How many times you have dropped your NEXUS 5 ?

Search This thread

[hfm]

Aug 21, 2009
NYC
I've had mine since the first shipment in 11/2013. I've dropped it quite a few times, still looks mint. No case or protector, I don't like them.

JayR_L

Jan 3, 2014
Moncton
I do not like cases myself but I have the SPIGEN Ultra Hybrid (amazon.ca) case. My phone only looks slightly less beautiful than by itself - but the case itself is very elegant and well suited to the Nexus 5. I dropped it 3 or so times, once on pavement, since the time I purchased it in November. I didn't suspect their "air cushion" thing was anything more than laughable, but upon dropping the phone, impacts actually feel/sound less thumpier... I hate cases but for $11.99 on Amazon.ca, I think this one will at least protect my investment lol. It also has edges that protrude so the screen doesn't take the brunt of an impact.

rootSU

Apr 17, 2014
Google
one year since i have my beloved nexus 5 now, have dropped so many times that i had lost the count, but yesterday was the worst fall for it, went for trekking when it fell off my pocket while trying to climb a rock, took some bumps with the rocky wall and fell on the gritty floor 15 feet down on it's face, luckily nothing happened to the device apart from some sand on the screen, thanks to Slim Armour and a cheap tempered glass protector. :)
Then took this memoir of the place where it fell: :p
4uXIkFo.jpg

bastardinator

Jul 5, 2012
Several.

At least 10 times with a slim case on.

It's a tad dented in the corners and the headphone jack has a hairline crack...

bukithd

Jun 26, 2011
Virginia
How many times you dropped your phone without case ? What happened ? Did it survived ?
Can nexus get destroyed in single drop ?

Do you suggest other users to use case just to save it from an unfortunate drop ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Dropped it once. I had a slim case on it so not really a case but more of a scratch stopper. It shattered when it hit the ground and I was sad. I've since moved on to a Oneplus.

neoXvirus

Jan 9, 2014
Boonies
Ive drop mine about 5 good times on the pavement mainly from having it in my lap when i exit a car. I dropped it from a moving truck in the same way and I was terrified haha. It now has some deep scuffs on the rim but havent craxked or scratched the screen. Overall very tuff phone imo. I had a galaxy s2 once and it fell off the nightstand onto a tiled floor and shattered the screen. I was shocked cause the nightstand was only about 17 inches high.

procitysam

May 5, 2014
Cincinnati
Bought mine used with a cracked screen already (hopefully fixing soon), but the other night I dropped it for the 5th time maybe, and at the time I didn't notice anything. The next morning I saw what I thought was a piece of dirt, but it turned out to be a new crack meeting an old one... And it's in the middle of the screen lol. The Google case didn't do very much because it landed face down.

Sent from my Nexus 5 with the N5X LRX22G ROM

humzaahmed155

Dec 30, 2011
London
I just dropped mine face first from 5ft up. Landed clean on its face, completely destroyed the nilkin screen protector, the screen itself is mint and the sides haven't taken damage. #win

my2sense

Jan 12, 2010
Arghh, some guy just bumped into me and my phone dropped 4.5ft flat onto concrete on its back. It made the loudest thud sound. I was in the middle of swiping a message so screen was on.

A few scuff marks on one of the corners but no damage. Phone is totally naked. I'm impressed with the durability of our phones.

SoTacMatt

Jan 7, 2009
Tacoma, WA
I was on a bike ride. The Nexus 5 was in a battery on a phone mount on my bike. Near the end of the long ride I had to get off the curb past the freeway entrance and back up the curb.
As soon as I got off the curb, the phone popped up and off the battery pack attached to the phone mount.
I just FREAKED OUT!! As a result, I jammed on the bike brakes and flipped off the bike. My shoes fell off and I landed on the asphalt.
My buddy is like "are you ok?"
Frightened about a possible shattered screen, I slowly reached over and and picked up my face down Nexus 5.
Just a few slight scratches.
"My phones fine, I'm ok."
He's like - "are you ok??"
"Yes! My phones fine, I'm ok!"

Till this day, I've still never used a screen protector. It flipped off my bike and landed face down on the asphalt road.
Best phone ever.

Reactions: Sagar Khanapurkar

demigo

Oct 7, 2011
Male'
More than i can even count

How many times you dropped your phone without case ? What happened ? Did it survived ?
Can nexus get destroyed in single drop ?

Do you suggest other users to use case just to save it from an unfortunate drop ?

I have dropped my Nexus 5 a lot. More than i can even count. I last dropped it last night. tried to take it out from pocket, accidentally slips and fell to the tiles screen down. NOT even a scratch. It fell a couple times from 5ft high, nothing happend. I even dropped it while riding my motor cycle, well that left some scratch on upper left corner.. but nothing serious.. not even a scratch on the display.

I only used a back cover for a months. Took it away because there was no use for it.

All i want to say is though its a plastic build, nexus 5 is a beast.. solid as a rock..

Well this is my review.. others may have different experiences..

pgptheoriginal

Mar 16, 2011
Stockholm
First drop for my current N5 as well (I've had 4 :D ).
I placed it on the (very slippery) aluminum lid of my MacBook Pro, and put the two on a 2m tall shelf. Having completely forgotten about the phone being there, when I took the laptop back, the phone fell right on the marble floor. Luckily it had the original Google bumper case, and got no visible damage.
Now I'm home and I can't test it, but the most fragile internal component in smartphones is the GPS module AFAIK. I really hope it's not damaged :eek: one of my previous N5s had it damaged after a drop.

Suhail24

Nov 2, 2013
Dropped it 3-4 times now, no screen damage, just small scuff marks at the edge. One time the back cover kinda came off but just popped it back in place. Most of the time that it's been dropped, it's because of my siblings >.<. I've been lucky since I don't have any type of case.

tetris15

Oct 23, 2008
Budapest
Dropped only once. Into the bathtub. Full of water...
The phone did survive eventually tho, fished it out after a few seconds of underwater swimming, screen was still on, not responding to any touches. Managed to remove battery a few minutes later (10-15).
Disassembled to pieces and cleaned everything with clean alcohol, came back to life after a while, first only part of the touchscreen became responsive, a while later the rest too...
I am using the phone ever since, this was like 6 months ago...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Once I fell from scyscrapper. In the middle of falling I took my nexus from pocket to call emergency. In that particullary moment an eagle came across and hit me, so I released phone to catch the eagle for legs. But somehow there was also an elephant on the street who catch my nexus with his trunk. For one moment I was very happy but then it eat my nexus. Happily my uncle is friend of Batman and he phone to him to get help. Batman is really cleaver. With no problem he put his arm into elephant's butt and took my nexus 5 from it. No sctratches at all, just smells ugly.
    Dropped mine once from pocket height it had a Ringke Slim on it.
    None. *Pets phone*
    Thanks for your replies guys !! Feeling sorry for your drops..

Can someone please suggest me a good Glass Tempered Screen Protector ?? I don't want a costly one since I'll be buying it first time.

I'm a chemical engineer by trade and I have to say I'm very sceptical of a tempered glass screen protector. The only advantage I can see of tempered glass is improved scratch and erosion resistance. With regards to actual force, unless it's thick ~5cm it bears no favours to force dispersion. Upon impact it's the internal frame (if it even has one) which bears most of the force and if the force is enough it can disperse outwards towards the screen. That's why I say the best way to protect a phone is a heavy duty case which have crumple zones. I personally use a spigen slim case just so when I place the phone upside down it doesn't touch the surface of whatever I've put it on so there's no chance of micro scratches. In the event it does drop one day I will always buy a new phone because I can :)
    I was on a bike ride. The Nexus 5 was in a battery on a phone mount on my bike. Near the end of the long ride I had to get off the curb past the freeway entrance and back up the curb.
    As soon as I got off the curb, the phone popped up and off the battery pack attached to the phone mount.
    I just FREAKED OUT!! As a result, I jammed on the bike brakes and flipped off the bike. My shoes fell off and I landed on the asphalt.
    My buddy is like "are you ok?"
    Frightened about a possible shattered screen, I slowly reached over and and picked up my face down Nexus 5.
    Just a few slight scratches.
    "My phones fine, I'm ok."
    He's like - "are you ok??"
    "Yes! My phones fine, I'm ok!"

Till this day, I've still never used a screen protector. It flipped off my bike and landed face down on the asphalt road.
    Best phone ever.