[Q] Nexus 7 stuck in X Loading Screen

Search This thread

davast

May 28, 2007
Warrington
Hello everyone, I have my grandson’s Nexus 7 2012 model (out of warranty) as it would not switch on or power up. I am not sure what version software is on it, but he has had it over 12 months & it is the stock rom.

After reading various web sites, it seemed apparent that the battery was not charging. I took off the back cover & pulled out the power supply from the power cradle & reconnected it. Put the back cover on, connected the device to the docking station, switched it on & got the google name up then the four colours X logo.

Found a youtube video from “The First Resistance” that showed how to “wipe data/factory reset”. I followed all the instructions, from Restart Bootloader to Recovery Mode & Wipe Data/Factory Reset & finishing with rebooting the system, but when I power the device on I still end up with the four colours X loading screen. I have done this 3 times now and still cannot get away from the X loading screen.

The only difference I have on the Fastboot Mode screen is I have 8 lines of info, he has 10 lines of info.
His extra lines are:
Bootloader Version
Secure Boot - enabled(in green text)

His SIGNING line = yes, my SIGNING line = not defined yet.
His LOCK STATE - LOCKED in white text, my LOCK STATE - LOCKED in red text

On the third try, I also actioned the “wipe cache partition” as well, but no joy.

I have a MacBookAir using OSX Mavericks 10.9.1 and I have tried to link over usb to the Nexus 7, but nothing shows up on my MBA. I have followed a few threads with similar problems but I do not understand some of the terminology used. Haven’t done any ROM flashing since my iPaq 2210 days.

Can any one help with how I get out of this loop please?

bez_iom

Nov 25, 2012
It may need you to reflash the system which you can do once you have unlocked the bootloader. If you unlock bootloader you will lose all user data. Then you may as well flash whole system again and start fresh. Look here for more details.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#instructions
Someone with more knowledge can give you detailed instructions but reading this may help.

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app

davast

May 28, 2007
Warrington
Thanks bez_iom. That's a lot of reading, will give it a go. But first I need to find out how exactly to unlock the bootloader.
Also, if I get the Factory Image from Google's web site, can that be flashed across once I have unlocked the boot loader?