[GUIDE] Permanent Root with Visionary/gfree (No ADB Required)

Search This thread

2G1J

Mar 31, 2010
Austin
I followed the instructions and decided to delete a bunch of the stock apps. However, when I reboot my phone and try and open up titanium backup it says it can't acquire root privileges. The apps didn't come back upon reboot and it says s-off when I hold vol down while powering up. Should I try the process again?

Tokinjedi

May 12, 2010
hayward, ca
These errors make it seem like some of the files didn't get properly pushed to your phone. Try doing this---follow the instructions from my guide, except instead of steps 4-6, run rage to get temp root and the root prompt instead.

no go, keeps giving me cp not found. seems something does not want to load where it needs to go.

so i tried a different way this time. pushed your perm_root file through adb to my phone then ran your perm root commands and got:

copying needed files
mkdir failed for /data/local/tmp, file exists
cp: not found
running gfree...
/data/local/perm_root: /data/local/tmp/gfree: not found
syncing data...
installing busy box...
mkdir failed for /system/xbin, file exists
cp: can't stat '/system/xbin/busybox': not a directory
unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: not found
installing superuser...
cp:not found
unable to chmod /system/bin/su: no such file or directory
syncing data:
#

perhaps i need to push the rest of the files from your root_files?

its like when i get the temp root terminal going, i don't really have temp root. even tho the hboot shows s-off. maybe if i can just flash a different recovery or something and get a rom on there ill be ok.

Last edited:

ianmcquinn

Nov 25, 2007
its like when i get the temp root terminal going, i don't really have temp root. even tho the hboot shows s-off. maybe if i can just flash a different recovery or something and get a rom on there ill be ok.

Yeah, that's actually what I'm thinking may be best for you. Since you do have S-OFF, you should be able to just flash a new recovery. Try using the PC10IMG on this post (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10583834&postcount=33). It'll restore your phone to stock, flash ClockworkRecoveryMod, and leave your engineering HBOOT.

And those errors you got make sense if the root_files directory is not located on your SD card. Is it there?

Reactions: Tokinjedi

ianmcquinn

Nov 25, 2007
I followed the instructions and decided to delete a bunch of the stock apps. However, when I reboot my phone and try and open up titanium backup it says it can't acquire root privileges. The apps didn't come back upon reboot and it says s-off when I hold vol down while powering up. Should I try the process again?

Was everything working before you removed those apps? Which apps did you remove and how?

Also, did you make a backup before doing so? You might just want to restore the backup if you have one and then remove the apps a few at a time to make sure it's ok (if you are using Titanium Backup, you might want to freeze the apps first instead to make sure your phone still functions correctly before actually uninstalling them).

ianmcquinn

Nov 25, 2007
i just rooted my friend's G2 following this guide.worked like a charm.only problem is i wanna flash the CM7 nightly but it requires Clockwork mod recovery 3.0.i have downloaded the CW 3.0 image file and try to push the .img using android emulator but it keep saying cant find file.currently running CM 6.1.any other option to flashing the cw 3.0 image file to the device?

I think I responded to you in the ClockworkMod thread, but in case you didn't see it:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=902493

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=900460

2G1J

Mar 31, 2010
Austin
Was everything working before you removed those apps? Which apps did you remove and how?

Also, did you make a backup before doing so? You might just want to restore the backup if you have one and then remove the apps a few at a time to make sure it's ok (if you are using Titanium Backup, you might want to freeze the apps first instead to make sure your phone still functions correctly before actually uninstalling them).
Yes, everything was working until I rebooted the phone. I followed the steps again and it seems to be working now.

Tokinjedi

May 12, 2010
hayward, ca
Yeah, that's actually what I'm thinking may be best for you. Since you do have S-OFF, you should be able to just flash a new recovery. Try using the PC10IMG on this post (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10583834&postcount=33). It'll restore your phone to stock, flash ClockworkRecoveryMod, and leave your engineering HBOOT.

And those errors you got make sense if the root_files directory is not located on your SD card. Is it there?

SUCCESS! ran the file from the link and changed the recovery. able to get root terminal in emulator. will i be able to update to the newest clockwork recovery with this? will flash enoms official and let you know how it goes.:D

installed enoms official with no problems. have full root access now through terminal, titanium, ect.
Thanks for all the help, give you another thanks if i could.

ends up i could and did.

Last edited:

ianmcquinn

Nov 25, 2007
SUCCESS! ran the file from the link and changed the recovery. able to get root terminal in emulator. will i be able to update to the newest clockwork recovery with this? will flash enoms official and let you know how it goes.:D

installed enoms official with no problems. have full root access now through terminal, titanium, ect.
Thanks for all the help, give you another thanks if i could.

ends up i could and did.

Awesome. Glad you got it all working!

bibow

Jul 8, 2010
how do I know my device is rooted?

Hi. just followed the guide and no problemes appeared. But when i hold down volume down and the power button it just starts as normal. any ideas?

ianmcquinn

Nov 25, 2007
Hi. just followed the guide and no problemes appeared. But when i hold down volume down and the power button it just starts as normal. any ideas?

Did you keep holding the volume down button until it turned on? While the phone is off, you should hold volume down and then press the power button. Keep holding the volume down button until you see the phone turn on.

Should be a white screen with green text at the top and three little green Android robots on skateboards down at the bottom.

bibow

Jul 8, 2010
Did you keep holding the volume down button until it turned on? While the phone is off, you should hold volume down and then press the power button. Keep holding the volume down button until you see the phone turn on.

Should be a white screen with green text at the top and three little green Android robots on skateboards down at the bottom.

yeah. tried that.. notting happens. any other way I can check if its rooted? or should i just try it again? (do it all over)

ianmcquinn

Nov 25, 2007
yeah. tried that.. notting happens. any other way I can check if its rooted? or should i just try it again? (do it all over)

Try typing su in terminal to see if it works (should also get a popup asking you to allow superuser access). This only works if you are rooted.

You can also install an app like Titanium Backup (it checks to see if you are rooted each time you start it up).

Still doesn't explain why you can't get into the bootloader though. That should work regardless of whether or not you are rooted.

turok_14373

Mar 4, 2009
omg omg omg. i had put off rooting my phone til a guide like this came along. s-off baby. thank you. domo. muchas gracias, dankie, merci, grazie,

deliriousDroid

Dec 8, 2010
If I already have permroot no s-off through visionary, would this work for me to get s-off?

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

djquestt

Oct 24, 2009
I just wanted to say thank you I'm sure many peopleincluding myself has put off rooting because previous guides were so confusing you are both a scholar and a gentleman

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

quickwiz00

Dec 11, 2007
I just want to say, thank you so much for all the time and work you have put into helping others.

I am a first time android user and recently purchased the G2. My phone came with the OTA factory installed, my build number is 1.22.531,8......

I followed the directions exactly and when I enter boat loader, S-off is displayed. Does this mean my phone is perm rooted?

The reason I ask is because when I download titanium backup and then try to run it I get a message saying "Sorry, I could not acquire root privileges...."

Also, I have placed a non T-mobile sim card in the phone and the sim card is readable and I also get service, indicating the phone is sim unlocked.

Finally, super user permissions has given Titanium backup root access. Not sure if this matters but I chose not to perform the engineering hboot.

Edit: It appears all I had to do was upgrade busybox in titanium backup. Thanks again for this awesome guide

Last edited:

borodin1

Jan 3, 2009
Minneapolis MN
While I'm fairly good with ADB, I found this guide very helpful and it made things so easy that I rooted my wife's G2 in less then 5 min (using ADB of course to type everything, I'm not that great with G2's keyboard). It literally took me at least 2 hours to do it on my MT4G so I can't thank you enough for the script. Now, if only life was that easy :)
Once again, thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After seeing lots of users struggle to root their phone with the existing guides (or worse, brick their phones), often times because of an inability to install/use ADB correctly (so they hobble together steps from multiple guides), I decided to write up a guide for rooting without the need for ADB. This guide uses the Visionary program to achieve temporary root and then gfree to achieve permanent root. Visionary is used only for the temporary root and nothing else (since many on these forums are wary of the app for permanent rooting). All of the gfree steps were scripted together to make things more convenient (and allow less room for user error in typing things in). This has been tested to work with multiple G2s and theoretically should work with the Desire Z as well (if you have the 1.72 OTA though, you will need to downgrade first in order to root as per the instructions in the wiki). All credit goes to the original developers of these programs and those others who aided in achieving root originally (I didn't add anything new content-wise, just bundled it up nicely).

WARNING: A few Desire Z users have reported being stuck on the HTC logo after following this guide. Without having a Desire Z myself, it is difficult to figure out why (since this simple automates known working methods). For the time being, I recommend Desire Z users obtain permanent root using one of the other guides out there.

Instructions
    1. Install Terminal Emulator and a file manager (such as Astro File Manager) from the Market.
    2. Extract the contents of the zip file to the SD card (this will create a directory called root_files on the card). When done, make sure you unmount your SD card from your computer if you had mounted it as a storage device to transfer the files.
    3. Enable Unknown Sources (under Settings->Applications) and USB Debugging (under Settings->Applications->Development).
    4. Using your file manager, navigate to the root_files directory on your SD card and select "com.modaco.visionaryplus.r14.apk" to install the Visionary app.
    5. Start the Visionary app.
    6. Click on "Temproot now." Leave all other settings unchecked.
    7. Start the Terminal app.
    8. Type the following commands (the $ and # symbols represent the command prompt and should not be typed):

Code:
    $ su
    # cp /sdcard/root_files/perm_root /data/local/perm_root
    # chmod 777 /data/local/*
    # /data/local/perm_root

You will see multiple messages scroll by as the programs run. Once you are returned to the prompt in terminal, you will have permanent root (S-OFF), as well as subsidy unlock and SuperCID. At this point, you can also choose to flash the engineering hboot as explained in the wiki. Flashing this hboot allows you to use the flashboot program to flash images from your computer to your phone (which can be very helpful when stuck in a bootloop for example). Note, this is often times the step that bricks people's phones when following other guides. To help mitigate the danger involved, I created a script that first checks the md5 of the hboot file to ensure it didn't get corrupted and then actually performs the flash (many times the bricking occurs because of a typo in this command). If you wish to flash the engineering hboot, type the following command in terminal if you have a G2:

Code:
    # /data/local/tmp/flash_hboot

Or this command if you have a Desire Z

Code:
    # /data/local/tmp/flash_hboot_z

If you get a verification failed message, you should re-download the files, re-extract them to your SD card, and run the flash_hboot script again.

If you don't want the engineering hboot, just reboot your phone. You can verify you have permanent root by holding volume down while powering on (you'll see S-OFF in the first line of the bootloader). You are now free to install a new recovery and start flashing custom ROMs. If you don't want to flash a new ROM, it's safe to uninstall the Visionary app at this point.

And if you are curious, you can open the perm_root and flash_hboot files in a text editor to see what they are actually doing...
    I wish I had seen this last night before I spent 4 hour trying to get ADB to see my wife's new phone. Oh well got it working the hard way :p
    I just bought a T-mobile G2 as well, and I love the phone as is, but I just want to root it, so I can over-clock the cpu just a little bit (maybe about 1Ghz is fine). Can I use this method and keep the phone as is? Or does this method delete everything and I need to use custom rom? I'm coming from original MyTouch 3G (without 3.5 jack) rooted with CM, but I am still a newb.

Once you root the phone, everything will stay as is. Here's a link to overclock to at least 1 GHz on stock ROM: http://theunlockr.com/2010/10/20/t-mobile-g2-overclocked-to-1-42ghz-how-to-overclock-your-t-mobile-g2/
    However, it's required you first set up ADB.
    What I meant was is it okay to just change the kernel and run stock ROM that came with my T-mobile G2? Would it not change anything except for the clock speed?
    You can just change the kernal and you would be ok... check out cyanogen mods bacon bits... which is just an over clocked cyanogen kernal and a couple other things... but it runs on top of the stock rom... which I believe is what your looking for...

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
    i have a G2 with OTA update. i have tried to perm root with visionary without success and i want to try this out. do i have to downgrade my G2 as well before trying this or just the desire users? i also can't find any 1.72 number on the information tab in my G2, how can i check that?

This shouldn't be the problem. Confer: http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=HTC_Vision#November_2010_G2_OTA_1.22_Update