Weird One S - S3/S4?

Search This thread

BelegUS

Jul 15, 2014
Hello and greetings from Poland! ;)

Guys, please, help - I'm a new happy owner of HTC One S, which i received from China/Singapore (heaven knows) just today.

I bought Z520e (S4) version, naturally. Telephone was bought as "brand new", but I know it may probably be refubrished (mini scratches on camera border, copy-like instruction) - I have no problem with that.

But...
Telephone is fantastic, to begin with. Anyway, I spotted the 3G/HSDPA problem (it only works on EDGE). During internet lecture, it became very hot (even warmer than my Xperia U under stress), and I thought "holy cow, and what if I received S3 one?". When I opened the upper part (where microSIM card is), i spotted small, black sticker. It said "Z560e".
"Oh noes", I thought - I called the seller and said I want a refund (Z560e not Z520e, USB cable not working <"Unknown device" error>, 3G/HSDPA not working). He said it is not a problem.

But...
I used non-OEM USB cable, and Windows normally identified device, installed the drivers, and telephone started working as mass storage. I installed benchamrks and device info apps: Quadrant, Antutu, CPU -Z. And this is the moment when things get interesting.
Results from those programs (sorry, I'm in work, and unable to post screenshots, so i will write down the most interesting parts):

CPU-Z:
CPU Architecture: Krait
Process: 28nm
GPU Renderer: Adreno 225

Those are S4 internals oO

Antutu:
Brand: htc_europe
Why phone from China/Singapore, having problems with European (Poland) 3G/HSDPA is marked as "htc_europe"? oO

Quadrant:
Product: ville
It says "ville", not "villec2" or something - so is it Z520e? oO

CPU:
Name: ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
Max speed.: 1512Mhz
BogoMIPS: 13,53

Quadrant full test result: 4993.
Result is benchmark is much closer to S4 than S3 (more than 1000 from S3)...

Guys, please, tell me my phone is in fact S4, not S3...?

foeti

Jan 20, 2013
Quadrant score and CPU speed say it's a S4.
You could enter your bootloader and search for the entry in upper part of screen for wether VLE (ville) or VILLEC2

To enter bootloader just hold vol down button while pressing power button for 10 sec.

BelegUS

Jul 15, 2014
Quadrant score and CPU speed say it's a S4.
You could enter your bootloader and search for the entry in upper part of screen for wether VLE (ville) or VILLEC2

To enter bootloader just hold vol down button while pressing power button for 10 sec.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm afraid I can not get into Bootloader - my device isn't rooted, this may be the case...

Well, all in all, it's good news that my device seems to be S4. :) What is more, I checked the box - it says "1,5Ghz CPU" and "Z520e" - look's like during refubrish someone used Z560e body part, and did not care about stickers...

EDIT: I checked my CID with "CID Getter" - it says I've CID 11111111, aka "Super CID". Is it good, or is it bad, and if good - what can I do with it? :)

Last edited:

TheEndHK

Apr 25, 2011
Thanks for the reply!

I'm afraid I can not get into Bootloader - my device isn't rooted, this may be the case...

Well, all in all, it's good news that my device seems to be S4. :) What is more, I checked the box - it says "1,5Ghz CPU" and "Z520e" - look's like during refubrish someone used Z560e body part, and did not care about stickers...

EDIT: I checked my CID with "CID Getter" - it says I've CID 11111111, aka "Super CID". Is it good, or is it bad, and if good - what can I do with it? :)

Welcome to the wonderful One S world, I can't believe here keep coming with new owner for a discontinued product. If you are looking for a cheap android slim phone with enough power, this is still the only solution.

Was very hot this board but some people theirs One S already broken after two years and some got budget to upgrade or their network carrier forced to get new contract with new phone. So, I think at least half of the users been gone but still many decided to stay because it's just too hard to get a small android phone when the world is spammed with real large screen.

Super CID is good, don't worry and you can do S-OFF with that.

null0seven

Oct 1, 2013
Iasi
Youre phone is S4 (Krait). Procesor speed is S4 (about 1500).
S3 is not Krait. Speeed is about 1700 (overclocked).
You can do what you want with phone. Don't push buttons that you don't understand what they do. First reed about it.
This phone is still Great!