[MOD][XPOSED] ActivityForceNewTask

Search This thread

jfriend33

Oct 7, 2010
Illinois
Could someone please explain what this module really does and why a person would need it? Thanks

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

neyenlives

Oct 11, 2010
Could someone please explain what this module really does and why a person would need it? Thanks

You know if you're in an app, and it has a link you click, how it opens your browser to open the link but now your place in the app is lost because it closed when you opened the link?

This forces the system to leave the app in the state it was in at the moment you clicked the link and the link will open in your browser like normal. So now you can easily switch back to the app you were in and pick up where you left off. (you know with long press home button)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

jfriend33

Oct 7, 2010
Illinois
You know if you're in an app, and it has a link you click, how it opens your browser to open the link but now your place in the app is lost because it closed when you opened the link?

This forces the system to leave the app in the state it was in at the moment you clicked the link and the link will open in your browser like normal. So now you can easily switch back to the app you were in and pick up where you left off. (you know with long press home button)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Ok thank you. I definitely need this.

Any tips on when you go back to another app and it seems like when you back up enough it closes the app instead of going to where you were before?

I can't think of a clear example but I will post it the next time it happens.

M.Barakat

Oct 8, 2012
Example
Dear Germain
I was using your module to make applications open in new "multi window" split of screen on my note 2.
But I can't get it to work on my new note 3.
I hope I am not off topic by too far :)

Attachments

• PicsArt_1407338261364.jpg
    PicsArt_1407338261364.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 954

osvanberg

Jun 2, 2012
Any body can help HOW to set up an activity for the black list? I don't get it! What to write in the text input field?

I have a app, Note Everything, that I totally want to exclude from this module since the module makes the "pro key"-app also show up in the recent apps list. But I can not figure out how to do this.....

Any body?

GermainZ

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Aug 3, 2012
Any body can help HOW to set up an activity for the black list? I don't get it! What to write in the text input field?

I have a app, Note Everything, that I totally want to exclude from this module since the module makes the "pro key"-app also show up in the recent apps list. But I can not figure out how to do this.....

Any body?
It's explained in the OP, please read that.

GermainZ

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Aug 3, 2012
Aha I see. Thanks for the help. Can't get it to work even thou I found the activity triggered and blacklisted it. But thanks anyway!
This module might not have anything to do with your problem. If you want to hide an app from the recents list, App Settings can do that.

Reactions: osvanberg

osvanberg

Jun 2, 2012
This module might not have anything to do with your problem. If you want to hide an app from the recents list, App Settings can do that.
This module do in fact create this "showing of the pro key app as well as the actual app"-problem. I know his since when I disable the module the problem goes away. How ever this problem only began after updating the note app in question to the latest release. If I down grade it, the problem also goes away. So I guess it's a combination of something new in the latest version of the notes app and this module that creates the issue.

Big thanks for the tip on App Settings. I will look in to this, maybe it can give me a work-around that solves my issue. Thanks! ?

hackel

Sep 14, 2011
Minneapolis
Recently I started getting toast messages with "Current Activity: com.whatever.whatever" every time I change activities. Could this possibly be caused by this module? I have logging turned off. I've been using ActivityForceNewTask since it first came out and have never seen anything like this, so I'm not blaming this module in particular, just curious. Seems like a debugging message.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction:
    Apps can launch other apps' activities inside their task. This makes it impossible to switch back and forth between the two. This module sets the FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK flag when starting a new activity, which 'fixes' that.
    Originally requested by jacknicholson here.

Screenshots explanation:
    attachment.php

Requirements:

Filtering:
    • A quick toggle is available in the settings. Just check "Disable module" and the changes will take effect immediately. No need to restart.
    • You can use the blacklist or the whitelist to filter activities. If the blacklist is selected, all activities except those excluded will launch in a new task. If you use the whitelist, only matching activities will launch in a new task instead. The preferred way to add entries is through the log.
    The activity components are output to the logcat. You can filter it for "activityforcenewtask componentString:" to see them. A line is logged for every started activity (you probably don't want to keep the log constantly turned on.)
    A log viewer is also present in the app. You can press a log entry to directly add it to the currently active list. I'd advise you to only enable the log when needed.

Source code:
    https://github.com/GermainZ/ActivityForceNewTask

Download:
    http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.germainz.activityforcenewtask

Changelog:
    2.1.3:
    • Compatibility with Lollipop.
    • Added Spanish translation and updated Portuguese (Brazil) and Slovak translations. Thanks to Jose Artuñedo, meatboy371 and ja-som.
    2.1.1:
    • The blacklist/whitelist settings are now only reloaded when necessary. Shouldn't make a big difference unless you have huge lists.
    • 4.4.3 fix: get the context using a different method (fixes logging on 4.4.3).
    • Added Portuguese (Br) translation by meatboy371.
    2.0.3:
    • Only use context for logging;
    • Try to get the context in an alternate manner if the first one fails;
    • Bug fix: current package wasn't being detected properly;
    • Only start activities in a new task when the caller does not expect a result (different, more general implementation.)
    2.0.2:
    • Reverted back to hooking ActivityRecord's constructor. Should solve the issue where some activities' launches weren't being detected.
    • Updated Slovak translation.
    2.0:
    • Ignore activities that are launched by their own apps;
    • Added filtering options back. You can choose between the whitelist and the blacklist, but the no filtering option has been removed;
    • Added help dialogs for the whitelist/blacklist/log;
    • Bug fix: duplicate log entries when returning to the app with the log viewer open.
    • Other minor changes: use icons for action bar items, reorder preferences.
    1.9:
    • Removed none/blacklist filtering options. The whitelist is always used now (renamed to "Enabled Components") which means that you must configure the module, as it won't do anything by default.
    • Reverted back to hooking Activity.startActivity(Intent, Bundle). Other methods used to start an Activity require the usage of FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK, so it doesn't actually make sense to hook anything else. Also removed the alternate way to get a context as it shouldn't be needed anymore.
    • Check if FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK is already set, and do nothing if that's the case (the activity won't be logged either.)
    • Updated Slovak translations (by ja-som.)
    1.8.1:
    • Fix some crashes at startup;
    • Add FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK flag instead of overwriting it. This fixes issues with XHalo and some apps showing in recents when they shouldn't;
    • Updated translations.
    1.7:
    • Different hook, the previous one didn't catch all new activities.
    1.6.1:
    • Removed unnecessary logging.
    1.6:
    • Added whitelist.
    1.5:
    • Added option to enable/disable the blacklist (and log.) The blacklist requires a few extra calls which are unnecessary if you don't use it, so I'd advise you don't enable it unless you need it.
    • Cleanup/better performance for the log viewer.
    1.4:
    • The mod will now only modify intents that should be modified. This should fix all breakage without needing the blacklist. \o/
    • Log viewer improvements: tapping on an item now removes it from the list after adding it to the blacklist, and a toast is shown to indicate if it's been added to the blacklist.
    1.3:
    • Use flat text file for storing the logs instead of SharedPreferences. This is much better for performance, especially if the log gets long.
    1.2:
    • The blacklist is now for activities.
    • You can enable/disable logging from within the app.
    • Added log viewer to the app. You can tap a log entry to directly add it to the blacklist.
    • Fixes.
    1.1:
    • Fixes for the two icons appearing in the launcher.
    • Disable text correction when adding a blacklist item.
    1.0:
    • Initial release.

• rovo89 and Tungstwenty for the Xposed Framework;
    • egingell for helping out with what to blacklist;
    • defim for advice on which intents to modify;
    • Ja_som for Slovak translation;
    • Sanguinus112 for German translation;
    • All testers. :)
    Never realized how annoying apps could be without this. I'll gladly donate if you could flash an AOSP ROM to update this to Lollipop and then do a restore back to TW!
    If you want to, please donate to someone who needs it more than I do. :) I noticed this post yesterday and I was planning to test if that's all what's needed for Lollipop support. A friend reported that it works, so please test it and let me know if it's fine for everyone as well. Again, I don't expect a donation and would rather see you give it to someone who needs it more than I do (or even rovo for his great work on Xposed).
    Update:
    1.4:
    • The mod will now only modify intents that should be modified. This should fix all breakage without needing the blacklist. \o/
    • Log viewer improvements: tapping on an item now removes it from the list after adding it to the blacklist, and a toast is shown to indicate if it's been added to the blacklist.

Enjoy! :D
    As I've said above, the reason for removing the blacklist was that it's affecting other developers by having unaware users complain to them/throw low ratings, and I didn't want that. That being said, I'm all for what's easier for the user without those side effects, which is why I've been trying multiple ideas (and multiple methods for each) to try and get rid of those.

I think 2.0 will be usable with the blacklist without affecting other apps (I've tested it with all the previous known issues and none of them are occurring.) I'm attaching a beta to this post for you guys to test, please report any issues and leave your feedback.
    Translators, please send an update when you can.

Changes:
    • Ignore activities that are launched by their own apps;
    • Added filtering options back. You can choose between the whitelist and the blacklist, but the no filtering option has been removed;
    • Added help dialogs for the whitelist/blacklist/log;
    • Bug fix: duplicate log entries when returning to the app with the log viewer open.
    • Other minor changes: use icons for action bar items, reorder preferences.
    You need to clear the app's data.

Also pasting a commit message here since it has some extra info and I'm too lazy to reword it:
    Since the module now ignores activities launched by and within their own
    apps, the blacklist shouldn't cause problems anymore, so I'm adding it
    back as the default. The 'None' option isn't needed anymore: it was
    originally added so some extra checks can be skipped, but they're now
    necessary anyway.

If everything works as intended, I'll push this update to the repo in a day or two. :)
    Minor update, mostly performance oriented:
    1.5:
    • Added option to enable/disable the blacklist (and log.) The blacklist requires a few extra calls which are unnecessary if you don't use it, so I'd advise you don't enable it unless you need it.
    • Cleanup/better performance for the log viewer.