom but it still cuts out after a few minutes. I also have S2U2 running so I will add Garmin to the Exceptional Exe list on that and see if that helps.

Edit: 2: Still turned itself even after adding to S2U2 Exceptional Exe's!

Last edited:

zapras

Sep 28, 2007
Thanks for the prompt reply. I am currently using my old iMate JasJam (runs wm6.1) as the GPS chip on my HD2 died. It is - hopefully - being repaired as we speak. However, as I am off to the Czech Republic in a week for a holiday I may have to use it instead. Nothing worse than having to restart the phone every 5 min as you are walking around trying to see the sights.

Don't know what "pvDevice name" is or where to find it. Under Device settings in wm6.1 it says my model no is Herm100 and Platform is PocketPC using CRCs rom version r13.5 but I'm guessing that's not what you are referring to.

I will try just installing it and see what happens. Any further help would be greatly appreciated as this app would be brilliant.:D

Edit: 1: Just edited the "Save TomTom.exe path" file to point the Tom Tom Navigator launcher to Garmin instead. This has worked to launch Garmin instead of Tom Tom but it still cuts out after a few minutes. I also have S2U2 running so I will add Garmin to the Exceptional Exe list on that and see if that helps.

Edit: 2: Still turned itself even after adding to S2U2 Exceptional Exe's!

Im really sorry. I just did a full test today and It seems even I can't get it working :(. The screen stays on but it loses focus after a while. I'll start working on it now!

When you say "cuts out after a few minutes" is that the display turning off? Or just Garmin losing focus?

Ross202

May 17, 2008
Sydney
Nothing to apologise for - just to have someone develop such an app and make it available for free is a privilege - wish I had the knowledge and skills to do it.

To answer your question, the screen turns off - I have to press the screen-on button at the side of the jasjam, then navigate to the Garmin program launch icon and press it. The program comes back up to where it left off so I guess it must still be running in the background. Of course, when I am on external power this is not a problem - it keeps running. OK in the car but not much good when walking around.

I have noticed that in System/Backlight settings the screen is set to turn off after 5min when on Battery Power so I have unchecked this option, ie screen shouldn't ever turn off. This seems to be working; however, when Garmin is turned off I then have to remember to reset the backlight-off timeout otherwise I'll quickly have a flat battery.

Nowhere near as elegant as your app promises to be.

Have had Garmin running for past 10 min while I have been typing/composing this reply and it hasn't dropped out ..... yet.

What do you mean by "losing focus"

Ross202

May 17, 2008
Sydney
Further to above, I have had Garmin running non-stop since the above post - 30 min - so unchecking the "turn off screen backlight" seems to have done the trick. Now I just have to go through the nausea of manually checking it again in he system properties.

Thanks for your assistance.

zapras

Sep 28, 2007
What do you mean by "losing focus"
Its just like your desktop, when you are doing something in a window, be it typing, mouse clicking etc, you are focused to that window. But as soon as you click another window your focus changes to that window. So whats happening with this program is its focused on TomTom for around 30s but then it is losing focus to something in the background. Nothing visually happens on the screen, but as soon as I press a key it switches to the background. :(

It sounds like even the backlight doesn't stay on for you...

Hopefully I can figure this problem out by soon, when I do, ill post :)

Ross202

May 17, 2008
Sydney
For your info, I have two settings that seem to be relevant both related to Battery Power:

1. Settings>System>backlight>battery power> uncheck "turnoff backlight if device not used for ..."

2. Settings>System>power>advanced> on battery power> uncheck "turnoff device if device not used for ..."

When the Garmin first turned itself off I noted that "1" was checked and set to 5 minutes and "2" was checked and set to 2 minutes. 2 minutes seemed to be the time it took before the phone/screen turned itself off. Once I unchecked "1" the setting @ "2" was irrelevant.

Re loss of focus - no, the screen went blank. When I pressed the power on button for the screen the "today" screen came back up. I then pressed the program launcher>Garmin and Garmin resumed where it had left off.

Hope this helps. Regards Ross