[ICS] Nyan Colonel v5 (Atarashii) Voodoo & No Voodoo

Search This thread

webslasher

Jul 4, 2011
Malang
The green film covering was because your gamma setting in voodoo color is too low, I'm not sure about the 1,4 ghz oc as I'm now rock solid @1,2ghz

incisivekeith

Jan 27, 2009
The green film covering was because your gamma setting in voodoo color is too low, I'm not sure about the 1,4 ghz oc as I'm now rock solid @1,2ghz

Thanks. I'm on 1.2 now and so far so good. What setting are you using for gamma? I didn't touch that setting to begin with.

Edit: I changed gamma to "Default for 2.3.3" and the green film effect is gone. Thanks for the pointer.

Marcusant, could you provide a patch, or in the next version, to allow for natural color schemes without any overlays? Thanks.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

Last edited:

TeamERA

Nov 2, 2011
Everywhere
Your on fire my friend ;) Talk to you on irc soon. Oh and ofcourse Im going to run this.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

neonymbus

Feb 25, 2012
Worthington
This kernel is amazing, the color is unreal its like I have a brand new phone. I didn't even know kernels could make the display different. Sound is awsome as well. I have tried a lot of kernels and this one is by far the best. Good job bro.

Sent from my SPH-D700 4.0.4 using xda premium

webslasher

Jul 4, 2011
Malang
Thanks. I'm on 1.2 now and so far so good. What setting are you using for gamma? I didn't touch that setting to begin with.

Edit: I changed gamma to "Default for 2.3.3" and the green film effect is gone. Thanks for the pointer.

Marcusant, could you provide a patch, or in the next version, to allow for natural color schemes without any overlays? Thanks.

My voodoo color gamma setting is

R -24
G -25
B -23

Any lower than that will result a green tint when waking up the display.
There's a thread on nexus s forum about best setting of samoled + voodoo color. Can't remember the link as I'm on my phone now

Reactions: Armandopjr

saramon

Jan 19, 2011
Salt Lake City
Not sure why, but I can't get 100mhz to be used... anyone else have that trouble?

Just flashed over from shadow, which didn't, it used 100mhz like a dream...

thomasskull666

Sep 24, 2010
St. Louis

It isn't an overlay, it's a direct modification to the screen driver.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

sonarchist

Mar 27, 2011
Washington, DC
:cool::D:p:) excellent work marcusant!

Nice touch w/ NSTools VoltageControl combination........appreciating this kernel tons, thank you very much for this.

.........sent from today's android = 4.0.4

Last edited:

Trident

Sep 1, 2005
Disney World
Also NSTool won't let me set battery charge to above 96%. Not sure if that is relevant to the kernel or if that is an app "feature" though.

I noticed the same thing. [It does still say 100% in the status bar.]
Also curious. I just flashed and had already installed NStool and on reboot I get a popup saying "Android is upgrading..." and then it went throught a list of apps... now on bootscreen. Did this have something to do with the kernel or NSTools?

Last edited:

thomasskull666

Sep 24, 2010
St. Louis
I noticed the same thing. [It does still say 100% in the status bar.]
Also curious. I just flashed and had already installed NStool and on reboot I get a popup saying "Android is upgrading..." and then it went throught a list of apps... now on bootscreen. Did this have something to do with the kernel or NSTools?

ICS introduced the app upgrading system, most likely this was caused when you flashed the kernel and the system detected a change and upgraded.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

darklichny

Dec 27, 2011
NYC
Using this with my homebrewed miui...

This is awesome, love it... colors look great... was getting a weird miniblind-like washdown with the nyan v3 that was stock with this miui... its gone now... battery was fantastic until i got into a sms pokewar (have auto-poke) apparently 800 pokes via sms eats battery...

Great work!

mucus_android

Jan 20, 2011
New York
thanks again marcusant for all your hard work, i'm loving the colors!
but i miss the scary scaling option.
you did say though that ondemand was tweaked, so maybe i'm gonna fall in love with it again

dps33

Oct 4, 2008
Saginaw
I downloaded but can not install, I am getting E Certificate error.
Do I just try to download again or is it a permisison issue. I am on CM9 Beta 2.

Edited:
Nevermind, I guess I had to put it in root of SDCARD to install. Did not like it from sub dir.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please try shadow, samurai, and stock kernels also for a bit to see what one you like best! Don't choose a kernel because everyone else likes it or because it has a long feature list and fancy new shiny things.

6b32ae90-01ca-47b8.jpg

This is a kernel, not a full ROM... please use AOKP, MIUI4, or CM9 with this...

Atarashii - New/Fresh - This kernel was made to revolutionize what all of the current 'normal' Epic kernels have. I have added in tweaks and mods that were never before seen on the Epic, long forgotten, and from other devices such as the Nexus S and i9000.

Hopefully (probably) most other kernel developers will implement these new features and help keep the Epic current.

I prefer that you use NSTools to overclock and undervolt and do other tweaks. It is more featured than Voltage Control and this kernel supports it better. Voltage Control works fine too but I recommend uninstalling all cpu tools you have and installing NSTools.

I am not responsible to ANYTHING that happens to you or your phone as a result of using this kernel. Most things in this are experimental to a point but have been tested and confirmed safe.

Some of these features have NEVER been used before on the Epic, so don't expect everything that you are used to. Things can and will be different than usual.

Feature List

• Voodoo Sound v10 by Supercurio
    • Voodoo Color by Supercurio
    • Optimized compiler flags by netarchy and Ezekeel
    • Live OC (on the fly bus overclock) by Ezekeel (Use NSTools app, not voltage control)
    • Custom Undervolt by Ezekeel (Use NSTools app, not voltage control)
    • Misc. bugfixes
    • Battery Life eXtender (BLX) v1 by Ezekeel
    • OS tools compiled with O3
    • Swappiness set to 10 from 60 (Rodderik)
    • Voodoo mDNIe (keeps text sharp and backgrounds don't look like crap)
    • Defconfig tweaks
    • Overclocking (no need for enabling crap in Voltage Control)
    • Undervolting both via Voltage Control and NSTools (Ezekeel & nubecoder)
    • Tweaked ondemand
    • Tweaked conservative
    • Optimized SIO
    • Optimized deadline
    • Added TINY_PREEMPT_RCU
    • Added optimized CRC32 algorithm
    • Optimized ARM RWSEM algorithm
    • JHash 3
    • Added SLQB memory allocator
    • Add 3 Button Reboot
    • Increase default readahead to 1024kB
    • Voodoo Color defaults that do not suck
    • Allow CPU-supported unaligned accesses
    • Some SD/MMC tweaks (might reduce wakelocks)
    • mDNIe is enabled but tweaked to look good
    • Swag

Major thanks

• Ezekeel
    • Team Glitch
    • Epiccm team
    • bbelos
    • nubecoder
    • nullghost
    • rodderik
    • supercurio
    • Aprosamurai
    • thomasskull666
    • Many many others

Source
    https://github.com/marcusant/Atarashii

Download
    v5 w/ Voodoo: http://marcusant.com/nyankernel/epic/nyan_v5_perm.zip
    a0e5cca4fdc856c4468f8188e5d0c871

v5 w/o Voodoo: http://marcusant.com/nyankernel/epic/nyan_v5_perm_noVoodoo.zip
    ce52381883c180a09aefb2e3e427e730

Replace TWRP with CWM (flash within TWRP with inject off): http://marcusant.com/android/epic/restore-cwm.zip
    Changelog​

v5 WiP
    -Update to beta3 of cm9
    -Change DVFS relayed things
    -Cypress touch key fixes
    -Update to kernel 2.35.13 (still listed as .7)
    -Switch to git SHA1
    -Add boot progress bar
    -Switch to crespo mdnie
    -Reduce log buffer size
    -Battery updates from infuse
    -KSM
    -ULP_FREQ lowered to 400mhz
    -Sysfs control for capacitive lights
    -Glibc versions of string and memcopy
    -Add proportional rate reduction
    -Fix Google Maps
    -Increase USB strength
    -More

v4.1
    -Fix green flashing to some extent

v4.2
    -Add TWRP (may go back to CWM) (Dees-Troy)

v4.3
    -Add some misc stuff
    -Switched to voodoo color settings from bbelos
    -Fixed some sleeping stuff and 100mhz (mkasick)
    -Increase USB strength
    -Add sysfs control for softkeys (bbelos)
    -Update to current beta3 of CM9 (still works on AOKP and older CM9 builds)
    -Fixed GMaps​
    Please uninstall NSTools if you have deep sleep issues and use Voltage Control.

Hehe...this sounds kinda like those medication commercials with all the side effects that seem much worse than what you're trying to treat in the first place:

"Ask your doctor about Nyan Colonel. Tell your doctor if you see flashes of green when you open your eyes, as this could be a serious eyeball gamma problem. Don't take Nyan Colonel if you have liver, kidney, or colon problems or if you have deep sleep issues. Side effects include overclocking, snappy menu response, increased battery life, and spontaneous fits of laughter when hearing the phrase "I love my iPhone"

You have to remember that I am not making this for YOU or even the community. I make this for MYSELF...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2