Otterbox Defender Series for HDX 8.9

Search This thread

endo689

Aug 25, 2010
Belmont
Hey guys just received my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 today. Prior to ordering the tablet, I had been searching for days, a case that would ultimately protect my tablet in a way that I could throw it in my backpack and not worry about it being with large textbooks, etc. I eventually decided in picking up the Defender case from Otterbox for the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. Seeing as how I only just today received my tablet, I will after having spent some considerate amount of time (a few days) post a full review for those that are curious. In the mean time, I will post photos of the case, the stand and overall look with the tablet inside.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388786072730.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388786072730.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 506
  • uploadfromtaptalk1388786111800.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388786111800.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 480
  • uploadfromtaptalk1388786134165.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388786134165.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 469
  • uploadfromtaptalk1388786156095.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388786156095.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 465

sorcerer1

Nov 10, 2012
I have this for my hdx 7 and love the total protection it provides

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

CmdrCrichton

Dec 28, 2013
That's pretty nice! I only wish I could shell out the money for myself..

Sent from my KFAPWI using xda premium

endo689

Aug 25, 2010
Belmont
One thing I have noticed for sure is that this case adds a substantial amount of weight.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

EatingPie

Jun 27, 2013
Screen Distortion / Dimming?

How much does the screen protector affect viewing? Does it sit flush against the screen? Visible mciro-scratches after cleaning the protector?

I hate putting screen protectors on, but the HDX needs one really badly. This seems like a good way to go, but only if it doesn't harm viewing.

Thanks!

-Pie

endo689

Aug 25, 2010
Belmont
How much does the screen protector affect viewing? Does it sit flush against the screen? Visible mciro-scratches after cleaning the protector?

I hate putting screen protectors on, but the HDX needs one really badly. This seems like a good way to go, but only if it doesn't harm viewing.

Thanks!

-Pie

Overall the protector sits flush with the screen and I have noticed only one micro scratch that is barely noticeable. The protector doesn't interfere with image clarity and quality either. Will say though that if you are a perfectionist about keeping dust out you may need a couple of tries before you get it all out.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

endo689

Aug 25, 2010
Belmont
Good morning everyone. Finally having had this for a couple days here is my review of the Defender series case from Otterbox. For this review I have decided to break it down into two sections: installation followed by the case itself. I noticed a lot of folks bring up issues with getting their tablets in which is why I split the review into two sections.

Installation:

As many others have noted in their own reviews of this product taking the case apart can be a pain in the butt. If you watch the video that Otterbox provides via YouTube it should be much easier. Myself I had issues removing the outer layer not realizing to pull the port protectors first, thus making it much easier to remove. Once off you then have the interior plastic shell to split apart. Beginning from any of the four clips marked with arrows was easy enough. If you have any problems try using a gift card, etc and run it along the edges. Now open you just set your awesome Kindle Fire HDX inside and proceed to put it back together again.

Case Review:

So as I said in my opening post for this thread I had been looking for a case that could offer the best overall protection for my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. Being a college student I wanted something that would allow me to toss it in my backpack with my textbooks, supplies, etc and not have to worry it would be crushed. That's when I came across the Defender series from Otterbox. First thing to note when using it is how much more weight this thing adds. It's not enough to get you to return it but enough that it is noticeable. The built in screen protector is excellent. I have not noticed any negative effects to overall screen clarity or image quality whatsoever. Nor does it feel like it's on there unlike some of the other Defender cases where there is a gap between the screen and screen protector. Protection wise I feel very safe bringing my tablet anywhere because of this thing. Having port covers is a huge plus and also comes with a front cover which doubles as a stand that provides two different viewing angles which you can see in the pictures provided. One aspect that is kind of annoying is how much pressure you need to apply to the power button. I noticed that because I have to squeeze that side of the case to press it, the plastic shell to puts a lot of pressure on the screen causing it to distort. Just like when you apply pressure to any LCD display. This alone has made me change the way I hold it and press the power button. Keep in mind too the price for this great case. At $79.99 online it's not exactly cheap though that's the price you pay for ease of mind I guess. Overall I would give this case a 5 out of 5. Hope this helps for those still on the fence about purchasing this bad boy. If there is anything I left out that you have questions about feel free to ask me. Never done a review before so please bare with my mob noob status.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hanzo.Hasashi

endo689

Aug 25, 2010
Belmont
$79.99 you can find it online from retailers such as Amazon, etc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good morning everyone. Finally having had this for a couple days here is my review of the Defender series case from Otterbox. For this review I have decided to break it down into two sections: installation followed by the case itself. I noticed a lot of folks bring up issues with getting their tablets in which is why I split the review into two sections.

Installation:

As many others have noted in their own reviews of this product taking the case apart can be a pain in the butt. If you watch the video that Otterbox provides via YouTube it should be much easier. Myself I had issues removing the outer layer not realizing to pull the port protectors first, thus making it much easier to remove. Once off you then have the interior plastic shell to split apart. Beginning from any of the four clips marked with arrows was easy enough. If you have any problems try using a gift card, etc and run it along the edges. Now open you just set your awesome Kindle Fire HDX inside and proceed to put it back together again.

Case Review:

So as I said in my opening post for this thread I had been looking for a case that could offer the best overall protection for my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. Being a college student I wanted something that would allow me to toss it in my backpack with my textbooks, supplies, etc and not have to worry it would be crushed. That's when I came across the Defender series from Otterbox. First thing to note when using it is how much more weight this thing adds. It's not enough to get you to return it but enough that it is noticeable. The built in screen protector is excellent. I have not noticed any negative effects to overall screen clarity or image quality whatsoever. Nor does it feel like it's on there unlike some of the other Defender cases where there is a gap between the screen and screen protector. Protection wise I feel very safe bringing my tablet anywhere because of this thing. Having port covers is a huge plus and also comes with a front cover which doubles as a stand that provides two different viewing angles which you can see in the pictures provided. One aspect that is kind of annoying is how much pressure you need to apply to the power button. I noticed that because I have to squeeze that side of the case to press it, the plastic shell to puts a lot of pressure on the screen causing it to distort. Just like when you apply pressure to any LCD display. This alone has made me change the way I hold it and press the power button. Keep in mind too the price for this great case. At $79.99 online it's not exactly cheap though that's the price you pay for ease of mind I guess. Overall I would give this case a 5 out of 5. Hope this helps for those still on the fence about purchasing this bad boy. If there is anything I left out that you have questions about feel free to ask me. Never done a review before so please bare with my mob noob status.