[XAP] SMSBackup V0.9, Backup & Export SMS/MSN/Facebook Messages [Updated 2012-05-19]

Search This thread

shinichi_wtn

Jun 25, 2009
Beijing
So put it to folder \applications\Data\09125EA9***\Data\IsolatedStore ?

You ment "sms.xml" or "CommsBackup.xml"?

Thanks.
As NebZoNe said, if you just want to import old sms to SMSBackup app, you can backup the "sms.xml" to your computer and then use Isolate Storage Tool to re-insert "sms.xml" to the app.

If you want to restore sms in windows phone. the SMS actually stored in "\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore\store.vol". To backup and restore this file will keep your text messages and contacts remain the same.

I try to use the provision way to copy an old backup store.vol to the origin location, after doing that, the messages and contacts do not change to an old state. But when I restart my phone, it works!!! My contacts and sms are now restored from an old store.vol.

Then if we want to flash or upgrade our phones while keeping our short messages and contacts, we first backup the store.vol. After flashing we put it back.

In the next version(v0.4), I will implement a restore feature.

Reactions: NebZoNe

D@vide

Dec 27, 2005
here
Hi, as already mentioned this app works fine on my htc Mozart. Thank you very much for your efforts :)

Now I'd like to try what you already did, so, could you explain how to to use the provision way to copy an old backup store.vol to the origin location? Tools and procedure I mean, cause with wpdm can't access that path.

Thank you

D@vide

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
I'm not sure that copying the backupstore.vol is going to do any good (that is, it's a backup, not the live store, so who knows if the phone will care?) but if your provision driver is working (i.e. you can etract the file to begin with) copying it back is pretty easy.

First, get the file onto your filesystem. You can use any number of tools for this; I typically go with the webserver app. Isolated storage explorer also works, as does SkyDrive if you change the extension to .txt (will appear in your \My Documents folder) Remember the full path (for example, \Applications\Data\<APPGUID>\Data\IsolatedStore\<FILENAME>). Then, install the DiagProvXML app. You can use it to craft a File Move provml pretty easily, and it will execute it for you. If you need, the MSDN documentation for provxml FileOperation is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb737563.aspx with example: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb737633.aspx

Of course, if you have a working HtcUtility driver (see the HtcRoot project), you can use the HtcRoot version of the WebServer app. It will soon have the ability to upload a file to anywhere.

Reactions: Kamereone

D@vide

Dec 27, 2005
here
I'm not sure that copying the backupstore.vol is going to do any good (that is, it's a backup, not the live store, so who knows if the phone will care?) but if your provision driver is working (i.e. you can etract the file to begin with) copying it back is pretty easy.

First, get the file onto your filesystem. You can use any number of tools for this; I typically go with the webserver app. Isolated storage explorer also works, as does SkyDrive if you change the extension to .txt (will appear in your \My Documents folder) Remember the full path (for example, \Applications\Data\<APPGUID>\Data\IsolatedStore\<FILENAME>). Then, install the DiagProvXML app. You can use it to craft a File Move provml pretty easily, and it will execute it for you. If you need, the MSDN documentation for provxml FileOperation is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb737563.aspx with example: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb737633.aspx

Of course, if you have a working HtcUtility driver (see the HtcRoot project), you can use the HtcRoot version of the WebServer app. It will soon have the ability to upload a file to anywhere.

Tank you very much! I'll try as soon as possibile, I'm so busy at work now :/

shinichi_wtn

Jun 25, 2009
Beijing
Hi, as already mentioned this app works fine on my htc Mozart. Thank you very much for your efforts :)

Now I'd like to try what you already did, so, could you explain how to to use the provision way to copy an old backup store.vol to the origin location? Tools and procedure I mean, cause with wpdm can't access that path.

Thank you

D@vide
GoodDayToDie have told the technical part very clearly:)

Now you can directly use SMSBackup V0.4 to backup and restore "store.vol".

ruyzalim

Jan 17, 2007
stock
don´t work here with my hd7 with nextgen rom 2.5 it gives me this error: " Ccan not import sms or no sms can be imported"

anyone can help?

thanks

edit:
i installed latest version and now i got this: " import failed Can not copy sms from system" :(

Last edited:

shinichi_wtn

Jun 25, 2009
Beijing
don´t work here with my hd7 with nextgen rom 2.5 it gives me this error: " Ccan not import sms or no sms can be imported"

anyone can help?

thanks

edit:
i installed latest version and now i got this: " import failed Can not copy sms from system" :(
The messages are extracted from "CommsBackup.xml". This error means that you can not copy "CommsBackup.xml" to IsolateStorage. In other words, can not use provision xml to copy native files.

shinichi_wtn

Jun 25, 2009
Beijing
Something like... Value does not fall into he expected range...

Try uninstall the old version first and then install the new version.

If the error still occurs, you can help me find the problem. I rebuild a xap which is enabled to show StackTrace of the exception. So please deploy the file attached and tell me the error in detail, then I'll find and fix the problem, thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: kirk999

p34cdc2

Oct 22, 2007
Oxford
Installs fine on my HD2 and will backup to isolated storage but crashes every time immediately after logging into SkyDrive (before exporting messages)

Same here, but with the workaround below my files ended up in Skydrive.

I used Touchexplorer and copied the two files (sms.xml and sms_export.txt) from \Applications\Data\09125EA9...\Data\IsolatedStore to My Documents. Renamed sms.xml to sms.xml.txt. Then went to Office -> Phone, the two files are now visible as M$Word files, and can be uploaded to Skydrive from context menu -> Share.

darthveda

Oct 18, 2009
Bangalore
Redmi Note 9 Pro
I have focus and 0.4 fails for me as well, with the same error mentioned about value out of range.
I installed the test version and this is the message:
Import failed, Failed to build recipient to contact index at
System.throwhelper.throwargumentException(ex...)

wpxbox

Oct 24, 2011
Kolkata
Latest Version has issues :

Import Failed. Value Does not fall within the expected range.

Samsung Focus 8107

shinichi_wtn

Jun 25, 2009
Beijing
I have focus and 0.4 fails for me as well, with the same error mentioned about value out of range.
I installed the test version and this is the message:
Import failed, Failed to build recipient to contact index at
System.throwhelper.throwargumentException(ex...)
Thanks very much for your feedback, I find a small bug under certain conditions in v0.4 when handling contacts. The next version(v0.5) will fix this error. You can use v0.3 currently.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [XAP] SMSBackup V0.9, Backup & Export SMS/MSN/Facebook Messages [Updated 2012-05-19]

[Introduction]

Thunder_ in XDA have found that windows phone itself has a backup mechanism, it may backup messages on a regular basis, and store it at "\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\BackupVols\CommsBackup.xml" (see this link), so we can take the file, extract it and then we get our messages. Before version 0.7, the app automatically copy the "CommsBackup.xml" to IsolateStorage and extract them to readable sms.

Since CommsBackup.xml is generated by the system, we can't controll it. We often get only part of our messages because CommsBackup.xml doesn't contain newest ones.

The sms/msn(also many other datas) in Windows Phone actually stored at "\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore\store.vol". It is an EDB database. We can use native EDB API to explore and extract it. From Version 0.7, the app use this way to extract our messages and will never rely on CommsBackup.xml anymore:)

[Compatibility]

The app should be compatible with devices supported by WP7 Root Tools(need to mark the app as Trusted)
    Also support fully-unlocked phones

[Features]

1. Automatically extract messages in store.vol, can sort messages by conversation or by sending time, can filter messages by contact, start/end date and keyword.
    2. Export messages in txt/xml/csv format to IsolateStorage or SkyDrive.
    If you export messages to IsolateStorage, you can use any IsolateStorage tool to download them to your computer.(The ID of this app is 09125ea9-95de-469a-aedc-22e35389ab0a);
    If you export messages to SkyDrive, they will be uploaded to your SMS folder in SkyDrive(The folder is private, thus "just me")
    3. Backup and restore "store.vol" and "PimIndex.vol", you can backup these two files before you flashing ROM and restore it later. This will keep your messages and contacts remain the same.(This feature is for professional users only)

[Versions History]

V0.9
    1. Reduce memory usage(tested with 100,000 messages)
    2. Speed up message importing process(faster than previous versions)
    3. Add csv export option
    4. Facebook messages will show Facebook friend's name(not the ID number in v0.8)
    5. Switch backup mode(SMS or MSN) in Setting page.
    V0.8
    1. Add feature to backup MSN messages. You can switch backup mode(SMS or MSN) in the menu bar
    2. Change UI of message list, looks more Metro now.
    3. Improve contact identify algorithm.
    4. Optimize the compatibility with WP7 Root Tools.
    V0.7
    1. Extract sms from store.vol directly, now you can backup and export all short messages and will never rely on CommsBackup.xml.
    2. Optimize for fully-unlocked ROMs. If your phone is fully-unlocked, the app read store.vol directly; If your phone is interop-unlocked but not fully-unlocked, the app will copy store.vol to IsolateStorage and then read store.vol(because directly mount store.vol will cause Access Denied exception)
    3. Add more setting options and remove exit confirm.
    V0.6
    1. Add support to backup and restore both store.vol and PimIndex.vol.
    2. Increase max waiting time for file operation to 15 seconds(older version is 6 seconds). This may help those who have very big CommsBackup.xml or store.vol(>10MB)
    3. In order to find how WP store contact's index in PimIndex.vol, I add a test feature(Click "test" in the menu bar) and need your feedbacks. Thanks!
    V0.5
    1. Add feature to export filtered messages. You can enable this in setting page.
    2. Simplify setting page, no "save" button now.
    3. Fix a bug in V0.4 which may show "import error: Value Does not fall within the expected range" when the app starts.
    V0.4
    1. Integrated with phone's contacts. For each message, the app will show contact's name if the phone number exists in any of the contacts, otherwise it will show pure number as before.
    2. Add feature to filter sms. You can filter messages by contact, begin/end date and keyword. This will allow you search sms more quickly.
    3. Add feature to restore system sms database store.vol, you can restore all sms and contacts after you flashing rom
    4. Fix a bug when uploading txt to SkyDrive, the text document sometimes become incomplete or even blank.
    Known bugs: Under certain conditions, it may show "import error: Value Does not fall within the expected range"
    V0.3
    1. Add double-language support(both en-US and zh-CN)
    2. Fix the bug in V0.2 that the app may crash when uploading sms to SkyDrive
    Known bugs: When uploading txt to SkyDrive, the text document sometimes become incomplete or even blank
    V0.2
    1. Add feature to export txt format
    2. Add feature to upload sms to SkyDrive(some guys think IsolateStorage is not convenient)
    3. Add feature to Backup system database "store.vol"
    4. Fix some bugs that do not automatically update sms
    Known bugs: the app may crash when uploading sms to SkyDrive

[Tutorial - How to backup and restore your sms]

The sms and contacts information(also many other datas) actually stored at "\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore\store.vol". To backup and restore this file will keep our text messages remain the same. Also, there is a file in the same folder named PimIndex.vol which contains contacts' indexes. WP use it to search contacts. So you must also backup and restore this file.

Below is the methods:
    1. Open SMSBackup app(version>=0.6), go to "Export & Backup" page, navigate to "Backup", there are two buttons for backup and two buttons for restore.
    2. Click "Backup store.vol" button to backup "store.vol", then the file will be copied to "BackupVols/store.vol" in IsolateStorage, you can use any IsolateStorage tool to download it to your computer(the same with PimIndex.vol).
    3. When you need to restore sms and contacts(for example, after flashing a new ROM), you find the store.vol and PimIndex.vol you have already backup in your computer, use IsolateStorage tool to upload the two files to BackupVols folder.
    4. Open SMSBackup app and navigate to the same page in step 1. Click "Restore store.vol" button, then click "Restore PimIndex.vol". When both have executed. Restart your phone immediately.
    Important Note(Updated 25/2/2012): If you flash a new ROM, please add/sync live account first and then restore store.vol and PimIndex.vol; After restoring, sync again. If you failed in this way, you can restore store.vol and PimIndex.vol first and then add/sync live account. Since we do not know how WP manage accounts and other infos, so different problems may happen after restoring. Feedbacks and suggestions on restoring feature are welcome.

Important Note: the restore feature in version 0.5 is not perfect. It can restore all text messages and contacts successfully. But you may encounter the problem with searching contacts or wrong profile pictures in the People Hub. Thanks to the feedbacks by kahiro, 2new, AshleyT. The reason is that we haven't backup and restore PimIndex.vol. Now I'm researching on how WP store contact's index. I think we can modify this file to add indexes by ourselves. every contact is a 12 bytes in PimIndex.vol. I don't know what it means. If you can help me, please open SMSBackup V0.6, Click "test" in the menu bar to navigate to a new page, then click "Get Contact Index Format" button and reply the format string it shows(for example 01-00-00-00-02-00-07-00-8E-00-00-00). Thanks!

There are some users say the app may crash when login or upload to SkyDrive while some others do not have this problem. I use Microsoft Live SDK to connect to SkyDrive, I do not know if the SDK have some compatibility issues. I'll continue to find if there is anything wrong. Thanks for your feedbacks.

At last, thanks to Thunder__ who find the CommsBackup.xml file and endeffekt who find the store.vol file (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1072796); Thanks to the DiagProvXML app, I use the COM libraries to copy native files in early versions. Thanks Heathcliff74's wonderful guide on native code. Thanks to GoodDayToDie, he gave me good suggestions and idea.

Early versions download stats
    V0.3 - 1897 views
    V0.4 - 830 views
    V0.5 - 1922 views
    V0.6 - 1322 views
    Working fine on NextGen+ ROM, HD7.

I'm wipping together a small tool to read the exported txt files.
    Should be finished soon

RY7ua.jpg
    THX for your useful reply. I know there are some problems with LG ProvXML. I hope and wait for the next version of SMSBackup. So you suggest to backup these files manually. Is it possibile with WP7 Root Tools ? Can you write me the path of these two files ? THX in advance ;)

Path of the two files:
    \Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore\store.vol
    \Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore\PimIndex.vol

Now new version(V0.8) is available, you can try this version to backup these two files. Let me know if it works.
    GoodDayToDie,

Thanks for pointing that out.
    Both the phones are mine & both have been registered with the same WLID.
    I wanted to test restoring SMS from my primary device (HD7) to the Samsung Focus. Both of these are currently running DFT Freedom ROMs.
    Perhaps I understood wrongly where the IsolateStorage actually is.
    I use WMDC enabler to browse the phone's storage & made manual backups from the HD7 & copied them to the Samsung Focus.
    Is that correct?

Konker

Yes. Before you restore, you should install and open SMSBackup app first. Then you can use any IsolateStorage tool to upload your backup store.vol and PimIndex.vol to BackupVols folder of my app's IsolateStorage(09125ea9-95de-469a-aedc-22e35389ab0a).

I've attach an image to show where you should put your backup files, hope you understand.
    Tester needed

Update to version 0.6. This version allows you backup and restore both store.vol and PimIndex.vol.

Now I'm researching on how WP store contact's index in PimIndex.vol. Every contact appears in the database is a fixed length array of byte. The length is 12. For example 01-00-00-00-02-00-07-00-8E-00-00-00.

Now, I find that 8E(142) is the unique ID of the corresponding contact(in Contact table of store.vol). But I am not sure that every phone is the same. Also, if the contact's ID is larger than 256, for example 257(I only have 200 contacts...), how the array will like to be. 01-00-00-00-02-00-07-01-01-00-00-00 or 01-00-00-00-02-00-07-00-01-01-00-00 or something else...

So I add a test feature in v0.6(Click "test" in the menu bar). I need your feedbacks, thanks!