[Q] Is my display losing brightness? Or is it a bad app?

Search This thread

Jamesyboy

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago, IL
So,

Today I was messing around with GO Launcher EX and GO Locker, and I didn't like the performance, at all...so I did a search and found an app called spare parts that was supposed to help the animation speed, after a while of messing around, I noticed that my display wasn't nearly as bright as it was an hour ago. I checked and made sure that the display brightness setting was set to 100%, and that auto-adjust screen power was turned off, and the display was still about half as bright as when I started today.

How can I test if I messed something up? Or is this normal for a AMOLED display? Is there an app I can download that will force the brightness to go to 100%, to see if some app is messing with it? What the heck is going on.

Emmmmmooooo rrraaagggeee!!!

Jamesyboy

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago, IL
So I got a app that controls brightness , and in fact confirmed that the default controls were only boosting brightness to around 80 percent. What can affect the settings like this? Using automatic brightness, or changing the brightness through anything but this app leaves the screen dimmer than it normally is. I can't even use the touchwiz settings widget.

Jamesyboy

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago, IL
So, to further report on this odd behavior,

After further investigation, the brightness with auto-brightness seemingly drops light output further than the "0" setting in my brightness app, and further than the slider allows manually adjusting via the settings>display panel. Odd.

So,
I disabled all auto-brightness via the settings in the TouchWhiz apps (read: the browser and the video/audio player), and was just controlling brightness via the app I installed.

Later today, i turned on auto-brightness again via the Power Saving widget, and the issue where the screen dims farther than any manual settings allowed was gone. Again, i only have an issue with max brightness now-- using both the system settings panel to adjust brightness as well as using auto-brightness via both the power saving widget as well as the system settings panel.

So, in summary: the max brightness issue remains, and i can only set it to about 80% without using the brightness app i installed (the app allows me to set it to 100%....where as in the system settings, the slider goes to 100%, and stays at 100%, but the screen looks like its at about 80%. Using the brightness app i installed allows me to boost it back to 100%, but as soon as i change the brightness in the system settings app, or the power saving widget, it maxes out at 80. The slider moves all the way to 100%, but i'm only getting 80% brightness).

Jamesyboy

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago, IL
Note:

I have no apps installed that affect brightness...0. None of my apps have anything remotely having to do with the display, audio, or it's settings.

nomoiphone

Jan 14, 2011
PNW
Maybe you can help me?

I turned off the auto brightness in the system settings/display/brightness but it seems that the screen starts to dim (sometimes). I hate this...I have to touch the screen to retain brightness. I don't want auto dimming...I want the level I set (which is about half way on the slider).

Where can I find a master override?

VonEsch

Dec 31, 2010
Ventura, CA
Maybe you can help me?

I turned off the auto brightness in the system settings/display/brightness but it seems that the screen starts to dim (sometimes). I hate this...I have to touch the screen to retain brightness. I don't want auto dimming...I want the level I set (which is about half way on the slider).

Where can I find a master override?

Adjust screen timeout. This happens when your screen is going to automatically turn off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

JVogler

Mar 3, 2010
Was there ever a solution to this? I am now starting to get this issue of screen will not respond to 100% brightness...and the option to change display brightness is greyed out in settings. It seems to be a problem with 'power savings' which I would like to completely remove from my phone as even when I turn it off, it is keeping me from adjusting my screen brightness when below 20% battery...and with my 5400 mah battery 20% is a full 8 hour day left...really irritating...only way to solve is to charge above 20%...or go enable power savings, then disable it again...but problem returns every time the screen goes off.