[Q] Unlock and root Huawei H881C

Search This thread

whaevr

May 25, 2013
So I recently bought this smartphone from walmart under Straight Talk. And from my understanding it must be pretty recently released as I haven't found much in terms of unlocking/rooting/any posting about it on any forums. After numerous failed attempts at rooting it (z4root, poot, bin4ry, etc) I learned that I have to unlock the bootloader first. "Progress! Finally!" I think to myself, go to their website to request an unlock code....and it turns out my phone model isn't listed. At this point I figure if the company website is handing out unlock codes perhaps I can contact support...long story short, no. The support person didnt even believe I was on the right website when I told him you could request unlock codes, and proceeded to ask me the brand of my phone, twice. Go Figure.

Has anyone had any experience unlocking huawei brand smartphones? Is there anything that will help me out with something this new? I google it and get a crap ton of info on modems instead.

amazinglarry311

Apr 11, 2010
So I recently bought this smartphone from walmart under Straight Talk. And from my understanding it must be pretty recently released as I haven't found much in terms of unlocking/rooting/any posting about it on any forums. After numerous failed attempts at rooting it (z4root, poot, bin4ry, etc) I learned that I have to unlock the bootloader first. "Progress! Finally!" I think to myself, go to their website to request an unlock code....and it turns out my phone model isn't listed. At this point I figure if the company website is handing out unlock codes perhaps I can contact support...long story short, no. The support person didnt even believe I was on the right website when I told him you could request unlock codes, and proceeded to ask me the brand of my phone, twice. Go Figure.

Has anyone had any experience unlocking huawei brand smartphones? Is there anything that will help me out with something this new? I google it and get a crap ton of info on modems instead.

Use srsroot. I rooted mine with it. Works like a charm.

Reactions: whaevr

whaevr

May 25, 2013

Wow thanks! Took the words right out of my mouth hah, worked like a charm. So you have the same device as me then? Have you tried flashing any custom ROMs to it?? Thats what I ultimately wanted to do but I doubt any would have support for this phone..?

amazinglarry311

Apr 11, 2010
[ QUOTE=whaevr;41912176]Wow thanks! Took the words right out of my mouth hah, worked like a charm. So you have the same device as me then? Have you tried flashing any custom ROMs to it?? Thats what I ultimately wanted to do but I doubt any would have support for this phone..?[/QUOTE]

I wanted to try building clockwork for it, but I can't find the recovery partition. Without a concrete partition table, and not knowing if the recovery binaries are in initramfs of the boot.img, I'm weary of trying it as I don't have a a private PC to install fastboot drivers to test it. Once a custom recovery is built I can start working on a modified ROM and hopefully find some source for the kernel and try overclocking patches etc.

Maybe something like the roms I built for the Samsung optimus q. Or possibly starting an arearom development team over at Androidarea51.com

Out should only be a matter of time before interest picks up, it's one of the best phones straighttalk is offering for the price. If anyone is interested or has information on developing any of the custom recovery programs like twrp 4ext or cwm I'd love to start a team fit development.

I've found firmware files on some Chinese websites, but no straighttalk specific builds.

Last edited:
Reactions: EzSqueezeCheese

Jedicake

Jun 20, 2013
I apologize for reviving an old thread like this but I've been looking for a custom rom for my ascend plus for about a week now and no luck whatsoever, if you ever find any info, please, let me know!

Retro Gamer

Jan 7, 2012
..and they were never heard from again. :cool: Seriously though I'm curious if you made any progress? I'm having fun making this phone better, expanding my storage space with link2sd and anything else I can figure out. The HUAWEI H881C has low internal storage, but for the small price I'm not complaining. I liked it the 5 days I had it before I hacked it and its even better once its rooted and modified.

Besides my Android YINLIPS YDPG18 gaming pad the HUAWEI H881C is my 1st Android phone. Might be fun to try a custom rom on it. Good luck with it.

we have pulled the boot.img and recovery.img of the H881C and are currently working on a CWM Based recovery for this phone at androidarea51.com.. please hang on while we work this out... thanks...

Retro Gamer

Jan 7, 2012
SRSRoot the HUAWEI H881C/Ascend Plus

Its pretty easy rooting the HUAWEI H881C/Ascend Plus with SRS One Click Root in just a few minutes using the [Root Device (SmartRoot)] option.

Before you connect the phone to the PC make sure to go into phone settings and under Settings-->PERSONAL-->Security check/enable the “Unknown sources” option under the DEVICE ADMINISTRATION section. Then back out from there once into the main settings screen again and look toward the bottom under SYSTEM-->{ } Developer options and at the very top of that submenu check/enable the “USB debugging” option.

From a windows PC you will need java, the SRSRoot program available free from their website and the Huawei H881C’s ADB drivers installed. You don't need to find the ADB driver install because its actually in your phone. If you didn't notice before when you plug your phone into a PC it automagically mounts and maps a drive letter to an image/folder on your phone with the install executable for the ADB drivers. On that drive:\drivers\adb_driver you will find the driver installer exe named, "Handset WinDriver.exe".

HuaweiH881C.png

Once all that is installed reboot your PC if necessary. Make sure your phone is plugged in to your PC then run the program link that SRSRoot puts on your desktop by default. If you're on Vista, Windows 7 or 8 you might need to right click the shortcut and run SRSRoot as admin. The rooting process should take less than a minute if all is working correctly.

SRSRoot.png

I would try the [Root Device (SmartRoot)] option 1st. Once its finished rooting your phone SRSRoot will install SuperUser on to your phone and that's it you're rooted.

Good luck!

This will also work in a properly setup virtualbox install of windows. I myself used a virtualbox install of windows xp to root mine since I run arch based Manjaro linux on my PC.

whaevr

May 25, 2013
..and they were never heard from again. :cool:

Not really :\

From the androidarea51 forums, huawei board

"huawei is the new motorola as the locked bootloader is making it impossible to put cwm on the phone so far. we tried one the other day and bricked the device."

I would link to the post but Im not allowed being a "new" member and all

Retro Gamer

Jan 7, 2012
Ahhh thats too bad, maybe :fingers-crossed: some day someone will find a way. Thanks for the info!

"huawei is the new motorola as the locked bootloader is making it impossible to put cwm on the phone so far. we tried one the other day and bricked the device."

buddhaja

Dec 1, 2012
Well guys I believe I've pulled the boot.omg anyone know how to build cwm? I can't find my Ubuntu disk to setup the build environment

Sent from my HUAWEI H881C using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Huawei Pains

Sk8tr

Feb 19, 2014
Tacoma
Rooting H881C

found an even easier way using framaroot's Gandalf method one click no adb or anything but make sure its the most up to date version

Huawei Pains

Apr 25, 2014
Help please im a noob...

Okay, so I rooted my H881c with ease, but I've been looking for stuff I can do with it rooted. Ive changed boot animation that was fun, here and there changed some specs. I'm new to the world of modding and android, so i am trying to learn what flashing, kernel, nand are. I'm sorry i am a noob and ill admit it. But since i get have this phone through straight talk, i haven't received and ota updates and i really want to update to 4.1 jelly bean at least. is there anyway of manually putting the update or upgrade on my phone so i can be on OFW jelly bean? I'm sorry if thats a stupid question but no one has been able to answer my question because when i google this phone, no one has it or they have a different Huawei phone. any help guys please, it would be very much appreciated.

Iguanadon

Dec 18, 2011
Wise
Rooting this phone is your only option at this time.

Sent from my Amazon Otter using xda app-developers app

Huawei Pains

Apr 25, 2014
Well I know someone pulled a boot.img so hopefully I won't have to wait to long..

Sent from my HUAWEI H881C

crazynapkinman

Jun 16, 2014
OnePlus 8

REVIVAL!!!

What has happened to the recovery support for this phone?

I have checked everywhere and seen nothing!!

Is there a unlocker for this thing yet???

I'm so confused as to how I'm going to put a custom recovery on here.

What can I do????

P.S. I've tried to e-mail Huawei and they said they can't provide a code!!! WTF??!!!

crazynapkinman

Jun 16, 2014
OnePlus 8
And no one responds...

Is there a way I can start the process of unlocking bootloader?

Never tried before. A little help needed.

Sent from my NookColor using XDA Free mobile app

Apr 12, 2014
Battle Creek, MI
Well...

From what i can tell, the ball is rolling on the Huawei H881C Acsend Ace & have been watching it closely. They have managed to pull the system.img boot.img and recovery.img & successfully UNLOCK the bootloader. BUT the problem is that when they try to make the unlock stick, the "Sig Verify" fails and therefore, nothing more has progressed YET. :cyclops: Still hopeful. :crying:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm about to try to pull the boot.img and take a peek inside. Wish me luck.

[ QUOTE=whaevr;41912176]Wow thanks! Took the words right out of my mouth hah, worked like a charm. So you have the same device as me then? Have you tried flashing any custom ROMs to it?? Thats what I ultimately wanted to do but I doubt any would have support for this phone..?[/QUOTE]

I wanted to try building clockwork for it, but I can't find the recovery partition. Without a concrete partition table, and not knowing if the recovery binaries are in initramfs of the boot.img, I'm weary of trying it as I don't have a a private PC to install fastboot drivers to test it. Once a custom recovery is built I can start working on a modified ROM and hopefully find some source for the kernel and try overclocking patches etc.

Maybe something like the roms I built for the Samsung optimus q. Or possibly starting an arearom development team over at Androidarea51.com

Out should only be a matter of time before interest picks up, it's one of the best phones straighttalk is offering for the price. If anyone is interested or has information on developing any of the custom recovery programs like twrp 4ext or cwm I'd love to start a team fit development.

I've found firmware files on some Chinese websites, but no straighttalk specific builds.
    Well guys I believe I've pulled the boot.omg anyone know how to build cwm? I can't find my Ubuntu disk to setup the build environment