The Offical how I hard bricked my E4GT thread

Search This thread

iBustCh3rries

Jan 6, 2010
Well since I just bricked my phone I decided to start this tread. I figured it would be helpful for people to read to keep them from bricking their phone by not following the same process of the unlucky few who have hard bricked their device.

I flashed the Rogue CM9 kernel through Mobile Odin Pro and while on the FB17 leak from Calk which is where I think I made my mistake. when I went to flash CM9 alpha 3.1 it got stuck at install for about 15 minutes before i decided to the battery which I knew was a HORRIBLE idea. When I tried to boot back up all I got was a blue light. My guess is that the phone didn't like that I had a AOSP Kernel while on a TW rom and got confused and froze because it didn't know what to do next. The good news it that sprint is ever so gracious to provide me with a new phone coming in the mail on Thursday since they don't have any in stock. I just told them I got a update and when it installed it wouldn't boot back up and I should hopefully be back in business with some CM9 yumminess later this week :D thank the cellular gods for insurance!

Some users are reporting that mobiletechvideos.com is somewhere you can send your phone too have it brought back from the dead.

Last edited:

digitalcrash

Jan 7, 2011
Mount Airy
So I just got my second e4gt yesterday from hard bricking mine by flashing CM9 alpha 3 then flashing cwm touch recovery after I restored a nandroid of el29 it just wouldn't boot back

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
So I just got my second e4gt yesterday from hard bricking mine by flashing CM9 alpha 3 then flashing cwm touch recovery after I restored a nandroid of el29 it just wouldn't boot back

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

Everyone should hear this LEAVE CWM TOUCH ALONE ...... DON'T EVER TOUCH IT ... it is most of what is bricking these phones ... Unless they fix it don't use it for this phone .... How many people have to brick because of it .... Use the trusted acs rouge or cwm but not the touch

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Reactions: glassjosh

kali323

Jun 25, 2011
Kali
Somebody should make a sticky thread that warns people not to install the touch recovery from rom manager for this device. I notice everyone who hard bricked their device was by installing touch recovery through rom manager while using the leak ics roms or cm9

Reactions: Wizerest

sergioperalta81

Oct 13, 2010
correct me if im wrong but unless you actually burnt the processor out or dropped it in water ...couldn't u use a usb jig to just put you in download mode and odin from there worked on my fist galaxy s and fortunately i haven't had to use one sense ..and fyi really cheap and easy to make

iBustCh3rries

Jan 6, 2010
I got the exact same thing but my sprint reps think that the screen went out and are trying to replace it.

thats what happened to me as well after an hour of playing with it they decided to replace it.

the jig does nada for it just to answer that question goes

and I wasn't using touch recovery I was using rouge recovery for CM9... I think I screwed up trying to flash using the cm9 recoveery for a tw rom...

Last edited:

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
correct me if im wrong but unless you actually burnt the processor out or dropped it in water ...couldn't u use a usb jig to just put you in download mode and odin from there worked on my fist galaxy s and fortunately i haven't had to use one sense ..and fyi really cheap and easy to make

No sometimes there are hard bricks that don't respond to jig and only fix is a jtag ....happened alot with flashing international ROM ....bootloader would disable the USB port ....

shiftr182

Oct 5, 2010
Boise
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I got the exact same thing but my sprint reps think that the screen went out and are trying to replace it.
Tell them to put the chip in a different housing and see if it works, if its the screen it would work in a different housing. I did that with my og epic..

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

We really should make a sticky, or a thread that says DONT USE TOUCH RECOVERY!!! and just keep bumping it up to the top.

YoungAceAtlanta

Feb 8, 2009
New York, NY
instagram.com
Yup CWM Touch killed my evo during restore and data wipe.. 1st it soft brick my phone and had to factory restore a .tar and now it finally killed my phone. gotta pick up my replacement tmmrow

And yes i was using a ICS FBXX rom during this

albe070

Sep 23, 2010
What is the recommended way to flash to cm9 3.1 from the calks ics fb17 leak without bricking the phone?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

iBustCh3rries

Jan 6, 2010
Yep. Touch recovery seems to be the common denominator amongst the bricked phones. I was lucky enough to just get mine swapped out at a Sprint Service Center. I certainly won't be using CWM Touch for anything ever again.

I think the culprit is using an aosp recovery while on a TWIZ ROM... I would avoid that because I bet that is the issue...

HaiKaiDo

Mar 12, 2010
It doesnt seem to be just the Clock Work Mod Touch. It would seem that sbrissen thinks that in ICS the data partition or blocks are slightly different and this is causing errors when flashing ICS or back to GB from ICS. So id say for now stay away from ICS in general until this is completely sorted.

YoungAceAtlanta

Feb 8, 2009
New York, NY
instagram.com
It doesnt seem to be just the Clock Work Mod Touch. It would seem that sbrissen thinks that in ICS the data partition or blocks are slightly different and this is causing errors when flashing ICS or back to GB from ICS. So id say for now stay away from ICS in general until this is completely sorted.

so what do you say people do who have flash ICS and want to get back to GB without screwing up.. just use a .tar?

repl1ca

Apr 30, 2009
Chicago
You can add me to the list...also was using touch recovery. I wonder what Sprint/Samsung is thinking about all of our E4GTs coming in for repair hahaha

Sent from my (temp) Desire HD using XDA App

Rob4828

Nov 13, 2011
so what do you say people do who have flash ICS and want to get back to GB without screwing up.. just use a .tar?

Yes. I odin back to el29 stock with root and then install cwm rogue then restore a previous backup. The process is bit much but better to be safe than sorry

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    E4gt wasn't really brickable either until:

People saw ics test releases coming out for the intl gs2 and started flashing them getting the intl bootloader which rendered their usb port inoperable even though they could get intk odin dl mode.

Ics test releases started coming out for e4gt which ended up using a linux 3.0 kernel which has slightly changed how partitions are accesed. This coupled with a suggestion that people combine cwm touch with the new kernel caused the 2nd set of bricks.

Both these conditions didn't exist during tge og epic days you remember. There was far less confusion about the intl galaxy s and there was no 3.0 linux kernel with ics.
    Well since I just bricked my phone I decided to start this tread. I figured it would be helpful for people to read to keep them from bricking their phone by not following the same process of the unlucky few who have hard bricked their device.

I flashed the Rogue CM9 kernel through Mobile Odin Pro and while on the FB17 leak from Calk which is where I think I made my mistake. when I went to flash CM9 alpha 3.1 it got stuck at install for about 15 minutes before i decided to the battery which I knew was a HORRIBLE idea. When I tried to boot back up all I got was a blue light. My guess is that the phone didn't like that I had a AOSP Kernel while on a TW rom and got confused and froze because it didn't know what to do next. The good news it that sprint is ever so gracious to provide me with a new phone coming in the mail on Thursday since they don't have any in stock. I just told them I got a update and when it installed it wouldn't boot back up and I should hopefully be back in business with some CM9 yumminess later this week :D thank the cellular gods for insurance!

Some users are reporting that mobiletechvideos.com is somewhere you can send your phone too have it brought back from the dead.
    Oh I bricked my ET4G by........by.........No wait, Ive never bricked my sh** before. Lol.

4257422d-04c5-2caa.jpg

^^^What he said :rolleyes:

After I got the blue led of death, I took it into sprint and played dumb. (The guy from mobiletechvideos emailed me and said that he probably couldnt fix my phone) I told sprint that it dropped it the middle of an update, and wouldnt boot. Came back two hours later, and they said they tried to swap the screen. (Idiots) Left 5 minutes later with a brand new one. Social Engineering at its finest.
    Imo it is more productive to concentrate on providing solutions rather than ripping on each other.

It is hard to get down to the bottom of the issue with cwm touch fake flashed onto an ics linux 3.0 kernel when previously it had only been paired with a gb linux 2.6 kernel, especially when one is working blind and doesn't have the source for either.

I did notice the major/minor dev numbers changed for the /data partition between the ics 3.0 kernel and the gb 2.6 kernel while most of the other partitions stayed the same. That might explain why all the other partitions are fine and it is /data that is hosed. I would start there and see if there is any hard-coded partition info that wouldn't adjust.