Camera Quality on Moto G - is it really this bad?

Search This thread

emyllis

Dec 19, 2005
So I bought a camera for my wife, and we're really unhappy with the camera - I read reviews indicating it was average but compared to loads of the sample shots seen online, appear to be way below what is acceptable :(

161koea.jpg

This was taken a few minutes ago - but clearly shows the quality issues...

Is it really as bad as this? Other people seem to be getting very reasonable results!

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully reply.

boldfilter

Feb 26, 2009
So I bought a camera for my wife, and we're really unhappy with the camera - I read reviews indicating it was average but compared to loads of the sample shots seen online, appear to be way below what is acceptable :(

161koea.jpg

This was taken a few minutes ago - but clearly shows the quality issues...

Is it really as bad as this? Other people seem to be getting very reasonable results!

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully reply.

If you're the kind of person who knows enough to know what to look for to depict if a camera is bad or not than it's probably not what you're looking

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Free mobile app

GoneTomorrow

Oct 13, 2012
Looks way too soft for an outdoor shot. Make sure there isn't any sweat or oil coating on the lens. I find mine can often get stuff from my hands, which impairs the quality. I always give the lens a quick wipe with my shirt before taking important photos.

larkim

May 22, 2013
I agree with Gone Tomorrow - the biggest problem I have seems to be the lens getting mucky. It's not the best camera in the world, but for the usual shots of kids growing up, tourist photos etc its perfectly usable.

I

MeltingSnowman

Dec 11, 2011
Maybe the software post processing on stock camera is too high. Do you think it's possible to find a camera app with low post processing overall? :)

juanchotazo99

May 9, 2013
Well, motorola has acknowledged there's an issue.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/e2f2722bfc?commentId=801623#801623

We’ve been exploring several options to improve the camera. Some items are already on the list – we will fix the intermittent split-flash problem that produces a picture split into light and dark halves. We are working on the intermittent red-tint issue. Other areas are more difficult because any change to improve one area will create other artifacts -- and someone will object to those.

That being said, we have a plan to improve, and much of it is based on the feedback gathered from this thread and others. Thank you. It won’t be fast because it requires changes beyond what we can do through updates to the Camera app itself. But we’re going to make changes that in addition to the items above, should improve sharpness and detail.

I cannot comment on the timing of updates, so I can only ask for patience as we work through this. And again, thanks for the feedback; the photos and observations posted and sent via email were instrumental in helping us get to this point.

Probably that timing will be for Android L's release on our phone.

EDIT: Meanwhile, make sure the lens is always clear, and take pictures using the continuous mode. That is, tap on the screen as if you were to take a picture, but hold it. Once you see 1,2,3,etc numbers, you can release. That's the number of pictures taken.

The thing is, taking pictures that way, they turn out sharper and a bit noisier.. but much better overall. Afterwards you can delete the extra ones and keep the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: teffers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, motorola has acknowledged there's an issue.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/e2f2722bfc?commentId=801623#801623

We’ve been exploring several options to improve the camera. Some items are already on the list – we will fix the intermittent split-flash problem that produces a picture split into light and dark halves. We are working on the intermittent red-tint issue. Other areas are more difficult because any change to improve one area will create other artifacts -- and someone will object to those.

That being said, we have a plan to improve, and much of it is based on the feedback gathered from this thread and others. Thank you. It won’t be fast because it requires changes beyond what we can do through updates to the Camera app itself. But we’re going to make changes that in addition to the items above, should improve sharpness and detail.

I cannot comment on the timing of updates, so I can only ask for patience as we work through this. And again, thanks for the feedback; the photos and observations posted and sent via email were instrumental in helping us get to this point.

Probably that timing will be for Android L's release on our phone.

EDIT: Meanwhile, make sure the lens is always clear, and take pictures using the continuous mode. That is, tap on the screen as if you were to take a picture, but hold it. Once you see 1,2,3,etc numbers, you can release. That's the number of pictures taken.

The thing is, taking pictures that way, they turn out sharper and a bit noisier.. but much better overall. Afterwards you can delete the extra ones and keep the best.